Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house tax

Options
  • 04-11-2009 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

hi

just bought my 1st house and have been told i have to pay 200euro house tax in jan. Can anyone tell me anything about this? Whats it for? How can i pay it, do i have to send a cheque or can i pay at post office etc?

Also a friend of mine told me shes never paid house tax since she has moved in to her house because shes a first time buyer, i am also a first time buyer but my socilitor told me ive to pay it

Can anyone explain this to me

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Errr- someone has the wrong end of the stick here.

The property tax is on second (and subsequent) properties. You do not pay it on your Principle Private Residence (the house/apartment you bought- if you live in it). If you are a first time buyer, and have bought a property- but are not living in it- then yes, you do have to pay- as you are classified as an investor.

If you're living in the property fulltime- you don't pay. If its a holiday home etc- you do.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Only if you own more then one houses. at the moment anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

ok! thats odd. i dont own any other property and either does my partner. I know the woman we bought from has two homes so maybe my socilitor was saying she had to pay it and i got confused.

Meeting my socilitor this evening because im pretty sure he said we had to pay the house tax because i remember him saying that it didnt have to be paid until Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

mobby wrote: »
    Only if you own more then one houses. at the moment anyway :)

No, even if you own only a single house, but live elsewhere, you would be liable for the tax.

Advertisement