Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy

• 04-11-2009 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hey all!!!
    Just wanted a bit of advice about the MA in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy at either DBS or Independent College....does anyone here have any experience (good or bad) of them?!
    And...(I hate asking this)....any one know what job prospects would be like after this MA?
    Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated!!!
    Thanks
    xxx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yes, I did the Research MA in DSB in 2002, I was already involved in clinical work, I do a limited amount of teaching. The Clinical MA in DSB involves some classes in St Vincents Hosp, which is good and they provide work placements during your study. Of course personal analysis and supervision are required.

I have limited experience of the Independent College, I know the people behind and it appears to be a good course, I did some work with some first years there a few weeks ago and was suprised at the level of their knowledge, my understanding is there are no placements so you will be required to find your own clients. Analysis and supervision ongoing as well.

If you are think of either read some Freud but also some Lacan. Is that of any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 monters

thats great thanks a million. when they say there are 'limited' places on the MA at DBS...do you have any idea how many places there actually are?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

monters wrote: »
    thats great thanks a million. when they say there are 'limited' places on the MA at DBS...do you have any idea how many places there actually are?!

I haven't sorry, because you asking about it I am guessing you haven't studied at DBS, but ist'n there a requirement of some study of psychoanalysis? I asking this as the DBS one would be dufficult without previous study in the area.

Oh and work wise most of the people I know who done it are working in clinical areas and then do private work as well.

If you haven't studied Freud and Lacan before I would suggest you think long and hard before you sign up for it, but then maybe I'm wrong and you already have some knowledge of it. I don't be here that much but ask away if I can be of any help.

At the end of the day unless its changed significantly its good clinical course, and the one at the independent college looks good from what I have seen. Another option would be to consider the MSc in St Vincent's through the school of psychotherapy and UCD, that would be highly regarded within psychoanalysis in Europe.

Anyway best of luck with it.

Advertisement