Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Laptop Password problem

• 04-11-2009 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

Got a new Acer5738G yesterday. Booted it up and it looked for the usual name and password info. Entered a password (one I already have on my PC) and had a look around. Logged on another 2 or 3 times and then again this morning when I set up the wireless connection. However since then I cant log on. The initial log on screen (Win7 - one that gives you the hint under the password field) comes on, I enter the password (basic as hell password) and in says its invalid. Have tried all num lock and caps lock combinations just in case.

Have registered the problem with Acer so hopefully they can explain something.

Just wondering if anyone else had a proble like this or has any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

try log in as administrator in safe mode.

i dont have win7 but i assume you can change the pw for the user from one of policy editors?

secpol or gpedit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

try press function key and numlock

then try login

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

kaimera wrote: »
    try log in as administrator in safe mode.

i dont have win7 but i assume you can change the pw for the user from one of policy editors?

secpol or gpedit?

Cant log in as anything. There are no options for user type, just a password field and nothing else

Can I do anything in the BIOS menu??

control alt delete twice should bring up classic login screen where you type in a user name ie. administrator

• Advertisement

try press function key and numlock

then try login
    did this work?

Can I do anything in the BIOS menu to help with this?

I'm not that computer literate so anything not in plain english just goes over my head:o

did this work?

No. Thanks anyway

control alt delete twice should bring up classic login screen where you type in a user name ie. administrator

Does nothing

Just typed in password for the hundredth time or so and the screen changed to the welcome screen, but then went back to the password screen and said invalid again.

Confused as hell!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Make sure you're not accidentally hitting/touching the touchpad when you're typing in the password.

Had a word with an IT guy in work who suggested shortening the password each time I tried to log on. When I asked why he said its something he had heard of he thinks??

Anyway I did this. When I had taken 3 digits off the password, it logged on. Strange??

Acer guy contacted me and I told him about this. It was news to him but said if it happens again they will take the laptop away.

Hopefully it will work from now on:)

Advertisement