Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4,000 new jobs for Tallaght in a redeveloped Square

Options
  • 04-11-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thesq.ie/content/vision.html

Great news for the area given the current economic climate. A new flagship Pennys' store and multiplex cinema too. The 'one small legal issue' seems pretty damn vague though.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The legal issue is that the carparks are owned separately or something like that and the new development will be build on the car parks so the owners agreement is needed. However SDCC can force it through if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you can cover **** in as much glitter as you want, it's still ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Excellent contribution there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i think maybe they got jealous of liffey valley !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Cookie Monster, fair enough, you can express your opinion on the Square if you like, but take it easy on the profanity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

4,000 new jobs? Ya right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Excellent contribution there.

I thought so...

But seriously I would hope the design of the new center is a bit better, its terrible at the moment.
    With the number of buses going there I would also hope that they put in a proper decent terminal there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I thought so...

But seriously I would hope the design of the new center is a bit better, its terrible at the moment.

agreed. their logo is currently a fiddler on the roof !!! AFAIK he was a pedophile in a movie !:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good news.

Be nice to see it get spruced up and get some new shops. It's fallen a bit behind the newer big shopping centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It'll still be a hole, unless they get a nice security filter like Dundrum has had the past few years and boots out the skangers. Good news is that it might continue to distract certain elements from blemishing Dundrum Town Centre with their presence, although admittedly there has been an unfortunate rise in sightings of them of late there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Ah i dunno. I went there as part of a School Tour in the Early Nineties & when I got more mobile in my 20s, I flitted between Square & Mill in Clondalkin.
    I think it's quite nice & the recent renovations in the corridors where the lighting has brightened the place up no end help greatly.
    There's already a River Eye-Land there. 3 Opticians (Vision Express, Specsavers & Third-Eye downstairs). The Cinema is pretty good I think. Watched Role Models in it in Febuary 1st Time I'd been to Cinema in aeons & enjoyed the experience.
    The Easons is well-stocked & I was able te get my Local Carlow Papers there every week which was a God-Send.
    HMV is in an ideal location as I'd wager 90% of Shoppers come in around that way.
    Hence also why McDonalds, Boots, Vodafone & Hickeys are all within spitting-distance of each other.
    The plethora of fast-food joints is PERHAPS an indictation of the Socio-Economic Group Square was aiming for when it was in planning. Far from yir' Epicurean Food Halls or Other Posh Type Eateries were "we"* West Dubs rared-on.
    I think it great to have choice of Garden Restraunt, Graham O'Sullivans, MacDonalds, Abrakebabera, Eddie Rocketts, Beshoffs, BK etc. there. It get my cholesterol-busting vote over likes of Dundrum any-day (Dundrum's for Yum-Mum?).
    And of course Tesco which usedta be 24 Hrs. is now gone to 7-12 & Dunnes is there too.
    Two Big Supermarket Chains in One S.C. Are there any other examples of such a thing in any other S.C. in Dublin?
    And then there's the added bonus of transport links being unreal in choice to get there plus when you're in the area, I find it very walkable around. From Smiles to Papa Johns to Blu Bar to Polish Shop to Civic Theater to D.I.D. Electrical, Chartbusters, American Golf Apparel etc. it's really extremely blessed.
    I remember being in Dundrum S.c. Once & Once Ondly & thought it was too fashion-orientated & too much for the ladies & not enough for the lads.
    Square to me is more family orientated & that's more important to me anyway.
    I ondly have ONE complaint about Square & Tallaght in general.
    I don't live there & haven't been since being laid-off in Febuary when I also vacated my rented accomodation.
    I'd love to live in any of those apartaments opposite or similar. It'd be qare handy spot to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Rb wrote: »
    It'll still be a hole, unless they get a nice security filter like Dundrum has had the past few years and boots out the skangers. Good news is that it might continue to distract certain elements from blemishing Dundrum Town Centre with their presence, although admittedly there has been an unfortunate rise in sightings of them of late there.
    Rosemount Court in Dundrum is suposedta be pretty run-down yet residents would I imagine go in to S.c.
    Are security not up to job? Never realised you had to be a Yummie-Drummie of a certain pay-scale to shop there & that by association, ondly the plebs in or dregs of society could go to Square.
    Well, to paraphrase Commitments (well butcher it!), if Northsiders are Blacks of Dublin, what are West Dubliners from Tallaght, Clondalkin, Rathcoole, Saggart & Newcastle? The Mongrel Chislers of Capital? The Underbelly of Dublin? The Placenta or Cancer on Dublins' Shopping Elite?
    Well By God, I thank Allah I'm that pleb, that dreg, that drain & that yes, I'm a Mongrel Child, yes I'm the Placenta & yes I'm proud in this case to be a Cancer.
    I love shopping in Square S.c. & amn't judgmental & would welcome all types of shoppers be they Culchies, Red-Necks, Dubliners of Any Hue & Of any Earning Potential & People Not From Ireland too. After all, money's money. Any shopkeeper will tell you that. They don't differentiate where the money comes from & its' value doesn't change.
    Come shop today & every day in The Square Tallaght!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Rosemount Court in Dundrum is suposedta be pretty run-down yet residents would I imagine go in to S.c.
    Are security not up to job? Never realised you had to be a Yummie-Drummie of a certain pay-scale to shop there & that by association, ondly the plebs in or dregs of society could go to Square.
    Well, to paraphrase Commitments (well butcher it!), if Northsiders are Blacks of Dublin, what are West Dubliners from Tallaght, Clondalkin, Rathcoole, Saggart & Newcastle?

The Mexicans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I was delighted to hear this new last week.

I recently purchased my home beside the square in an apartment so i naturally have a vested interest. I think it will really help the areas economy out. Lots more retail jobs which will really be welcomed if they don't take too long. Im hoping it continues to improve Tallaght.

The building jobs will be extremely sought after i expect.

Tallaght has a bad rep for alot of reasons, but i find the central location of it has significantly improved in recent years....before it gets dark ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jerry lee

A lot of my mates are unemployed and could definitely do with a job there. They also say there'll be 2,000 jobs during construction.

That has to be good news!!!

Let's all sign - www.thesq.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There's already a multiplex in the Square. Does this mean it'll be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jerry lee

i'd say so... they could hardly have two... anyways, the old one's a bit grotty... even the 'premium' seats don't seem that good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would say the new one will be built on a different location, and when that's finished they'll close the old one.

It will be great when it's done, I try my best to avoid UCI, I always head to Vue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I grew up 20 mins walk away and am now living overlooking the pyramid and working behind it, so safe to say I make good use of all it's amenities.

It was a great S.C when it was built but has fallen behind the standard, but internally it's getting there, externally it looks the same but what can ya do. To be fair I do tend to do more clothes shopping in Dundrum and I can't stand the UCI cinema as the seats give you a numb bum after 10 mins so I either go to Liffey Valley or Dundrum. So with the new renovations that'll bring a big pennies and assumedly a better cinema I can't wait. Just hope they don't start tearing it up in the next year as I am literally at the car park so construction at 7am in the mornings would be none too pleasant but if it's bad i'll move to a non roadside apartment next year.

Advertisement