Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kobayashi to Force India ?

• 04-11-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that with Toyota leaving F1, that Kobayashi and Force India would be e good fit ? Two underdogs together. I'd like to see it. I think Kobayashi would hugely increase Force Indias fan base as well

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

TBH he can probably do better. He's come from nowhere and driven a dog of a car to 6th place after only 2 races....

18th of 25 in drivers standings isin't bad either considering only in 12% of season:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I hope he gets his chance. I read an article about him yesterday, he's no budget to bring with him so he's probably f**ked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Thats was I was thinking he might get in at Force India instead of Luzzi. Force India have not paid their drivers this year, so that might suit Kobayashi . I'd say every other seat remaining requires a budget or a top class driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I hope he gets his chance. I read an article about him yesterday, he's no budget to bring with him so he's probably f**ked.

And not alone that, he has no budget (or offer) to take him into any other lower series either. It's F1 or nothing for him.

T'would be a shame if he fell by the way side. I wonder if any of the new teams pick him up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

kaizersoze wrote: »
    And not alone that, he has no budget (or offer) to take him into any other lower series either. It's F1 or nothing for him.

T'would be a shame if he fell by the way side. I wonder if any of the new teams pick him up?
    I'd say unless he finds some sponsorship, and fast, he'll be left twiddling his thumbs come Bahrain...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

surely he will be able to get sponsorship after the recent performances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

surely he will be able to get sponsorship after the recent performances?

One would think so, but it oftens comes down to who you know. Look at Nakajima FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Plenty of talented drivers miss out on F1 drives because they don't have the sponsors, connections, name or wealthy family to fall back on. If Tommy Byrne, for instance, had been the son (or even nephew) of a former champion, or heir to a massive fortune, rather than just "some knacker from Dundalk" (his own words), he would probably be sitting on a boat in the Mediterranean right now, having won several championships in the 80s and 90s.

Damon Hill had no money (his father's death and subsequent lawsuits having bankrupted the family), and a reasonable amount of talent, but his name opened enough doors to get into F1 and ultimately into the best car.

Without Toyota's support, Kobayashi has nothing. Hopefully someone will recognise his 'marketability', because his speed alone sadly won't be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

With just two races it would still be a big gamble to take him on. Renault might be up for it, they have a solid driver in Kubica and have been good at looking for the top fast young drivers

Other than that with asian companies moving out at F1 he might have a hard time moving to a smaller team looking for sponsership or money for the drive

He would be lucky to get the force india drive as they can probably attract more proven drivers after the good season they've had... trulli, glock, heidfield, fisi, kimi (if ferrari needed it)

RayM wrote: »
    Plenty of talented drivers miss out on F1 drives because they don't have the sponsors, connections, name or wealthy family to fall back on. If Tommy Byrne, for instance, had been the son (or even nephew) of a former champion, or heir to a massive fortune, rather than just "some knacker from Dundalk" (his own words), he would probably be sitting on a boat in the Mediterranean right now, having won several championships in the 80s and 90s.

Having just read Tommy's book makes it all the more pitifull if he doesn't get a drive. Then again, who's to say he's that good? He has won a couple of lower formulae championships but has been mediocre otherwise and Trulli isn't much of a benchmark.

If he does get a drive for a back of the grid team he could go the very same way Tommy did with Theodore.

• Advertisement

Having just read Tommy's book makes it all the more pitifull if he doesn't get a drive. Then again, who's to say he's that good? He has won a couple of lower formulae championships but has been mediocre otherwise and Trulli isn't much of a benchmark.

If he does get a drive for a back of the grid team he could go the very same way Tommy did with Theodore.

Fully agree, but it would be a good side story for next year. I personally would love to see him in F1 next year. He is a great racer. Not doubt about that. Not afraid at having ago, and knows how to keep the car on the road. I personally would love to see him in F1, and I think now, Force India is the best he can hope for.

Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Maybe one of the newcomers might pick him up, pair him with an experienced head (Heidfeld, Fisi, Trulli)....?

thegoth wrote: »
    Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried

Indeed. Another view would be remembering how Alonso impressed at Minardi. Look where that got him!

Indeed. Another view would be remembering how Alonso impressed at Minardi. Look where that got him!

Very True. After Brazil I thought that Kobayashi was a very good racer but lacked a bit of speed. I know it was his first race, so I wasnt condemning him.

After his second race I see he has good race craft and matched Trullis fastest race lap.

Information gathered on his F1 performances indicate he deserves to be on the F1 grid next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭shamrock321

He coundlt do any better the Force India! They were a stong team towards the end of the season, it didnt show through all the time because of crashes etc,but I bet Alonson, Kubicia, Fisicella would have preferred to be in a FI towars the end of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Without bringing any sponsorship money i think he might be lucky to be named a test driver for someone.

Advertisement