Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External harddrive problem

Options
  • 04-11-2009 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey everyone

First time user
    i need your help i have an external hard drive (2tb) lacie hi speed usb2.0
    when i hook it up to my samsung q310 and go to transfer a file it will go about 20% of the way and crash :mad: computer freeze does anyone know why?

Any help would be really greatful, by the way the hard drive is brand new just out of the box and formatted!!

thanks
    Calv

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Open Source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 muntijaqi

Hi!
    As part of troubleshooting I would recommend you to try to do the same with a Linux live CD.
    For example you run the PC with the liveCD Ubuntu and try to connect the external hard disk (Ubuntu will automatically detect it and show the icon on desktop) and transfer again the file.

It could be your hard disk is damaged but this PC frozen could be some Operating System malfunction so its better to make sure the problem is not with the hard disk.

And if the problem persists with the live CD you could try in some other computer before returning back the hard disk

Advertisement