Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park Stadium

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Missed oppurtunity tbh

Shop.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

That's his own company though isn't it? , was thinking he'd do that if he doesn't get interest next year anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Well that Sports Direct logo has been in the stadium since Ashley first took the reigns.

3801190645_9d67d06a88.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

How doe this work then, I know commentators and news readers call for example the Reebok Statium its name, as it has never had another name.

But in the case of sportsdirect.com@StJamesPark are they conractually obliged (if they have paid for rights for covering Championship/Premiership) to actually refer to it by its commercial name?? Or will we have old school commentators etc still using the old name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I will still call it St James.

As said its different for new stadiums with no other recognised identity but this is very much a part of football and peoples lives

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I don't get the point of this exercise. Ashely's company name is already up there, so the only reason I can see for him to officially tag it to the stadium name is to piss the fans off some more.

That we're stuck with him is now really sinking in... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

kinaldo wrote: »
    I don't get the point of this exercise. Ashely's company name is already up there, so the only reason I can see for him to officially tag it to the stadium name is to piss the fans off some more.

That we're stuck with him is now really sinking in... :(

i dont think its that its up there for all to see already, its purely an advertising exercise for him now. the fact that its such a rubbish name means itll get a lot of coverage for sportsdirect who were doing pretty poorly last i read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

gucci wrote: »
    How doe this work then, I know commentators and news readers call for example the Reebok Statium its name, as it has never had another name.

But in the case of sportsdirect.com@StJamesPark are they conractually obliged (if they have paid for rights for covering Championship/Premiership) to actually refer to it by its commercial name?? Or will we have old school commentators etc still using the old name?

dount they have to call it by its full name, they never mentioned the BT Cellnet Riverside when that was going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

So whats their email address gonna be like?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Newcastle and Leeds are 2 of the biggest sleeping giants in English football. If i were and arab oil billionaire these clubs are the ones that I would be interested in taking control of as they both have sufficently large stadia to begin with and a large enough support base to build on. I honestly cant believe nobody bought Newcastle when Ashley was looking to get out and Leeds debts have hindered them in a major way their tradition still leaves them ripe for growth should a wealthy benefactor took control

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

slingerz wrote: »
    Newcastle and Leeds are 2 of the biggest sleeping giants in English football. If i were and arab oil billionaire these clubs are the ones that I would be interested in taking control of as they both have sufficently large stadia to begin with and a large enough support base to build on. I honestly cant believe nobody bought Newcastle when Ashley was looking to get out and Leeds debts have hindered them in a major way their tradition still leaves them ripe for growth should a wealthy benefactor took control

From what I understand, Newcastle have a very high level of debt, which is what is putting people off and as for Leeds, I would just say that it is more a coma than a sleep.

Renamed Stadia is the way forward, everyone will still call it St James, but if it earns the club a few quid good luck to them. The Fratton end changes its name every time Pompey get a new sponsor, but the only place you see it mentioned is on your ticket or in the programme, everywhere else it is the Fratton End.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

From what I understand, Newcastle have a very high level of debt, which is what is putting people off and as for Leeds, I would just say that it is more a coma than a sleep.

Renamed Stadia is the way forward, everyone will still call it St James, but if it earns the club a few quid good luck to them. The Fratton end changes its name every time Pompey get a new sponsor, but the only place you see it mentioned is on your ticket or in the programme, everywhere else it is the Fratton End.

Will it earn them a few quid? Is Ashley going to pay the club to advertise his own company like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

JPA wrote: »
    Will it earn them a few quid? Is Ashley going to pay the club to advertise his own company like this?

probably. I guess it would allow him to transfer money from one company to another.

I would guess it is really just a statement of intent more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

What a horrible despicable fcuking prick of a man. Every stunt he has pulled to date has become harder to swollow, but now the cnut is begining to mess with our heritage, our identity. Enoughs a fcuking enough!

Fcuk off you horrible wanker of a man, and take your band of crooks with you. YOU'RE NOT WANTED, NOR WELCOME IN OUR CLUB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hate how advertising creeps into tradition in this type of way. Feel sorry for Newcastle fans having to put up with this guy.

Has the flab finally covered Ashley's eyes and ears or does he not want to listen to the fans?

Week in, week out our fans are screaming for you to get the fcuk out of our club. Did you listen? No.

You can't fcuk Keegan over and attempt to rename our stadium and thiink you can get away with it.

It doesn't work like this.

The only reason it seems you're still around is because we're doing well in the Championship and you just want to jump ship and get a better price for our club if we get promoted.

Enough is enough. Why couldn't you leave well enough alone?

Vile vile human being.

As for the 20 million pounds you're promising for our club I don't believe a word.

From nufc.com
    "The money that Mike put in last week (£20M) was to cover costs like wages and so on because we wanted to keep the core of a squad together which would have the best possible chance of being able to get us promoted this season.
    It has not been put aside for transfers.

The "core" of our squad? What core? You've pretty much sold the players we need the most be it this year or last year.

Given, Milner, Duff, Martins, Beye, Bassong.

Now we're left with the bare minimum and an incapable owner. I hope that Chris will fight for the players we desperately need in January or we're fcuked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well done Mr Ashley, you have succeeded in you task to wind up the fans, here is an example
    Charlie wrote: »
    What a horrible despicable fcuking prick of a man. Every stunt he has pulled to date has become harder to swollow, but now the cnut is begining to mess with our heritage, our identity. Enoughs a fcuking enough!

Fcuk off you horrible wanker of a man, and take your band of crooks with you. YOU'RE NOT WANTED, NOR WELCOME IN OUR CLUB!
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Has the flab finally covered Ashley's eyes and ears or does he not want to listen to the fans?

Week in, week out our fans are screaming for you to get the fcuk out of our club. Did you listen? No.

You can't fcuk Keegan over and attempt to rename our stadium and thiink you can get away with it.

It doesn't work like this.

The only reason it seems you're still around is because we're doing well in the Championship and you just want to jump ship and get a better price for our club if we get promoted.

Enough is enough. Why couldn't you leave well enough alone?

Vile vile human being.

As for the 20 million pounds you're promising for our club I don't believe a word.

Well done Mr Ashley, you have succeeded in you task to wind up the fans, here is an example

Wind up is right. After months of a promising takeover move he takes it away with one giant swoop and once again we're the ones enduring this horror show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Agree with you 100%. What I don't get though is I call our chairman Ken Bates a cancer/scumbag and I get banned for a month :confused:

Mods, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

awful name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Looks like Chelsea are going to do something similar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/chelsea/6510291/Chelsea-to-sell-Stamford-Bridge-naming-rights-to-compete-with-elite-clubs.html
    Chelsea are to sell the naming rights to Stamford Bridge, their home since the club were established in 1905, in an attempt to compete financially with the likes of Manchester United.

The controversial move was announced by new chief executive Ron Gourlay, who said Chelsea had to make sure their rivals did not gain a "competitive advantage" through added revenues because their stadiums were bigger.

Given the vast wealth of owner Roman Abramovich the announcement is another clear sign that the Russian billionaire is determined that Chelsea become self-sufficient.

Chelsea will look for "blue-chip" companies who may wish to take up the rights to rename Stamford Bridge for the next 10 years. However the proposal will come with the proviso that the existing stadium name remains.

For example, Chelsea's current shirt sponsors are the South Korean electronics firm Samsung. So if they decided to extend their deal the stadium could be renamed "Samsung Stamford Bridge".

Arsenal secured around £100 million when they moved from Highbury by selling the rights to their new stadium to the Emirates airline. That deal lasts until 2021.

"Retaining the heritage of the stadium is paramount to considering such a move but we think that it is achievable and on that basis we would enter the discussions over naming rights with the right partner for Chelsea," Gourlay said.

"We understand that this is a sensitive issue for our fans and that is why we would keep the name Stamford Bridge in any deal.

"What we are not prepared to happen, and I am sure our fans will appreciate this, is allow our rival clubs in England and Europe to gain a competitive advantage over us in terms of the revenue they can generate, through either expanding capacity of their existing stadia or moving to a new stadium and then invest that in their team or club.

"Those possibilities are not open to Chelsea for the foreseeable future because of the restrictions in expanding our stadium and the issues around finding a new site, so that means we have to be creative and look at our sponsorship architecture and see if we can create new value and new opportunities that keeps us competitive."

Chelsea are not expecting to be able to increase the 41,800 capacity of Stamford Bridge within the next five years – they are hemmed in by planning and building restrictions – and if the naming rights are sold for the next 10 years then it would appear to preclude the opportunity, if one arose, to move to a new stadium.

No doubt it will help pay for a few plastic flags as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rolls right off the tongue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

gucci wrote: »
    Looks like Chelsea are going to do something similar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/chelsea/6510291/Chelsea-to-sell-Stamford-Bridge-naming-rights-to-compete-with-elite-clubs.html

No doubt it will help pay for a few plastic flags as well :)

Also we legally have to give up the name "Chelsea Football Club" if we move ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Such a bag name but im sure Ashley is well paid for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

totally .. i live for the day that piece of junk is taken down and i know Ashley is gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Soby wrote: »
    Also we legally have to give up the name "Chelsea Football Club" if we move ground
    Really? So many ways around this and claims to not having too though.

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Such a bag name but im sure Ashley is well paid for it!!!

Well it's his company so there's no outside money coming in really. Wish our game was on live today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement