Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Up to half price sale!

• 04-11-2009 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

t’s the up to Half Price Sale! For 3 days only we’ve reduced fares by up to half price on every seat, every flight, every day on all the routes listed below. Offer ends midnight Fri 6 Nov!
    Dublin to :

Alicante
    Amsterdam
    Barcelona
    Berlin
    Birmingham
    Brussels
    Budapest
    Dusseldorf
    Edinburgh
    Faro
    Frankfurt
    Geneva
    Glasgow
    Krakow
    Lisbon
    London
    Gatwick
    Lyon
    Madrid
    Malaga
    Manchester
    Milan
    Munich
    Nice
    Paris
    Prague
    Rome
    Venice
    Vienna
    Warsaw
    Zurich

Cork to:
    Amsterdam
    Barcelona
    Birmingham
    Berlin
    Faro
    Geneva
    London Heathrow
    Malaga
    Manchester
    Munich
    Paris
    Rome

Travel: 20 Nov - 24 Mar
    Book by: Midnight Fri 6 Nov

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Just had a quick look there...it just the fare that's up to half price, taxes and charges are still the same!
    Had a look at booking a flight to Heathrow...only a 3euro discount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

With alot of Aer Lingus "sales", the flights are more expensive than they were before the sale started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Aerlingus sales are always crap. Crap company, much better off flying with ryanair. At least you know what your getting and you dont have to sit in scabby old planes with old cranky trolly dollys.

Ryanair all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Yeah, checked out flights to Berlin earlier in the week which happened to be within the parameters of the sale. Same price today.

Am I wrong in assuming that Aer Lingus are liars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

jameshayes wrote: »
    Aerlingus sales are always crap. Crap company, much better off flying with ryanair. At least you know what your getting and you dont have to sit in scabby old planes with old cranky trolly dollys.

Ryanair all the way!

A320s are much much more comfortable than FR's B737-800s in my opinion. The EI fleet isn't that old in aircraft terms either. To add to this I've found EI staff, especially the Crew to be extremely helpful and professional. Granted I've only flow EI 8/9 times but every experience has been a good one. I fly FR a lot more thanks to their prices but tbh if EI prices were the same as FR prices I'd go with EI all the time.

And the reason the company is doing crap - its not a crap company per se - is becuase of its legacy as a State owned carrier. Its highly unionised which is very difficult to get rid of especially when you're competing with a non unionised competitor - FR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KevAir

The sale isn't great, I'm yet to find a flight that gives me half of the fare but that hardly matters because the taxes and charges hike it up again. You are usually best to actually book with Aer Lingus when they don't have one of the big sales because that's when their fares are at their lowest set level. Sometimes the sales can get you great savings but it's not always the case.

Ryanair all the way!

The average age of the Aer Lingus A320 fleet is about three years and the Airbus A320 cabin has been designed slightly wider and taller than the Boeing 737 so there is more head room and shoulder room for passengers. Aer Lingus seats are leather with adjustable head rests, recline and good legroom. The cabin crew in my opinion are some of the best, they are friendly, efficient and have a professional approach to their work.

I fly Aer Lingus from London quite frequently, off to Shannon at the end of the month and then at the beginning of next year I'm flying Gatwick-Malaga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Aer Lingus has never understood the whole "sale" concept. Do they actually think people still book just because they advertise a sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Ryanair all the way!

Hi Mr O'Leary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

The words "Aer Lingus" and "sale" in the same sentence is always a good laugh... They can shove their "sale" up their arses until they can get me to UK/Europe and back for 2 cent, the way Ryanair can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

With alot of Aer Lingus "sales", the flights are more expensive than they were before the sale started

Happened me in reverse early this year. Booked flights to the US during a sale. Checked the price a week after the "sale" ended and the total for the exact same flights was €70 less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It's no wonder they are having problems. I don't even bother visiting the Aer Lingus website when I hear a sale is on now cos their sales mean nothing.

They should sack their marketing department staff and save some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Looking at flights on a route the other night that were €0.00 before taxes and charges....just looked again there...and yes it turns out that half of nothing is still nothing.
    The only place I could see a ~50% reduction was on more popular departure times, where 14.99 was reduced 7.49...either way it still ends up having taxes/charges added so really the saving is about 15-18% off the actual price paid, at best...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

I was checking flights to Zurich a few days ago. Low and behold the price hasnt changed 1 cent since then. Awesome "sale"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Aer lingus need to up their game and fast or Ryanair are going to crush them completely.
    Last month I went on four flights to the UK for only €0.08 return and not a cent more, when Aer Lingus can do that or even something near that as I appreciate they goto major airports then maybe I will think of using them again. As for now, No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lollipop08

i agree:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

you dont have to sit in scabby old planes QUOTE]

As of June 2009, the average age of the Aer Lingus fleet is 6.1 years

The average ago of the Ryanair fleet is almost 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

a poor marketing ploy!

people wont fall for this 'sale' nonsense especially in the times that are in it!

Aer lingus need to up their game and fast or Ryanair are going to crush them completely.
    Last month I went on four flights to the UK for only €0.08 return and not a cent more, when Aer Lingus can do that or even something near that as I appreciate they goto major airports then maybe I will think of using them again. As for now, No chance.

You can guarantee someone was subsidising your €0.08 fare there. Do you honestly think its feasible for Ryanair to operate an international flight for that amount?

Tbh, less of the Aer Lingus bashing. Take it to Aviation or Consumer Issues if you have a problem with them. The OP advertised an Aer Lingus sale and I'm sure if you looked you'd find a decent bargain in there if one wanted. I apologise to the moderators if this seems like backseat modding but this **** does annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Watanabe

This post started out about a supposed sale AE was having and has morphed into a RyanAir vs. AerLingus. This should not be fight between Aer Lingus supporters and Ryan Air Supporters, personally I hate them both! They are both part of the New World Order Corporate World. Years ago companies went into business to make money, but to also serve customers, that is no longer the case, all they now care about is making as much money as possible, even if they toyally gouge the customer. The only time they ever have any decent sales, is to try and hurt their competitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Watanabe wrote: »
    This post started out about a supposed sale AE was having and has morphed into a RyanAir vs. AerLingus. This should not be fight between Aer Lingus supporters and Ryan Air Supporters, personally I hate them both! They are both part of the New World Order Corporate World. Years ago companies went into business to make money, but to also serve customers, that is no longer the case, all they now care about is making as much money as possible, even if they toyally gouge the customer. The only time they ever have any decent sales, is to try and hurt their competitor.

If a person was not interested in competitive competition they should go live in a communist state.

But I do agree, Sorry for turing this into a flaming thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yknaa

Worked for me! When you click confirm then you see the 'discount'. Got €20 off a flight that had cost c€100 the day before. Not 50% but a discount none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

It is funny how people complain about "hidden costs" with Ryanair. I just booked a tenner flight with Aer Lingus, there are "Taxes and Charges" of €33.71 plus a "Handling Fee" of €5 which, unlike Ryanair's fees, I can't avoid. The same flight for Ryanair has "Taxes and Charges" of €33.34 and no handling fee (plus the flight is €0.00).

I fly almost exclusively with Ryanair - just for the obvious reasons - and I forget how inconvenient it is to fly with Aer Lingus and the likes. Normally I turn up half an hour before the flight and just walk on but I still have to check in with Aer Lingus!

Anyway just in regards the OP's post - this is a 'sale' although I've been monitoring the flight on this particular day with ryanair and aer lingus and it has been constantly at this price for around 6 weeks so it's a bit fraudulent of them to pretend it is really a discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

cson wrote: »
    A320s are much much more comfortable than FR's B737-800s in my opinion. The EI fleet isn't that old in aircraft terms either. To add to this I've found EI staff, especially the Crew to be extremely helpful and professional. Granted I've only flow EI 8/9 times but every experience has been a good one. I fly FR a lot more thanks to their prices but tbh if EI prices were the same as FR prices I'd go with EI all the time.

And the reason the company is doing crap - its not a crap company per se - is becuase of its legacy as a State owned carrier. Its highly unionised which is very difficult to get rid of especially when you're competing with a non unionised competitor - FR.

Hi. How long have you worked for Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

poochiem wrote: »
    Normally I turn up half an hour before the flight and just walk on but I still have to check in with Aer Lingus!

Don't you check in online with Aer Lingus too then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭throwingmuses

I booked a flight for 2 people Dub to Boston, €381 each around the first week in September for the end of December. In the "sale" the same flight is now €586.........

testicle wrote: »
    Hi. How long have you worked for Aer Lingus?

I have zero affiliation to EI. It would seem that people are quick to knock them without realising the situation the company is in.

Anyway; there could be a bargain or two in that sale. Take it or leave. No one is asking for your opinion on Aer Lingus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jazuz, we're getting very cynical around here:(
    there could be a bargain or two in that sale. Take it or leave. No one is asking for your opinion on Aer Lingus.

nicely put, bargain alert forum here, not consumer issues or afterhours:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

slave1 wrote: »
    Jazuz, we're getting very cynical around here:(

nicely put, bargain alert forum here, not consumer issues or afterhours:)

Exactly, where is the bargain? Kudos to those who bash EI, it needs doing with bull like this

*slaps head against the wall*

• Advertisement
Advertisement