Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info about UCD

Options
  • 04-11-2009 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hii Im hoping to go to UCD next year & i was wonderin is it any good? I have my heart set on it like :) Wats it like? Nightlife?
    :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Big question, to be honest and every time one of these topics is started there's a variety of answers.

In terms of clubbing there's pretty much always some nightclub where UCD people will be on a given night, if that's what you're into.

Not a great campus aesthetically, to be honest but it works.

What are you looking/hoping for in particular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Eeef wrote: »
    Hii Im hoping to go to UCD next year & i was wonderin is it any good? I have my heart set on it like :) Wats it like? Nightlife?

Thanks

Nightlife; yeah UCD has a nightlife. Up until 10pm you can get coffee, play pool, head inside any of the buildings on campus, buy wine from Centra. For the really bold people you can not only purchase, but also drink alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages in either the SU bar or else the Forum bar. So UCD has a wikkid night life yes. UCD (and I can scientifically verify this) is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Eeef

Wow :)

I like the sound of that... Do you go to UCD?

Im a bit of a party girl so :)

But i study when i have to:)

Im really hoping to go there like i love dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Prob not the best thing to base yer entire degree on but anyway!

Most of the colleges will have some sorta night out every day pretty much, Ucd is savage craic though.

Really good facilities too, and some really nice people around! On campus seshes tend to be the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Thanks

UCD is big, very big. Think of your school and multiply it by about 20 times - 22,000 students sit their exams in UCD every summer.

It can therefore be very intimidating. Fortunately, it can also be a place you can get lost in for the same reason of size. You can disappear up to the upper library at 8.30am and just emerge out around midnight every night.

I loved UCD because it had a huge array of societies, clubs, events and nights out. It also had some very sharp academics who would, when you asked them, spend the time helping you achieve your aims. It could be anything you wanted it to be depending on the effort you wanted to put in and what your aims were. I went from loving the craic in 1st Year to loving - yes, loving! - the complete isolation of my final year in the PhD.

The big downside of UCD remains the incessant breakdown of internet access across the campus. This is totally unacceptable, despite the many improvements in PR of the Computer Services department. UCD's restaurant has always been abysmal, and it always will be. No hope. There is at least hope that the internet server will stop crashing.

Overall, UCD is well worth going to. Bain taitneamh as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I guess if you're looking for a party college UCD is about as good as its gonna get. Like we're disputably not the best in Academics, but undisputed party legends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

errlloyd wrote: »
    I guess if you're looking for a party college UCD is about as good as its gonna get. Like we're disputably not the best in Academics, but undisputed party legends.

Speak for yourself madam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

errlloyd wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    Eeef wrote:
    Hii Im hoping to go to UCD next year & i was wonderin is it any good? I have my heart set on it like :) Wats it like? Nightlife? :)

OP, if you want to go to university under the premise of getting pissed* all of the time, I guarantee that you will do shit and come out with a crap degree, regardless of how much work you think you can do and this is of little use to anyone. If you want to party all of them time, go to some other backwater 'third level institution', but have a little foresight before you jump on the Belfield bandwagon, and weigh up the course and expertise as opposed to the institution. Personally, I would suggest that you should consider NUI Galway, QUB or UL, as they have a better night life but that's just my opinion.

*'Partying' or 'nightlife' is just another euphemism for getting gee eyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

there are open days at the start of december if you want to come and quiz more current students and teachers about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

El Siglo wrote: »
    OP, if you want to go to university under the premise of getting pissed* all of the time, I guarantee that you will do shit and come out with a crap degree, regardless of how much work you think you can do and this is of little use to anyone. If you want to party all of them time, go to some other backwater 'third level institution', but have a little foresight before you jump on the Belfield bandwagon

Don't be such a fuddy duddy :p getting gee eyed is a big part of the college experience for a lot of people. Of course you need to balance the two, but looking forward to go to college for the enjoyment factor isn't unreasonable. I drink a fair bit but am on course to get a pretty good degree. You definitely need to balance the two but they aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think the OP comes across as an alcoholic-waster-in-waiting.
    weigh up the course and expertise as opposed to the institution.

Considering the actual college is reasonable, in fairness. Obviously the course you want to do has a big bearing on what college you're going to attend, but if you don't have your heart set on a particular course, if you just want to further your education, then choosing what actual college to go to does become important.

• Advertisement

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Don't be such a fuddy duddy :p getting gee eyed is a big part of the college experience for a lot of people. Of course you need to balance the two, but looking forward to go to college for the enjoyment factor isn't unreasonable. I drink a fair bit but am on course to get a pretty good degree. You definitely need to balance the two but they aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think the OP comes across as an alcoholic-waster-in-waiting.

Considering the actual college is reasonable, in fairness. Obviously the course you want to do has a big bearing on what college you're going to attend, but if you don't have your heart set on a particular course, if you just want to further your education, then choosing what actual college to go to does become important.

Omg i like you :) Thanks for stickin up for me! Im from Waterford so you can see why i would want to get out of here up to the big smoke..

I like to party but i know its not all about that like... I study 2 like but college is supposed to be the best years of our life so make the most of it i say:)

:rolleyes:

OP, if you want to go to university under the premise of getting pissed* all of the time, I guarantee that you will do shit and come out with a crap degree, regardless of how much work you think you can do and this is of little use to anyone. If you want to party all of them time, go to some other backwater 'third level institution', but have a little foresight before you jump on the Belfield bandwagon, and weigh up the course and expertise as opposed to the institution. Personally, I would suggest that you should consider NUI Galway, QUB or UL, as they have a better night life but that's just my opinion.

*'Partying' or 'nightlife' is just another euphemism for getting gee eyed.

Well isnt it great that im not going to university under that premises of getting "pissed"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Omg i like you :) Thanks for stickin up for me! Im from Waterford so you can see why i would want to get out of here up to the big smoke..

I like to party but i know its not all about that like... I study 2 like but college is supposed to be the best years of our life so make the most of it i say:)

Well that's great. Good luck with your studies for 6th year and I hope you get what you want out of the leaving cert. :)
    Feel free to ask any more questions about UCD if you want.

Advertisement