Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile phone / network advice

• 04-11-2009 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have about 200 to spend on a new mobile phone. I am currently with 02 PAYG and I think I want to stick with pre paid. I am thinking of moving to 3 because i can get a skype enabled phone ( SE w705 €219 ) which would be useful as i use skype a fair bit. Now they have just reduced the same phone at 02 ( €179 ) but obviously if i use skype i would need to pay for the connection everytime. However this phone has wifi so my question is if i connect to wifi with this phone on the 02 network do you think i will still need to pay for the connection?

My other question is for this money is this phone worth it?
    And another question while I'm at it - is 3 an ok network? I've been with 02 for donkeys and i'm kinda used to it and the website etc.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

missyali wrote: »
    I have about 200 to spend on a new mobile phone. I am currently with 02 PAYG and I think I want to stick with pre paid. I am thinking of moving to 3 because i can get a skype enabled phone ( SE w705 €219 ) which would be useful as i use skype a fair bit. Now they have just reduced the same phone at 02 ( €179 ) but obviously if i use skype i would need to pay for the connection everytime. However this phone has wifi so my question is if i connect to wifi with this phone on the 02 network do you think i will still need to pay for the connection?

My other question is for this money is this phone worth it?
    And another question while I'm at it - is 3 an ok network? I've been with 02 for donkeys and i'm kinda used to it and the website etc.

Thanks for reading.

No if you use skype over the wifi then you don't pay for connection,

I don't know if 3 offers free skype on PAYG phones but they do have inbuilt skype client which i am not sure about o2 phones,( but can be easily installed)

about 3 network i have heard lots of complaint about their customer service and the same time some are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 missyali

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm a bit concerned about 3s customer service and the lack of online top-up however their call rates seem to be the cheapest and they have good coverage so this is good.

They say that they offer Skype to PAYG customers and this particular handset comes with a 4gb memory card whereas the 02 one does not. I'll have to see how easy / difficult it is to install Skype onto the phone. 02 have also increased their upgrade credit from €5 to €30 since the beginning of the week - 3 offers €80 on the condition that you top up €10 every month.

Hard to decide, but I shouldn't complain its nice to see competition!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

With 3 you will need to top up by 10 every month to keep it active (the 10 stays on your account for normal calls and texts and you'll get your free 10). You'll get 4000 Skype to Skype mins per month but you'll need Skype credit for Skype out calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 melchan

Hi. Ive just got W705 from 3 (contract) only a few days ago.

Skype is pre-installed and well integrated with this handset. It has a multi-tasking key and it makes it easy to use it while running another applications at the same time. Even you can leave it on all the time.

Wi-fi works well. I havent tried outside my home though (I came across a review which says it wouldnt if you are not close enough to a router).

Plus, it doesnt have gps but google map is pre installed and is good enough.

Cons, in my opinion, are 1. cheap built and plasticky!! I like the design though. 2.It doesnt affect much on receiving/making phonecall though signal is very unstable and weak (I live in Dublin city and the other phone was always full strength but now it only shows 2 maximum) I really dont use walkman/camera so not sure about these.

About network, I was surprised 3 doesnt offer webtext at all. Customer service(call centre) is average...

However, all in all, Im quite satisfied with this network/handset conbination so far. Nokia 6700 wasnt great skypewise so I was amazed. If you want to skype I do recommend it. All calls and chat from skype comes to your phone in the same way as nomal calls/txt and sound quality is pretty good. Only concern for this model at this moment is good few review says this W705 is prone to get something wrong with that slide and programs after few month. Its a great phone when it works, one said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 missyali

Thank you Melchan. This is exactly the info I need to hear. I hear also that the camera is not great but the walkman is awesome.
    On the 3 website it mentions somewhere that you get 333 webtexts a month you may need to register for it.

Well thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement