Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Waters may tour the wall in 2010 and 2011.

Options
  • 04-11-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭

On several pink floyd fan sites they are stating that Roger's manager has said that Roger is considering taking the wall on tour to 8 cities which will probably lead to more. Having seen him at the point a couple of years ago touring dark side of the moon this is a concert I would not miss. Of course I would love to see Gilmour and Mason involved but doubt this very much but you never know. Waters puts a lot into his stage show so I would imagine this would be a spectacular show and probably better than the original wall shows of the early eighties, I just hope he pulls it off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Somehow I doubt Dublin would be one of the eight cities, but it would be awesome if the tour was extended and came to Ireland. If it happens at all that is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

8 cities seems crazy as the tour would cost a lot to put on but I would expect it go well beyond the said 8 and to a lot more countries as Roger has played in and if EMI have any sense they would do everything to help. But if it doesn't well I guess I will travel across the water to see it as I did with David Gilmour a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I'd love to see Waters live, but I'm not the biggest fan of the wall in it's entirety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I agree, the wall would not be my cup of tea, I'd much prefer to see him dust off some earlier stuff, do the set from Live at pompeii for example.

I would love to see the wall live as I should have gone to see it in London in 1980 in Earls Court but I backed out. Roger has played Sheep and Dogs live which I thought were excellent and Gilmour played Echoes which was outstanding and brought back memories of Pompeii, it was great to hear these tracks live just a pity it wasn't Pink Floyd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm not mad keen on either The Wall in its entirety, or seeing Roger Waters on his own. I'd go just to see what he's like. I'm not his biggest fan to be honest.

I'd love to see Gilmour live though. He's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Jay P wrote: »
    I'm not mad keen on either The Wall in its entirety, or seeing Roger Waters on his own. I'd go just to see what he's like. I'm not his biggest fan to be honest.

I'd love to see Gilmour live though. He's awesome.

roger waters is pink floyd, dave gilmore is just a new comer, hope it does come to ireland if it happens at all

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Saw Roger Waters in The Marquee a couple of years back doing Dark Side and more........what a gig .........the guy oozes class.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

was that the one where the sound went in the middle of it, i was at that one but they got it going again and carried on, roger was'nt to happy about it, saw him in the point too on a monday night years ago, everyone rolling spliffs and smoking them, they were the days

roger waters is pink floyd, dave gilmore is just a new comer, hope it does come to ireland if it happens at all

I know he is, he wrote some of my favourite pieces of music of all time. I don't like his voice, or his character. I admire his work though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Would love to see Roger Waters as it will probably be the closest thing to Pink floyd, not keen on him playing all of the wall though. Would much rather wish you were here + more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

David Gilmour is every bit much an essential part of Pink Floyd as much as Waters was, they were the creative force behind the most productive and successful iteration of Pink Floyd. Also Gilmours vocals are so much better than Waters, who I think sounds awful on most songs...unless his drab voice happens to suit the tone. Obviously he's a great writer and all, but I still really enjoyed post-Waters Pink Floyd too.

Personally everything before Gilmour joined isnt my cup of tea at all, really dont like any of the Barrett era stuff tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

robby^5 wrote: »
    David Gilmour is every bit much an essential part of Pink Floyd as much as Waters was, they were the creative force behind the most productive and successful iteration of Pink Floyd. Also Gilmours vocals are so much better than Waters, who I think sounds awful on most songs...unless his drab voice happens to suit the tone. Obviously he's a great writer and all, but I still really enjoyed post-Waters Pink Floyd too.

Personally everything before Gilmour joined isnt my cup of tea at all, really dont like any of the Barrett era stuff tbh.

Couldnt agree with you more,pre Gilmour isnt great but post Waters is tremendous.. although Waters was the brains behind the Floyd, Gilmour was the voice and the soul behind the band, and seeing anyone other than David Gilmour playing the solo to comfortably numb live is practically blasphemy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I love The Wall. I would love to see it. If he doesn't come to Ireland, I'd go to the UK to see it. Then if they make a DVD out of it, I'd buy it. If they make a live album out of it, I'd buy that too.

Roger Waters puts on a great show, and because The Wall is his baby, I'd imagine he'd make the shows very special. Maybe not a 40ft wall though... ;)

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Couldnt agree with you more,pre Gilmour isnt great but post Waters is tremendous.. although Waters was the brains behind the Floyd, Gilmour was the voice and the soul behind the band, and seeing anyone other than David Gilmour playing the solo to comfortably numb live is practically blasphemy..

+1
    Waters is a sh11t singer. I can't stand his voice when they plated at Live 8. Then again, his voice suits a lot of what he "sings" on The Wall, so the show wouldn't be all that bad from that point of view.

But yeah, Gilmour is the king of Comfortably Numb. It's criminal for anyone else to play it!

There's no competition when it comes to singing, Gilmour wins hands down. But in the early 70s Roger was a good foil for both Gilmour and Richard Wright (RIP) whose voices were very similar. Roger is most definitely the most creative of the two and as far as I am concerned Gilmour is lazy and only brought out On an Island because of Phil Manzanera pushing him so hard. Roger took over the band as the creative juices of the other three had disappeared. I will go the wall concert if it comes off and would expect Jon Carin to take Gilmour's voice parts and probably Snowy White for the guitar parts unless hell freezes over the two of them.

Actually, I just remembered something from the Pink Floyd book I got for Christmas last year, "Pigs Might Fly." Someone asked how to tell the difference between Roger singing and Gilmours singing, and their manager replied:
    "Easy. Waters is the one who sings out of tune." :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The Wall would be awesome to see. They never show the film on TV :( haven't seen it in years.

It's on TCM fairly often. I haven't seen it there in a few months though. I'm sure it'll be on again sometime soon. I bought it on DVD just so I can watch it in the middle of the day, instead of at one o clock at night. Seriously, watching that movies is hard enough, but when coupled with extreme tiredness it becomes almost impossible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I love the Floyd but I'd have to think twice about going to a Roger Waters show. He was never the best singer but his voice is gone now. It could be worth it for the visuals and as the nearest thing we'll get these days to the original concerts.

An official DVD of the original live show(s) would be a very nice stocking filler too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Firetrap wrote: »
    I love the Floyd but I'd have to think twice about going to a Roger Waters show

Have you ever seen a Roger Waters show?

I saw him in Cork and I don't think you would say that if you ever saw a Roger Waters show... ;)

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    Have you ever seen a Roger Waters show?

I saw him in Cork and I don't think you would say that if you ever saw a Roger Waters show... ;)

I agree with you. I have seen Waters and Gilmour twice in concert. Gilmour in 1982 in the national stadium and in the RAH a couple of years ago. Waters in the point on the in the flesh tour and the recent DSOTM tour. Of the four concerts Waters in the point DSOTM was easily the best. He cannot sing that well any more but he puts on a great show and the wall if it goes ahead would be a spectacular show. I have also seen Floyd without Waters and it too was a great show. But people are putting Roger down probably without ever seeing him live. For those who haven't watch the In the flesh DVD. I just hope the wall shows comes off. Waters is also working on a dvd of the DSOTM tour at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Firetrap wrote: »
    An official DVD of the original live show(s) would be a very nice stocking filler too

I doubt that any of the original gigs were professionally filmed (the original Wall tour only saw about 30 performances, after all) as it would have surfaced in some form or another by now. Still, we can dream! The Wall Live in Berlin isn't a bad substitute, although it's not Floyd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've never been to a live Waters show but have seen a few DVDs (legit and VOIOs) The shows may look spectacular but if I want to hear a decent version of The Wall I've got the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭furiousox

blastman wrote: »
    I doubt that any of the original gigs were professionally filmed (the original Wall tour only saw about 30 performances, after all) as it would have surfaced in some form or another by now. Still, we can dream! The Wall Live in Berlin isn't a bad substitute, although it's not Floyd.

Some of the Earls Court 'Wall' shows were filmed for use in the movie but ended up on the cutting room floor.
    l've got a dodgy dvd copy of one of the Earls Court shows, quality isn't great but its still very watchable - gotta be the greatest and most ambitious stage show ever!
    Waters actually says in this months Mojo (or Classic Rock) that he recently found some long lost Wall concert footage that is good enough for release.
    (He is currently working on the dvd footage of the DSOTM tour)

So l think between the Broadway stage show, potential 2010 tour and dvd release, we haven't seen the last of 'The Wall' yet :)

Lucky enough to see Waters 4 times on the last tour (Dublin, Cork, Manchester & Liverpool) all great shows!

l do think that the band became 'Floyd Lite' when he left though.
    The Division Bell is a good album but 'Amused To Death' (Waters) sounds more like Floyd......than Floyd!

PS check www.brain-damage.co.uk for all things Floyd related

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Really liking that there is a Floyd thread now....even if it is for a rumoured Waters tour!:D
    Was just wondering if anybody has read any of the Pink Floyd books available in easons at the mo?
    Pigs might fly by Mark Blake
    and
    Inside out by Nick Mason

either of them any good or is one better than the other? Am thinking the Nick Mason one might be better seeing as its from a band members view. Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Beekay wrote: »
    Really liking that there is a Floyd thread now....even if it is for a rumoured Waters tour!:D
    Was just wondering if anybody has read any of the Pink Floyd books available in easons at the mo?
    and
    Inside out by Nick Mason

either of them any good or is one better than the other? Am thinking the Nick Mason one might be better seeing as its from a band members view. Any thoughts?

ive read pigs might fly, the first 3/4 's are excellant but it kind of lags by the end, its worth the read though

Beekay wrote: »
    and
    Inside out by Nick Mason

I have read inside out and it is a good read. Nothing sensational in there but then again Mason was never a Keith Moon/John Bonham type. The book shows exactly how close the band were in the early seventies,holidaying together including most of the crew including Naomi Watts father Peter who was floyd's road manager and how the band started to crack.

My brother has a tape of the Earls Court Wall shows but it is a dreadful quality. I would recommend watching or buying David Gilmour Remember that night DVD. A great concert and a documentary on the extras where Gilmour's band are rehearsing and as David is walking into the studio as Roger is walking out a great piece to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭furiousox

There's a link here for buying signed hardback copies of Mason's book, the cost is £40 plus postage.
    He also does 'personal' signatures (ie to Patrick, best wishes etc)

Christmas is coming, time to start dropping hints :)

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/archive/nick-mason-signed-inside-out-books.html

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

donglen wrote: »
    Saw Roger Waters in The Marquee a couple of years back doing Dark Side and more........what a gig .........the guy oozes class.
    The best gig of my life.

Advertisement