Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer gaming courses ?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

hey im new to boards :)

and im in LCC 4th year .

I was looking with teachers the other day but i cant find and courses on computer gaming , well anything close anyway.

so would any one have taken this course or a course on game development ? modding ? or grapics ?

thanks
    mick :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

mickmurphy wrote: »
    hey im new to boards :)

and im in LCC 4th year .

I was looking with teachers the other day but i cant find and courses on computer gaming , well anything close anyway.

so would any one have taken this course or a course on game development ? modding ? or grapics ?

thanks
    mick :)

Computer Science in DIT has a Games stream in 3rd and 4th year.

In third year you do Game Logic and Design and Games Programming.

In Fourth year the games stream entails Programming game worlds, Middleware, AI, Games Behavior and you have the option of doing Graphics and Image Processing.

Students through out the years are encouraged to participate in extra circular games design activities and competitions such as robocode, the xna ireland challenge and the imagine cup.

If you have any questions about any of the modules above just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mickmurphy

thanks a million im going to lookinto that :)

i was just wondering is there any small corses i can do after school in 5th and 6th year to help me along the way ?
    and what are the points for computer science ?
    and has any one done the eernest adams or scratch workshop? are they good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

mickmurphy wrote: »
    thanks a million im going to lookinto that :)

i was just wondering is there any small corses i can do after school in 5th and 6th year to help me along the way ?
    and what are the points for computer science ?
    and has any one done the eernest adams or scratch workshop? are they good ?

The points are usually fairly low because it's in DIT, even though DIT has one of the better computer science courses in Ireland. I think people see institute of technology and think it's not a real university.

The eernest adams work shop is great, and if you ever get a chance to go to it you definitely should. The guy worked in the games industry right around the time it took off and quite a few major game producers have him in to do his workshop for their game devs from what I've been told, e.g crytek. From what I understand he goes over the principals of computer game design and introduces you to his methodology for developing computer games or something. I've never had the opportunity to go.

thanks , :)

well im in 4th year now as i said and right now were getting SCRATCH in for a double period workshop , they go threw gaming networking ect.

would any one know a price for the eernest adams workshop would any one know a basic price ? my computers teacher is dead sound and said if i can get over 8 people ( minimum 8 ) she will get him in :)

and he does from 12 hours to 5 days of work shop so im guessing a few hundred euro :)

but thanks for all the info , what course's are u doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

You can attend the workshop for free in DIT. For more info see:
    http://www.comp.dit.ie/website07/news.php?id=117

• Advertisement

WOW !
    and its free ? is any one else going ? me and a friend will be going if its free or small cost :P

Wich DIT would it be in :S and how would i get there ? and is there an age limit to it ?

Edit
    Just found out its all full for 2009 :(:( reading it i found is SUPEr for what i want like im in love with it :P

has any one read eernest's books yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

To be quite honest, it would be better for you if you
    took a Computer Science degree as an undergrad.

A Masters would be your best bet for gaming. Computer
    Science/Computing are broader than gaming courses.

ye ,

i was looking at the plan of sitting 4 years for my BA in DIT for computer science and see if there is any more specific course's or degrees for gaming , so i can have computer sciene as a back up with the experince and education of gaming ,

like i play alot of xbox computer games and alot of web based and i was looking at network and software course ...

but keep the advice coming i still have 3 years to decide and by then i think ill know exactly what course to do :P

Advertisement