Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More surreal news from the Twilight Zone!

• 04-11-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

You may like to click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y before proceeding to read the attached article hot from today's Enniscorthy Guardian.

Dick Fearn must have finally cracked with the strain of recent months or maybe the Irish Traction Group are going to run the line with an A-class and some 'steam' heated Cravens. I love steam......:pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

How very very very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder how often those 1500 rail users use the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Barrow bridge is in an awful state. IE have been looking for an excuse to close the line for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I think you are incorrect here. I believe the Barrow bridge is in quite good nick and has had work done on it in recent times - if I can find the relevant info I will post here. You must remember that CIE have been looking for an excuse to close the entire rail network for years not just the Barrow bridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Given the number of landslips and other closures on the Dublin-Wexford, I think it would be insane to close the only other route out. We found out in Malahide what happens when the alternate route (in this case Drogheda-Navan-Clonsilla) being unavailable means equipment is trapped.

• Advertisement

dowlingm wrote: »
    Given the number of landslips and other closures on the Dublin-Wexford, I think it would be insane to close the only other route out. We found out in Malahide what happens when the alternate route (in this case Drogheda-Navan-Clonsilla) being unavailable means equipment is trapped.

That is very true. But CIE never factor in such eventualities to closures as they know that whether a service runs or not, they still get paid. Like many semi-states, they have a "suckling" mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is the Barrow Bridge still restricted to 5 mph?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

DWCommuter wrote: »
    That is very true. But CIE never factor in such eventualities to closures as they know that whether a service runs or not, they still get paid. Like many semi-states, they have a "suckling" mentality.

Of course, the rather sad fact is that the route is actually quicker than driving between the two points but through a combination of innovative marketing, timetabling and work practices, IE have managed to reduce rail travel on the line to barely nothing.

Hungerford wrote: »
    Of course, the rather sad fact is that the route is actually quicker than driving between the two points but through a combination of innovative marketing, timetabling and work practices, IE have managed to reduce rail travel on the line to barely nothing.

We agree on that, absolutely.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Is the Barrow Bridge still restricted to 5 mph?

Judging by this photo it is.

looking-along-the-line-at-barrow-bridge-02_resize.jpg

• Advertisement

DWCommuter - are you a closet dribbler? Is that your own pic taken from near Kilmokea halt? :D

DWCommuter - are you a closet dribbler? Is that your own pic taken from near Kilmokea halt? :D

Sorry to disappoint JD! But I came across it doing some work related research on Great Island power station and remembered the question that was asked.

Anyway...5mph....ya gotta worry!

It's the high point of the journey between Rosslare and Waterford and the view is magnificient. In any event I would be more alarmed if the speed limit was any higher. Still suspect your a trainspotter at heart and I recall meeting you on a railtour some years ago!

Still suspect your a trainspotter at heart and I recall meeting you on a railtour some years ago!

:D No, definetely not a trainspotter. Interested in railways yes,(as you know) but not the escapades of trainspotters. As for the railtour, it was my second one (you didn't buy me a drink) and all in the interests of supporting a good friend that labours in a shed in Carrick-on-suir. Havent been on one since, but Im open to offers as I find them to be an extremely effective way of getting inside the head of a trainspotter. Interestingly they seem to be full of trainspotters from across the pond, who found a reversal and a loco "run around" at Limerick junct, worth photographing, while I found it embarassing and hopelessly out of date. Thats the difference JD!;)

Advertisement