Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving: Ireland > Portugal

• 04-11-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, y'all.:cool:

I'm planning of moving from Ireland to Portugal but need to know what's the best option out there to save money €€€ (time is no bother) to send my 'junk' abroad... shall I:
    1. [OPTION 1] buy a car + get an insurance + fill it up with my 'junk' + catch a Ferry from Dun Laoghaire/Eire to Holyhead/UK + drive to Portsmouth or Plymouth/UK + catch another Ferry to Santander/Spain + and drive the rest to Portugal (and then sell the car there getting some money back) or
    2. [OPTION 2] hire a one-way rent-a-car (do they exist in Ireland?:confused:) and follow the remainder of 'Option 1' or
    3. [OPTION 3] hire the services of an international moving company for them to pack my stuff and deliver it to an address in Portugal + catch a flight myself on top of that or
    4. [OPTION 4] catch a flight directly to Portugal and try to pack my 'junk' in several suitcases (is it possible?:D) paying the excess baggage fee to the airline or
    5. [OPTION 5] try to sell/give-away all my stuff here and simply catch a flight to Portugal or
    6. [OPTION 6, 7, 8...]
    My 'junk' consists in: medium TV set + DVD player + laptop + big external hard-drive + small book shelf + microwave + toaster + electric jar + kitchen pots/frying pans/dishes/glasses/mugs/cutelary + pillows/duvet/blankets + clothes/shoes + books + documents + cosmetics/hygiene products + brooms/mops/mop bucket + umbrellas + etc. (no furniture/no bikes/nothing bigger or heavier than the TV set).

So what do you think it's the cheapest way to move my 'junk' to Portugal?:)

Thanks in advance for your beloved tips!:)
    Vertigo:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SonicC

the only thing i would be bringing on that list is the laptop,your documents, clothes/shoes few books, cosmetics
    sell the rest of that junk here,the TV, bedcovers, pillows, broomsticks, kitchen ustencils for whatever u can, these items are so cheap in places like portugal, ull unlikely be losing any money off them. get your flight over a set up from there,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Hi, y'all.:cool:

I'm planning of moving from Ireland to Portugal but need to know what's the best option out there to save money €€€ (time is no bother) to send my 'junk' abroad... shall I:
    1. [OPTION 1] buy a car + get an insurance + fill it up with my 'junk' + catch a Ferry from Dun Laoghaire/Eire to Holyhead/UK + drive to Portsmouth or Plymouth/UK + catch another Ferry to Santander/Spain + and drive the rest to Portugal (and then sell the car there getting some money back) or
    2. [OPTION 2] hire a one-way rent-a-car (do they exist in Ireland?:confused:) and follow the remainder of 'Option 1' or
    3. [OPTION 3] hire the services of an international moving company for them to pack my stuff and deliver it to an address in Portugal + catch a flight myself on top of that or
    4. [OPTION 4] catch a flight directly to Portugal and try to pack my 'junk' in several suitcases (is it possible?:D) paying the excess baggage fee to the airline or
    5. [OPTION 5] try to sell/give-away all my stuff here and simply catch a flight to Portugal or
    6. [OPTION 6, 7, 8...]
    My 'junk' consists in: medium TV set + DVD player + laptop + big external hard-drive + small book shelf + microwave + toaster + electric jar + kitchen pots/frying pans/dishes/glasses/mugs/cutelary + pillows/duvet/blankets + clothes/shoes + books + documents + cosmetics/hygiene products + brooms/mops/mop bucket + umbrellas + etc. (no furniture/no bikes/nothing bigger or heavier than the TV set).

So what do you think it's the cheapest way to move my 'junk' to Portugal?:)

Thanks in advance for your beloved tips!:)

Option 2 is out, you can't hire a car from "The British Isles" and bring it to the continent, something to do with insurance.

When I moved to France, I gave away/sold anything that would be too bulky to bring, or that would be cheap enough to buy over there (eg furniture, kitchen stuff (they take up loads of space in boxes and are really cheap!). Also I sold most of my books (bulky and heavy).

Everything else that I needed (all my clothes, books I needed, cds, other stuff) I got shipped over with Hawthorne Logistics. I worked out that for 2 cubic metres (which is kind of the standard minimum for shipping) it was cheaper than getting the ferry over. They deliver door to door and their customer service was very, and the stuff was delivered quickly.

So bascially I'd recommend shipping the stuff over if you have a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vertigobike

thanks, guys for your lovely tips - I guess it really makes more sense €€ to sell/give-away the "excess", ship the remainder and simply "send myself" on a plane!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,897 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Its probably dearer to buy this stuff over there tho if not the same.
    My sister and fiancee lived over there for a few months but had
    to move back to london as they could barely survive over there
    on the wages they would be earning.
    The cost of living is very high over there which they didnt
    realise and as a result they put their apartment up for sale.

Advertisement