Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are a skanger if...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Victor_M wrote: »
    #1 - The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.
    #2 - The second rule of Fight Club is, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.
    #3 - If someone says stop, goes limp, taps out, the fight is over.
    #4 - Two guys to a fight.
    #5 - One fight at a time.
    #6 - No shirts, no shoes.
    #7 - Fights will go on as long as they have to.
    #8 - If this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Jesus! see rule #1 & 2

Ultra's aren't members of any Fight Club, they're just Fans who like to fight.

Besides, you just broke the rules of Fight Club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

^ In light of new information, it would seem 'Ultra's' (who ever the hell they are) are skangers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

*you have pictures of your kids all over your Bebo page (not facebook, obv)
    * you have pictures of your kids all over your Bebo page and you're 14
    * you have a photo album for the IRA and one for Man Utd football club
    * your favourite movies are Step Up 2 and the Fast and the Furious series
    * you have a nice body until you hit 16 and then get really fat from continuous ditch drinking
    * you have shouted the words "he didn't do nothin!" at one point in your life
    * every year without fail you will buy the new Need for Speed and FIFA games
    * bloke - you have a tattoo of your name/kids name/name of dead mate (you have a lot of dead mate photo albums on bebo) on your arm or shoulder, usually in Old English or Chinese and spelt wrong. Girl - you have a tattoo or angel or playboy logo on your lower back, always the lower back
    * washing yourself involves applying a fresh coat of fake tan
    * bloke - you call people f*ggots whilst wearing your favourite pink t-shirt, silver earring and straightened hair
    * scooter are better than the Beatles
    * the only song you know the words to are Fields of Athenry, and IRA must always be shouted midway through
    * Y0U L1K3 2 TYP L1K Di$!!

Great post but surely a Celtic jersey is more skangerish than a United jersey!

I did see one guy with a Celtic jersey and United tracksuit bottoms and just sighed...It's United and nothing else, or Celtic and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

you use cling film instead of condoms

tayto bags if there's no clingfilm handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

You think any guy with long hair and/or an interest in rock music is a "bleeedin hippy"

Get a haircut ye hippy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

derfderf wrote: »
    I know an accountant that takes part in fights arranged before bohs and rovers games. Does his profession stop him bein a skanger?
    Of course not, but you can take it as red that the majority of people on this thread aren't referring to those whom they perceive as middle-class. I'm middle-class myself - not playing the reverse snobbery card, just flabbergasted as ever by the attitudes and stereotypes on After Hours and what's considered "skanger".
    Rampant promiscuity and drug use are always ones that are trotted out - to imply these aren't the preserve of the middle and upper classes just makes me giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I was cycling up Bolton Street in Dublin the other day and I saw a skanger with something behind his ear that I presumed was a cigarette. As I got a bit closer I saw that it was a syringe, not a cigarette. That was pretty skangery :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

derfderf wrote: »
    I know an accountant that takes part in fights arranged before bohs and rovers games. Does his profession stop him bein a skanger?

No, but it stops him from being perceived as a skanger.

Whereas you can be judged as one for relatively harmless things like clothing and accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Dudess wrote: »
    Of course not, but you can take it as red that the majority of people on this thread aren't referring to those whom they perceive as middle-class. I'm middle-class myself - not playing the reverse snobbery card, just flabbergasted as ever by the attitudes and stereotypes on After Hours and what's considered "skanger".
    Rampant promiscuity and drug use are always ones that are trotted out - to imply these aren't the preserve of the middle and upper classes just makes me giggle.

Shoulda seen what Dudess used to get up to!!!!! Jaysus she'd put Jenna Jameson to shame :P

I agree with your post Dudess, some of the most promiscuious girls I know come from those lovely area's with no crime like Montonotee etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

some of the most promiscuious girls I know come from those lovely area's with no crime like Montonotee etc.

My mam says "all fur coat and no knickers" about these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My idea of skanger has ZERO to do with where you are from, how much education you received, your job title or any of that. It's simply in how you carry yourself, behave yourself and all that. The tramp on the street could be far classier than the doctor in the surgery. You cannot buy class.

upper and middle class can also wear ben sherman just like the rest of us...eh...them too. Is that doc ur GP by the way? Say he'd be good for depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

walshb wrote: »
    My idea of skanger has ZERO to do with where you are from, how much education you received, your job title or any of that. It's simply in how you carry yourself, behave yourself and all that. The tramp on the street could be far classier than the doctor in the surgery. You cannot buy class.

Well said Walshb.
    Being a scumbag/skanger is one of those things that can transcend location/gender/education/job etc....I know lots of scumbags and they don't all have the same profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

No. Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

??

whodoo wrote: »
    Well said Walshb.
    Being a scumbag/skanger is one of those things that can transcend location/gender/education/job etc....I know lots of scumbags and they don't all have the same profile.

that's what i meant above. Even if bein a doctor automatically meant ur not a skanger, if u saw the doc snorting beside his daughter you'd think skanger. It's not like they'd be wearing their white coat everywhere or snorting in their surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Anyone who drops their litter on the street even though there is usually a bin within 20 feet!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Quite a few teenage trends here done by both public school dropouts and private school "poshos" a like.

Go outside Wezz on a saturday night and watch various lads from private schools kicking the ****e out of each other for no reason other than them being from a different school. Haven't seen any of these type of things associated with ther Skanger stereotype on AH so far.

Some people seriously need to redefine what a Skanger is rather than what most teenage kids are doing who aren't from Upper class areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

For future reference, Ultras don't fight. Hooligans fight. Ultras make the atmosphere in games by chanting, singing, waving flags, flares etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

You are a skanger if ... you use Jordan as inspiration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

You are a skanger if ... you use Jordan as inspiration.

Going a bit off-topic here, but this post reminded me of something unbelievably stupid.
    One of my friends on Bebo had a photo album dedicated to here idol Colleen McLoughlin(sp?)-Rooney. So basically her dream is to do nothing in her life but to marry a rich, ugly soccer player and sponge off him.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

The below constitutes a "skanger"...?

The highlighted ones I would also associate with those D4 ones whose accents make me want to tear my ears off and never set foot anywhere near where the 46A stops - ever, ever again.
    What do non skangers refer to their vaginas as? I choose the particularly classy "my gee". And anyone could randomly vandalise. It takes a fair bit more to constitute a "skanger". :)

Hmm I've yet to come across a D4 girl with the fluffy dice thing going on in their car. These people would tend to have bigger living rooms too, so the chance of having a tv that's too big for their living room is reduced.

Also have to say the playing of music on phones seems to be mainly a skanger phenomenon in my experience.
    Hmm the juicy thing too is something I've yet to come across on a D4 girl.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

You drive a white Honda and your name ends in 'O'.. like 'Grahamo'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Hooligans aren't members of any Fight Club, they're just knobs who like to fight.

Besides, you just broke the rules of Fight Club
    FYP

One of my friends on Bebo had a photo album dedicated to here idol Colleen McLoughlin(sp?)-Rooney. So basically her dream is to do nothing in her life but to marry a rich, ugly soccer player and sponge off him.:confused:

I hate that WAG stuff! But in fairness to Colleen, she's actually done things with her life, to defy that stereotype.
    Brought out her own perfume, had a column in a magazine, modeled for a clothing company ... Granted, none of it might have happened, had it not been for her famous footballer husband, but at least she didn't just sit at home, wasting his money.
    Onkle wrote: »
    You drive a white Honda

Aww man! I love white Honda Integras! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I hate that WAG stuff! But in fairness to Colleen, she's actually done things with her life, to defy that stereotype.
    Brought out her own perfume, had a column in a magazine, modeled for a clothing company ... Granted, none of it might have happened, had it not been for her famous footballer husband, but at least she didn't just sit at home, wasting his money.

Aww man! I love white Honda Integras! :D
    Erm. Isn't that proving the stereotype?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

*Store chewing gum behind the ear before sparking a Benson.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Erm. Isn't that proving the stereotype?

Kind of. The stereotype is largely just ... sponging off the rich husband, spending all your time shopping and having lunch / spa trips with your friends, not bothering to have your own method of income, being a trophy wife etc...

A lot of the wags do seem to do the whole perfume/modeling/magazine column thing ... but it's better than nothing.
    At least they're not COMPLETELY relying on the rich husband!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Kind of. The stereotype is largely just ... sponging off the rich husband, spending all your time shopping and having lunch / spa trips with your friends, not bothering to have your own method of income, being a trophy wife etc...

A lot of the wags do seem to do the whole perfume/modeling/magazine column thing ... but it's better than nothing.
    At least they're not COMPLETELY relying on the rich husband!

Where does the funding come from for these business ventures? Fair play to them though, taking advantage of the horrible celebrity culture obsession. If there are tools out there willing to buy something because it's adorned by some random celebrity, then more power to them.

• Advertisement

hopalong85 wrote: »
    Where does the funding come from for these business ventures? Fair play to them though, taking advantage of the horrible celebrity culture obsession. If there are tools out there willing to buy something because it's adorned by some random celebrity, then more power to them.

I presume the company endorsing the product pays for the business ventures.

This whole celebrity culture thing is a farce, really, isn't it?
    It's complete manipulation of young, naive people. High School Musical is a prime example. They even have HSM water these days. I know because my nine year old cousin had a bottle.
    It's double the price of normal water, simply because it's "High School Musical".

Similarly, fans of a certain celebrity would buy anything associated with that person.
    I'd be interested to know how sales of L'oreal products are doing, since Cheryl Cole's become a representative.

Advertisement