Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway - Enniskillen, best route?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

What's the best route from Galway to Enniskillen? Last time I went via Sligo, but google maps shows via Carrick-on-Shannon and via Roscommon bothe shorter and faster. I think going via Sligo might still be the best, since the roads are the best, even though it's an extra 14 miles, but I never tried the other routes. Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Watanabe wrote: »
    Hi,

What's the best route from Galway to Enniskillen? Last time I went via Sligo, but google maps shows via Carrick-on-Shannon and via Roscommon bothe shorter and faster. I think going via Sligo might still be the best, since the roads are the best, even though it's an extra 14 miles, but I never tried the other routes. Any opinions?

I would take the N17/N16 via Sligo myself as both are national primary routes thus the drive would be easier I would imagine. The N16 is poor enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

went there last weekend from clare

try
    Gort ..Loughrea ...
    Ballinasloe...[M4]
    Athlone...[N55]
    Ballymahon
    Edwardstown
    .....Cavan...
    Enniskillen

about 3 hours. 20 mins..travel time. (Sunday Morning) ..from Ennis

try cooneys in ballymahon for a nice sandwich...

probably the most direct for me anyway
    and roads not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Watanabe

Thanks for the replies. I did the trip from Galway City also leaving early in the morning a few weeks back and I took the N17 to Sligo, not the most direct route, but the best roads and it took 3 hours and 20 mins. to the outskirts of Enniskillen and I didn't hit any traffic, except within the town of Enniskillen. I can't believe it takes the same amout of time from Clare and I'm nearly an hour North of Clare. Certainly going via Athlone on the motorway would be fast, but probably not as practical coming from Galway. I may go via Carrick-on-Shannonnext time, but I ight be sorry. Thanks again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Hi,

I live in Co. Roscommon and unfortunately know the roads only too well. Take the Sligo route and save yourself a lot of grief. The roads are much better. Google is not taking into account that the roads are as crap as they really are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Athlone...[N55]
    Ballymahon
    Edwardstown
    .....Cavan...
    Enniskillen

I've gone this route a good few times, your talking just under two hours from Athlone to Asda car park, I generally go early morning with little or no traffic

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

google maps shows via Carrick-on-Shannon and via Roscommon bothe shorter and faster
    Elphin, and to a lesser extent Roscommon, to the Border is very poor road. (I'm from Carrick)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi,

I think you can do it faster than 3 hours 20

I live in Boyle and Galway to Boyle is about 1 hr 30 going Galway - Tuam - Dunmore - Williamstown - Castlerea - Frenchpark - Boyle

Boyle to Enniskillen is about 1 hr 10 (depending on what time you hit Enniskillen you can hit traffic but that's the only part of the route that there's a hold up on

I go Boyle (head on N4 towards Carrick on Shannon) turn left for Keadue - Drumshanbo - Dowra - Blacklion/Belcoo - Enniskillen

The road is windy in places but there is very little traffic on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

also the way by carrick on shannon is more scenic .
    i find the way via sligo to be a bit bleak plus the road from sligo to enniskillen is not great.

Advertisement