Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sunderland game sat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

2-1 to spurs i would say. jones is out for them and he would have given our defense problems. defoe and palacious for spurs, bent for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

2-0 Defoe,Keane.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Kranjcar really needs to start this and Jenas in place of HUdd. The fact i am even considering Jenas proves how litttle I think of the consistent underperformances of the HUdd. All eyes will b on Keane to see if he ups his game which has been terrible of late and doesnt warrant a place in the starting 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah I've lost all faith in Hudd. He's now had his chances and unless he improves dramatically over the remainder of the season should be offloaded in the summer with a suitable replacement brought in. Jenas and Nikko if Lennon is not fit.

hudd, jenas, keane and palacious in midfield

no width at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Lucky to be still a goal up at half time,not playing well at all imo.Palacios putting passes astray all over the place,we have to buck up our ideas after the break or it's going to be another bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Trying to find a stream for this is frustrating as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

2-0, Hudd. Gomes saved a Bent penalty!

• Advertisement

Quality play by Defoe holding up the ball and weighting the lay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Thats why we sold him :D:D:D:D

Good man Gomes, redeemed himself!

Ah Darren. Hopefully this doesnt come back to haunt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

YES 2-0.

In the bag Huddlestone.

Backl on track lads.

This Saturday has been a football wet dream for me. Had Alexander first to score against City 25-1 and Young for Villa 9-1. Sweet as :D

Good result but a bad performance today,thank god Gomes was on top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

It's a funny old game.
    Great for large spells v Stoke, beaten 1 zip.
    Rubbish for large spells v Sunderland, and win 2 zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Delighted for Gomes. Blatant dive by Bent. Fair enough Gomes made it fairly easy for him but I don't know how the ref gave a penalty considering the excellent angle he had on the incident. We needed that result though. City drawing with Burnley makes it even better, now all we need is for Arsenal to lose to Wolves :pac:

SuprSi wrote: »
    Delighted for Gomes. Blatant dive by Bent. Fair enough Gomes made it fairly easy for him but I don't know how the ref gave a penalty considering the excellent angle he had on the incident. We needed that result though. City drawing with Burnley makes it even better, now all we need is for Arsenal to lose to Wolves :pac:

Personaly thought it was a pen and probably a red card.

harry tried the diamond formation today and we were eaten alive for the first 60 mins. keane was taken off then and kranjcar went on and we reverted back to 4-4-2 and we came back into the game

gomes was outstanding, absolutely outstanding. king went off after 58 mins, anyone know why?

harry showed today that defoe and crouch are his top strikers i think. we have lennon and modrci back for next game so keane and huddlestone will drop to the bench. great 3 points

Just watched the penalty incident there again,a dive if ever i saw one,Bent was diving from the second he touched the ball.justice done imo.

Crazy tactics today.
    No width at all.
    I thought he was just accomodating the 3 strikers by playing them. Krancjar should have started, at least he'd give some sort of width even if he does like going inside. Playing keane defoe and crouch from the start will never work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

poor performance today but 3pts at the end of the day. city droppin pts as well.

agree no width. 3 strikers wont work either i think, its too easy for a full back to have nothing outside him on the wings and the look up n see crouch towerin over a defender and we become a long ball team.
    personally think bent dived but he could easily have got one in the first half. he ws on his way down as soon as he touched the ball. ref could not have got a better view. if it was a pen it was a red card. why did he not give that? i think he may have realised he made the mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

side note

he is still a spurs player so its not entirely off topic on a spurs forum, some goal by jamie o hara today! belter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

keane=cock wrote: »
    personally think bent dived but he could easily have got one in the first half. he ws on his way down as soon as he touched the ball. ref could not have got a better view. if it was a pen it was a red card. why did he not give that? i think he may have realised he made the mistake

I think he realised that 30 seconds later when he didn't give Defoe the peno, so that evened that out, imho.

I definitely thought that Harry was playing with what was available to him, and that the absence of Lennon meant we couldn't play to our usual strengths, but the substitution in the second half showed that we had options, so it's strange that Krancjar didn't start.....I'd say he will next time.

That said, great positioning by Robbie for his goal (and good determination once the keeper saved the first attempt) and a cracking goal by Huddlestone!

Onwards and upwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Delighted to win & the 3 points.

Bit concerned with our form, which has been very shaky the last few weeks. Lets face it, we were very lucky today!

I think Harry only played the formation he did because Lennon & Modric were still out and he has no faith in anyone else in the squad! So he tried to squeeze his 'favourites' into a bit of makeshift formation - always a big mistake IMO.

Got away with it, but really we need Lennon & Modric back asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I think Harry only played the formation he did because Lennon & Modric were still out and he has no faith in anyone else in the squad! So he tried to squeeze his 'favourites' into a bit of makeshift formation - always a big mistake IMO.

Yet when he took his favourites off and went 4-4-2 we looked a better team all round. Palacios was sh1t until Niko came on, then he only had the one job to do and was much better. Even Huddlestone improved...

Maybe the lesson needs to be you play players on form, and those that are fit?

Keane on the bench in two weeks time please, and Woodgate/Dawson CB partnership please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Yet when he took his favourites off and went 4-4-2 we looked a better team all round. Palacios was sh1t until Niko came on, then he only had the one job to do and was much better. Even Huddlestone improved...

Keane on the bench in two weeks time please, and Woodgate/Dawson CB partnership please.

Agreed mate.
    We're gonna learn a lot about Harry when he announces his next team.
    I just hope he has the balls to leave Keane on the bench.

Yep, thats exactly what i meant. I've always been a big believer that teams with shape and balance will always be more effective than teams artificially glued together just to accomodate certain players..

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

lads do you not feel that when we play crouch we become a long ball team and become less of a threat ?

lads do you not feel that when we play crouch we become a long ball team and become less of a threat ?
    The team's balance will always be more important than any individual player selected. As proved by our disjointed efforts for 60 minutes yesterday.

However, I agree, because of Crouch's height, he does tend to have a greater influence on the team's style of play than most players.

I really think Harry is struggling for options. He clearly doesn't fancy Pav, Bentley, Bale and a number of squad players who never get a game.

Just as a side-note, Hunterlaar has failed to settle with Milan & looks like he'll be available in January on a cut-price deal. However, i'm beginning to have my doubts whether he is top-class - he's now failed in the Spanish AND Italian leagues - not looking great is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

We become a long ball team when we play with no width and an un-natural shape, as witnessed vs Arsenal and for 70mins yesterday, as we have no wide options in midfield and the full backs are afraid to push up. Thus, when BAE or Corluka receive the ball they are left with the option of launching long to Crounch or go back across the park.

Playing Crouch does not require long balls, in fact he is a relatively poor header of the ball and seems too easily muscled out by defenders. BAE's cross yesterday for the Crouch knock down was exactly what we can and should be doing with him.

Playing with shape and a proper gameplan will deliver with Crouch on the park, and he should be in the team based on the current form of Keane.

Advertisement