Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help....

Options
  • 04-11-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

In 5th year I was apsent quite alot, got thrown down to foundation maths because I was missing so much and now that im in 6th year im back up in ordinary maths but dont know what to do. Iv always been fairly crap at maths and now that im trying to catch up on aload of stuff I missed and try to understand what it is im doing in the class, im begining to wonder if I should drop down to foundation again. What do you lot think, I really am afraid of failing maths in the LC because I just dont know whats going on half the time.

The other thing is im not sure what im going to do when I leave school, iv got afew ideas but nothing set in concrete.

EDIT: Think it would also take alot of presure off me if I was in foundation. But at the end of the day I want to be able to do something worth while with my life and that may mean college. What colleges would accept me with foundation?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you were absent a great deal in 5th year you could always consider repeating sixth year to give yourself a proper run at it. If absenteeism was the only reason you dropped it would be a shame not to give yourself the chance to do as well as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

spurious wrote: »
    If you were absent a great deal in 5th year you could always consider repeating sixth year to give yourself a proper run at it. If absenteeism was the only reason you dropped it would be a shame not to give yourself the chance to do as well as you can.

I was forced down to foundation, didnt have a choice in the matter. This was around mid january and I only got back up to ordinary again 3 weeks into 6th. So as you can gather I missed a great deal of work. On top of this I missed 55 days in 5th year due to health issues. So the stress that ordinary level maths is getting to me quite alot. Really annoys me because I got an A in junior cert level.

Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Check with your teacher to see if they can take you during some of your free classes or in at lunch, if they can't try some of the other maths teachers in your school. You also might want to get grinds if you're able to.
    Look at the exam papers and pick which questions you think you could manage and focus on understanding these, remember you only need six from paper one and five from paper two -including the option. In class the teacher often covers all of the topics, and if you're finding it tough try not to stress because you will be able to leave out some of it.

If you're only looking to pass the paper you can focus on doing the A and B parts of the questions, which are usually very straight forward.
    Also, this website is quite good: http://justmathtutoring.com/
    It's full of step by step videos, I found it very handy!

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

I really think you could do OL if you try hard at it. I think the key is doing exam questions. If you don't understand the question find the section in the book, or look up marking schemes. My maths teacher has had us doing questions from the exam papers, and we do a certain question and do all the years down to 2003. It really does help, because you get used to the format of the questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Thanks for all the help. I think im going to stick with OL untill the mocks and see what happens. If I fail miserably ill drop down if not ill stick with it. Think thats proberly the best approach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement