Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Dell .. turn off Raid

Options
  • 04-11-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

I am upgrading a Dell System with a new Hard drive as the old ones were giving trouble . Originally it was setup with two HD's in Raid ... I am not familiar with the whole Raid thing as I have never used it but now I am installing a single 1TB Hard Drive . Problem is every time it boots it says Drive 2 not found . It gives me the option of F1 to continue ( and then it boots into windows ) or F2 to run setup . When I go into the bios there are four options for Raid , auto dectect /ahci , autodetect / ata , Raid on ..and combination . Is it one of these I should chose or is there a jumper on the MB that turns off Rain all together ?

Any help would be appreciated .

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Auto detecting the drives should tell the system the number of drives connected to the system and fix the problem. So try this "option autodetect / ata".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

jonski wrote: »
    I am upgrading a Dell System with a new Hard drive as the old ones were giving trouble . Originally it was setup with two HD's in Raid ... I am not familiar with the whole Raid thing as I have never used it but now I am installing a single 1TB Hard Drive . Problem is every time it boots it says Drive 2 not found . It gives me the option of F1 to continue ( and then it boots into windows ) or F2 to run setup . When I go into the bios there are four options for Raid , auto dectect /ahci , autodetect / ata , Raid on ..and combination . Is it one of these I should chose or is there a jumper on the MB that turns off Rain all together ?

Any help would be appreciated .

John

Depends on the board and BIOS. Some, Intel mostly, will have their RAID controls under a separate BIOS which loads after the main one. CTRL+I to access that one normally. For nVidia and some other chipsets, you'll need to switch the mode away from RAID, either to ATA or AHCI. This sounds like the one you have. AHCI and ATA will both need to have drivers already in the Windows install if you intend to switch it now. ATA should already be there, AHCI may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks for the replies guys ............ was looking for that Ctrl I as I had seen it before but it wasn't giving me the option .............. as it turns out , there is no limit on my level of stupidity .. the problem was actually in the Bios under Drives , Drive 2 was set to On instead of Off ... changed that and all is good now .

Advertisement