Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argosy External Multi Media HD Feedback

• 04-11-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Jesper

I'm looking at getting an ARGOSY
    320GB 2.5" Portable Video HDD HV-256T-320
    (130Euro)

It's got what I want - portable/big enough memory/can be run of USB/Power cable/Good Codec choice.

My only concern is that there not many of them around and I've no knowledge of Argosy and this one seems to be years old.

Is there a better product out there?

DETAILS
    "Power supply: AC adapter: Input 100~240V 50/60Hz Output DC 5V, 2A

Capacity: 320 GB

DAC: Video: 10bit / 54MHz Audio: 24bit / 192KHz

DVD folder: DVD Menu Audio/Subtitle/Angle Selection

DivX subtitle format: IDX / SUB, SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB (type II), SMI, PSB

Component video output: TV: NTSC / PAL
    Screen Ratio: 4:3 / 16:9
    Component: 480i / 480p / 576i / 576p / HD-720p

Dimensions: 5.2 x 3.2 x 0.75 (inch) / 132 x 81 x 19 (mm)

Playback: Media format: DVD-Video, SVCD, VCD 1.1/2.0, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX3.11, DivX4.x, DivX5.x /Xvid, JPEG, MP3, WAV
    Media file: dat, mpg, mpe, mpeg, vob, avi, divx, xvid, jpg, jpeg, mp3, m2p, wav
    DVD on HDD feature:
    Divx Subtitle format: DVD Menu Audio/Subtitle/Angle Selection
    TV standard: NTSC / PAL

Weight: 129.4 g / 4.56 oz (excluding HDD)

Drive type: 2.5" SATA hard drive

Connectors: USB 2.0 port x 1
    Composite video and stereo audio out jack x 1 (diameter: Ø3.5, composite cable included)
    Component video jack (Y/Pb/Pr) x 1 (diameter: Ø3.5, component video cable included)
    Power jack

Content resolution: Video: 720 x 576 pixels (max.)
    JPEG: 5120 x 3840 pixels (baseline)
    MP3: 320kbps
    IDX/SUB: 480i / 576i / 480p / 576p

Interface: USB 2.0

Operating System: Windows Vista / XP / 2000 / Me / 98SE

Menu language: English, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, French, Spanish, German, Italian

Media type: DVD-Video, SVCD, VCD 1.1/2.0, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX3.11, DivX4.x, DivX5.x /Xvid, JPEG, MP3, WAV

File system: NTFS / FAT32 "

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I think you might be better off going for something like the WD-TV. I got mine of Komplett and it played everything I've tried so far. Its an absolute breeze to setup and the remote works well. Bear in mind that this does not include a HD but inlcludes 2 USB ports for plugging in external drives. You have to buy your own HDMI cable as well but not many devices come with those bundled anyway. I had toyed with the idea of getting an Iomega Screenplay but there seemed to be a fair few glitches mentioned in online reviews. Plus the WD-TV has its own dedicated support forum

mordeith wrote: »
    I think you might be better off going for something like the WD-TV. I got mine of Komplett and it played everything I've tried so far. Its an absolute breeze to setup and the remote works well. Bear in mind that this does not include a HD but inlcludes 2 USB ports for plugging in external drives. You have to buy your own HDMI cable as well but not many devices come with those bundled anyway. I had toyed with the idea of getting an Iomega Screenplay but there seemed to be a fair few glitches mentioned in online reviews. Plus the WD-TV has its own dedicated support forum

Having the same problem as the OP. Don't know whether to get this or the WDTV. I know the WDTV is better but I don't bother with HD stuff and I don't like the whole needing external devices thing.

I'd like to know where the OP saw the Argosy 320Gb unit for sale. Although I have seen the same device rebranded as a Plextor which is worrying. Can't understand why no reputable company ever made a 2.5 media player enclosure....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I don't like the whole needing external devices thing.

I hear what you're saying but having an external drive is probably beter in the long run. If you have an all-in-one and the HD fails then you're banjaxed. With something like the WD you can easily connect a new HD (as long as you backed your files on a PC/Laptop) plus you can easily add extra storage space if needed. Also you don't have to be carrying the whole unit to your PC or whatever if you need to add new media. Also the new WD is network capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

also, take a look at the asus o!play
    supports all formats.

the device you are looking at only supports outdated formats

Advertisement