Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting ipod touch 8Gb with eircom hotspot

Options
  • 04-11-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I've just bought an ipod touch 8GB model last week.
    At home I've got a Thomson Speedtouch wireless router and I had no problem setting up wifi on the ipod touch to connect to the speedtouch router. It discovered the network and all I had to do was provide the wpa password and away we go.

However I have problem connecting with an eircom hot spot(s). There is a eircom wifi hotspot in Heuston Station Dublin. I'm an eircom 7MB broadband customer and they've given me a user name and password to allow me use all their hotspots.

Each morning and evening for the last few days I've tried to connect to this hotspot. The itouch detects the eircom hotspot receives an IP address sets a subnet mask but nothing else. At this stage I'm expecting to be able to open safari amd it will default to an eircom web page where I input the eircom provided username and password however this page never loads and thus I can't complete a full connection.

I think the problem may be that the touch isn't getting a full set of IP settings e.g DNS etc via DHCP when its negotiating with the eircom wireless router in heuston.

Anybody any ideas how I might overcome this problem.

Thks,
    Zugvogel

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried connecting to any other hot spots?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Hi Dub45,
    Now I haven't tried any other Eircom hotspots yet. Actually I downloaded a pdf with a list of eircom hotspots from the eircom website today - http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/WIFIPDF120508.pdf - According to eircom a pub and a cafe very close to my work are supposed to have eircom hotspots. Went to the pub for lunch and definitely no hotspot there even checked with owner. Then tried cafe as was strolling by but no luck there either.

I'll try other locations over the next couple of days.

Zug

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

When you try to connect, Go to Settings, Wireless and post up the info in the boxes. Eircom could be blocking mobile devices. I've had trouble with Eircom before.

Will do ironclaw.

Last night I installed two apps - Ping Lite & WiFiFoFum just to try a couple of pings and trace routes.

When I connect to the eircom hotspot I receive an IP address and I can ping my own assigned IP but when I try to ping say rte.ie it says it cannot resolve the name to an IP address.

When I do connect to the hotspot the only fields that get filled for the connection are IP and subnet mask - the others are blank including DNS. I notice that I can edit the DNS field manually so I might try and put in one of the opendns IPs to see what happens.

Aside: This is my first apple device and I understand the OS on the iTouch and iPhone are unix like. Is there anyway to ssh in to have a poke around the file system etc??

Cheers,
    Zug

Just wondering if anybody knows if I would have to jail break my new itouch (would prefer not to) if I want to install this free eircom wifi app?

http://iphone.wareseeker.com/eircom-wifi.app/42dc180e7a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

zugvogel wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody knows if I would have to jail break my new itouch (would prefer not to) if I want to install this free eircom wifi app?

http://iphone.wareseeker.com/eircom-wifi.app/42dc180e7a

I have a feeling that's in the App Store, so no need to JailBreak. If you go into the settings page when connected, can you renew the lease to the AP? This might force a DNS refresh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Before you start taking drastic measures you should check how it performs with other hotspots.

If you can connect at home then there can hardly be much (if anything) wrong with the ipod touch.

Do you notice others using the hotspot in Heuston?

Ironclaw I tried it again this evening

Wifi Settings

SSID = eircom

connection details

DHCP selected

IP: 169.254.162.198
    Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
    Router : blank
    DNS: blank
    Search Domains: blank
    Client ID: blank

HTTP proxy off

I tried the app store and alas eircom-wifi isn't listed. The only eircom related app is called "Broadband Stats" - tells you how much of you're monthly download allowance you've used.

I rang Eircom wifi support and the guy said that there can be problems connecting Apple wifi devices. He suggested I look at the free eircom wifi app but when I told that I didn't really want to jail break my device he said fair enough. He suggested I point safari at 10.0.0.6 - tried this same result. I also tried inserting eircom dns ip 213.94.190.194 manually but that didn't make any difference either. The support guy told me to get back to him if I didn't have any luck.

dub45 I know it connects to other hotspots because I was in a hotel in London last week and also Heathrow and it found plenty of pay as you go wifi services where you buy time by inserting your credit card or other credentials like user name and password.

But just to be sure I'll try a few other eircom hotspots asap.

Zug

Ok hopped into car and drove up to nearest mcdonalds. Found eircom hotspot connected up and sure enough up came the login page. Inserted username and passwd and everything is working perfectly now so that's me sorted :)

I did a reset of the networking before connecting and that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the help lads.

Rgds
    zugvogel

Advertisement