Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual money box

• 04-11-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭

Anyone come across one of these on their travels? dont know where the key is, i suspect th bank would have had it.....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dubbrin wrote: »
    Anyone come across one of these on their travels? dont know where the key is, i suspect th bank would have had it.....?

They were quite common in their day but yours is quite interesting as the Munster & Leinster Bank became the Allied Irish Bank in 1972 and the box is certainly older than that. I have had one or two but not with keys which, indeed, were probably held by the bank. I seem to remember paying €20+ each for my ones some years ago and if your trying to sell it eBay is probably your best bet - but put a decent reserve on it as it's a nice item and there's no point in giving it away. :)

www.collectireland.blogspot.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dubbrin

yeah its a nice piece of work alright. would like to be able to open it as there are a few coins inside, it doesnt see like the most complicated of locking mechanisms. would be nice to figure out what they were used for, im thinking some kind of gimmicky/high class savings or something

I wouldn't waste your time trying to open it as the odds are you will bugger up the lock and the contents are unlikely to be worth anything, plus the box will also then be worthless. The boxes were given out to encourage younger savers, I had a more modern version from the Northern Bank when I was a child - designed to look like a book. Had a look on eBay tonight but nothing similar - they do turn-up there from time to time. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

The keys for these money banks were pretty universal, so if you found a similar one with a different bank name the chances are that it would open it. They weren't exactly designed for high security, rather just as savings banks during hard times. I have keys for all the UK and Ireland book type money banks but unfortunately not for this type. It's very nice BTW, worth about 40 pounds sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I have this one...its full of old money too....cant bring myself to bust it open though....:o

• Advertisement

You're dead right not to bust it open. A nice looking box and chances are worth more than the contents. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I have this one...its full of old money too....cant bring myself to bust it open though....:o

Whats the makers name?, it'll be stamped on it. Pearson page jewsbury?

Advertisement