Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Timetable

Options
  • 04-11-2009 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Ok so I'm in 5th year now and I'm starting to feel the pressure of the work. I am aiming for 540 points (because of the course I want to do).

I am doing all honours subjects; Maths, English, Irish, French, History, Physics, Business, Economics and Applied Maths. I am weak in French and Irish so won't be using them for points. Instead I am taking on Applied Maths and Economics aswell. I do Applied Maths after school and Economics myself.

I will be getting grinds in Irish and French soon but I need to make a study plan for all my subjects. I also need some tips on how to do well in each subject!

I would like to drop History but I doubt my school will allow it?

Mondays and Wednesdays I have Applied Maths and I get home at about 5pm
    Tuesdays and Thursdays I sometimes work (get home at 7pm).
    Fridays (and if I'm not working Tuesday or Thursday) I get home at 4pm.

Advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Lose the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Can't really.. Moneys tight at home atm so I can't ask my parents for money when I need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Do you think you will do honours Irish and French? I know it's early, but when I was in 5th i knew it was a waste of time doing Irish so dropped to pass in 6th (already had 8 other honours)

I did Applied Maths and Economics as extra subjects too!! My two favourite subjects along with Maths. So theres some encouragement. (Did Physics and Business aswell as English and French)....almost identical:eek:(I did accounting instead of history though:().
    Anyways... I cant help much on the study plan side as I made a new study plan every week (well for month before the exams).

Set tasks more so than time limits on study. (You might then estimate how long these tasks will take and prioritise or whatever)

And when you are watching tv...knowing you have study planned, thinking to yourself," i wont be able to study.... where will i start...i have to look at this thing first...blah...blah" i recommend just goin to your room with a bottle of water and sitting down. Warm up with a bit of maths (im assuming you like it) and that'll give you motivation to study other subjects

But I will say to take advantage of at least one day each weekend and also to use your midterms wisely
    I never really did study on school days other than for in-class exams... stupid homework.
    Maths gets way easier next year btw

I know you wanted a study plan but when I saw what subject you were doing I felt like writing.

Got 590 btw (Dont take Economics for granted:rolleyes:)

Feck sake. Even though I knew you were 5th year I continued to write as if you were 6th. Dont worry too much yet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I'd definitely consider dropping to pass in either Irish or French (probably not both I'd say, don't want to leave yourself with no safety net!) HL Irish is a major time drain because there's just so much material to cover; that being said, it's not all that difficult to do well in it (in my opinion). They don't actually mark it that hard (although I had a good standard of Irish so maybe I'm a bit biased?). French is probably the opposite (in my experience anyways) - not a lot to learn but I found it to be a very difficult paper. It's totally unpredictable.

I'd definitely drop History too if you're allowed - there's just such an immense quantity of information to absorb that it'll waste a lot of your time, and it's a really nasty paper to boot.

Of course, it all depends on how confident you are with your other subjects. I know from experience that it's not easy to do a subject outside school (never mind two).

As regards study plans, you really don't need to study a whole lot in 5th year. Just try and keep on top of things now. For Maths, work really hard at your homework and try to get everything right, no matter how many tries it takes. For English, get very familiar with your poetry and Shakespeare play (is it Hamlet for 2011? - very long and complex play.) That way it'll come back to you quicker next year. Do any homework you get to the best of your ability - always try and improve your writing. For Physics, make sure you understand absolutely everything you do in class, or you'll be lost next year. Again, homework is very important here. As for Business... Don't worry about it too much right now ;)

You do, however, need to be disciplined when it comes to Applied Maths and Economics; you don't have classes in them and you need to compensate for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭HotP0pp3r

Well for starters your only in 5th year so you shouldnt feel under any stress yet! and as far as your subjects go, you will need to drop to pass in at least one subject (irish since you dont like it anyway) and drop a subject, your school cant force you to keep up history so if you want drop it. 9 subjects is way to much to keep up, i did applied maths in 5th year and dropped in 6th cause i didnt need it. Im still doing 7 subjects and including pass irish and i find that in 6th year most people end up dropping at least one honour subject. Some drop their language altogether if its not needed. If i were in your position id go to pass irish now and drop history, concentrate on the subjects you need. Theres no way you can study 9 honours and keep up a job for the leaving btw. Its much to difficult!!

Advertisement