Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone advice

• 04-11-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have a SE k800i which has served me well for years, but think its time for an upgrade. I also have an ipod touch 32gb, so was thinking about selling the pair of them and buying an iphone or other phone/mp3 player combo.

Should I go for the iphone or is there better out there ? Also, how much is one likely to cost me ? (Im currently on meteor pay as you go)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

5-600euro for a new iphone on O2 so you'd have to get it unlocked. Around 300 second hand. Or 700 + factory unlocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

rizzee wrote: »
    5-600euro for a new iphone on O2 so you'd have to get it unlocked. Around 300 second hand. Or 700 + factory unlocked!

Are they easy/expensive to get unlocked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If its just for music you want the phone, their is more options to choose than an iphone, and phones that are an awful lot cheaper.

Have you any other wants or needs in the phone apart from a music player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Tusky wrote: »
    Are they easy/expensive to get unlocked ?

Iphone 3G S on o2 prepay is 420 bangers. Jailbreak and unlock was easy enough - I've been using one on Vodafone since xmas...
    Question is: what else are you using the phone for? Some new Nokia's have dedicated audio chips with testresults placing them alongside classic ipods. Some Samsungs sound quite good too... All have features that the iPhone lacks, while the IPhone is prettier and has some nice apps...yadayada...

It all depends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

strecker wrote: »
    Iphone 3G S on o2 prepay is 420 bangers. Jailbreak and unlock was easy enough - I've been using one on Vodafone since xmas...

I'm sure you mean the iPhone 3G is €420? For a second there I was thinking "that's a good deal".

• Advertisement

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I'm sure you mean the iPhone 3G is €420? For a second there I was thinking "that's a good deal".

Oh, oopsie :))

That's how little I care... Hehehe...

Davy wrote: »
    If its just for music you want the phone, their is more options to choose than an iphone, and phones that are an awful lot cheaper.

Have you any other wants or needs in the phone apart from a music player?

Well looking at my finances, it doesnt look like I can afford an iphone. I might just keep the ipod touch and upgrade the k800i.

Any suggestions in regards to that ? Would have a budget of maybe 150-200.

Tusky wrote: »
    Well looking at my finances, it doesnt look like I can afford an iphone. I might just keep the ipod touch and upgrade the k800i.

Any suggestions in regards to that ? Would have a budget of maybe 150-200.

As you're keeping the iPod, and you used to have a k800i, is it right to assume you're looking for a decent cam-phone? Or an allrounder? Do you use the web/email a lot?

strecker wrote: »
    As you're keeping the iPod, and you used to have a k800i, is it right to assume you're looking for a decent cam-phone? Or an allrounder? Do you use the web/email a lot?

Good quality camera, big bright screen, good looking and functional phone are whats important to me. Im a bit of a sucker for any extra features also though. I do use email alot but up until now, havent used it on my phone as its not great on the k800i.

[edit] After reading the other thread I'm tempted to get a HTC Hero. 400 euro...hmmm.

Advertisement