Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Crowe brothers

Options
  • 04-11-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

why are the Crowes the people everyone loves to hate? is it down to their political affiliation?
    personally i think Micheal crowe is one of the shrewdest politicans in our city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Because two Crowes together are a murder waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I see, i am not too familiar with their policies, but I suspect their conservatism is the cause of their unpopularity, at least with younger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Can think of a few politicians I hate a lot more...

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

This is taken from another forum

"Interesting to note that the tables have turned on Councillor MIchael Crowe with regard to his "holier than thou" attitude when he recently attacked Councillor BIlly Cameron's expenses claim. I recall that he stated in local media that Cameron's bahaviour was bringing negative press to all councillors. However, note the latest - Mail on Sunday,3rd November, page 10 & 11 "The Councillors who claim to be two places at the one time". Our "ethical standard settting" Couincillor Crowe features.....he has been feathering his nest, while all the time throwing s...t at Cameroon. Seems Crowe claimed €410 for going to Mayo, returning at 6pm but has the amazing ability to have set out for Clare at 2pm on the same day, claiming €551. His excuse is hilarous-check it out!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

No real policies of note, will fly anyway for popularity..power hungry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

dec25532 wrote: »
    His excuse is hilarous-check it out!"
    Link?

i can't stand Crowe, i've never come across anybody so painfully self righteous. He's always in the paper "Calling for" this and "Condeming" that and generally soapboxing about anything that might gain him some reason to be around. Having said that he'll probably rise up through the ranks of FF and make a very good living out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Fuinseog wrote: »
    why are the Crowes the people everyone loves to hate? is it down to their political affiliation?
    personally i think Micheal crowe is one of the shrewdest politicans in our city.

I would say that yes it possibly is down to their political affiliation as if you want to side with a political party that has a long history of incredible corruption, cronyism etc than you have to accept you are going to be tarred with the same brush regardless of your abilities as a politician.
    I personally think that Micheal is just a bandwagon jumper who has no real care for his constituents and just wants to tub thump on causes he thinks will get him votes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I agree with Webbs

Something does not add up to me,
    maybe the Crowes will demand transparency and openness in areas of conflict with the City Council ie. do they have inside knowledge on social housing and buy up investment properties, do the clampers not clamp their cars on Bohermore etc.

Also Michael Crowe hates trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

He used to train me in rowing for the Bish and to be honest I found him to be dead sound. That was 15/16yrs ago mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

he's definitely positioning himself to take frank fahey's seat....

fahey's power base in the city has been wiped out by the Crowe's gains....they are firmly in the O'Cuiv camp....

I would think Michael J Crowe will be in the Dail before long....who knew there were so many votes in Bohermore...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

It's a funny thing how low Fianna Fail have gone in public opinion- a very funny thing. A lot of the dislike for Mike Crowe seems to stem from one being FF and two being in the paper every second week saying this or that (that nobody else cares about) is a disgrace. I would guess despite family tradition he chose FF, after originally being independent, because it would traditionally be the easiest route to the bigger stage and secondly he's in the paper every week to make sure everyone knows who he is. For a guy not in the game too long he's got a lot of name recognition in the city. He's being a politician- hate him for that if you like.

Like it or not having a potential government TD in the city is to the gain of most residents here. Frank Fahey or Eamonn O (the only time I've time I've seen him in town was looking like some forgotten scarecrow in shop street during the Lisbon referendum) have done as little as possible for the city and looking at some of the problems here it might be better if one or both of them slung their hook. Noel Grealish- what's he ever done except dither about what party to follow?

What's good for Galway City is almost without exception good for the County. The contrary doesn't run true.

Fair play to Mike or Ollie Crowe if they make it to the next level- Galway City is forgotten as it stands politically.

Des Hynes wrote: »
    No real policies of note, will fly anyway for popularity..power hungry..

what politican isn't? he is eager to make his mark. he is young enoughas well. a lot of the city fathers are getting on.
    is he hardworking?
    i rememeber when crowe was independent. he had the novel idea of putting in writing pads in the door. the pads had his picture on them, so he is one of the most easy to recognise politicans in galway.

do you think he has avieved anything or is he just spouting out what he thinks the electorate want to hear like Enda kenny?

McTigs wrote: »
    Link?

i can't stand Crowe, i've never come across anybody so painfully self righteous. He's always in the paper "Calling for" this and "Condeming" that and generally soapboxing about anything that might gain him some reason to be around. .
    isn't that what most politicans do?

Also Michael Crowe hates trees.[/quote]

so he's not a tree hugger. the place could do with a bit more greenery. what was his stance on the polluted water?

what politican isn't? he is eager to make his mark. he is young enoughas well. a lot of the city fathers are getting on.
    is he hardworking?
    i rememeber when crowe was independent. he had the novel idea of putting in writing pads in the door. the pads had his picture on them, so he is one of the most easy to recognise politicans in galway.

do you think he has avieved anything or is he just spouting out what he thinks the electorate want to hear like Enda kenny?

Michael D for one.

No policies that I know of , also at the last local elections had removed Fianna Fail from his posters as they weren't flavour of the month.

what was his stance on the polluted water?

If i remember correctly, his response on the Galway Bay fm during the water crises was to have a cheap shot at Niall O'Brolchan

"and where's our supposed green mayor while all this is going on?" or something to that effect

In fairness, say what you like about Niall, it was hardly his fault

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Wheather it's the Crowe brothers or the Connolly sisters it can't be good to have two members of the same immediate family being city councillors at the same time,thereby giving their immediate constituency/area unfair influence.I wonder if any of these voted against their brother or sister on any of the crucial issues affecting Galway? or if they are likely to

Michael D for one.

No policies that I know of , also at the last local elections had removed Fianna Fail from his posters as they weren't flavour of the month.

you don't hear Michael D. banging on about much these days. he has had his day and probably wants to retire in peace. The crowes however are about making a name for themselves.

If i remember correctly, his response on the Galway Bay fm during the water crises was to have a cheap shot at Niall O'Brolchan

"and where's our supposed green mayor while all this is going on?" or something to that effect

In fairness, say what you like about Niall, it was hardly his fault

true,the problem had existed for years and was only being spoken about by 'treehuggers'. but what did our Dubliner mayor do? if I remember correctly there wasn't a peep out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Link?

i can't stand Crowe, i've never come across anybody so painfully self righteous. He's always in the paper "Calling for" this and "Condeming" that and generally soapboxing about anything that might gain him some reason to be around. Having said that he'll probably rise up through the ranks of FF and make a very good living out of it.

To be fair you could say exactly the same about Padraig 'Outraged' Conneely who seems to spend most of his day on a soapbox with a camera to capture the moment. I'd love to know how many photographers that man has on speed-dial:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Being sound is not what a politician needs to be. That's what has this country up the creek at this moment in time.

If Michael Crowe ever gets elected in the General Election, this country deserves all the misery it gets.

you don't hear Michael D. banging on about much these days. he has had his day and probably wants to retire in peace. The crowes however are about making a name for themselves.
    Micheal D never "banged on".

Micheal D is one one of the very few honorable politicians this city or indeed the country has seen in recent decades. An intelligent man and a man of integrity who wasn't afraid to speak up and have the courage of his convictions when it came to matters of genuine importance be it the proposed development of Ceant Station or irelands assistance in the war in afganistan.

If we can look forward to him being replaced by Micheal "i'm sick of trees" Crowe it's pretty sorry state of affairs to be perfectly honest.

Micheal D never "banged on".

Micheal D is one one of the very few honorable politicians this city or indeed the country has seen in recent decades. An intelligent man and a man of integrity who wasn't afraid to speak up and have the courage of his convictions when it came to matters of genuine importance be it the proposed development of Ceant Station or irelands assistance in the war in afganistan.

If we can look forward to him being replaced by Micheal "i'm sick of trees" Crowe it's pretty sorry state of affairs to be perfectly honest.

Amen, Micheal D is a legend, cheap shots are below the belt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

They remind me of the "Grimes brothers" (Twins), not a lot of talent, loads of neck and plenty backing. They could go all the way!!!! Just what the country needs!!!

kraggy wrote: »
    Being sound is not what a politician needs to be. That's what has this country up the creek at this moment in time.

If Michael Crowe ever gets elected in the General Election, this country deserves all the misery it gets.

michael is a hardworker and original, personally I would vote for him unless someone here can provide a credible arguement to the contrary.

Amen, Micheal D is a legend, cheap shots are below the belt.

I wouldn't say I am making cheap shots about michael D. he has had his day. a new generation is emerging. i seriously doubt he would want to stand again for election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I wouldn't say I am making cheap shots about michael D. he has had his day. a new generation is emerging. i seriously doubt he would want to stand again for election.

Eh, he has publicly stated that he will be standing again for the Dáil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Don't be surprised if Ollie makes it as a TD before Mike. Ollie is much more approachable and is very well liked by many.

mike kelly wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if Ollie makes it as a TD before Mike. Ollie is much more approachable and is very well liked by many.

i haven't seen Ollie in over 30 years. i knew him when he was in the mercy. he was a bit of a chancer back then, but liked by all.

• Advertisement

i haven't seen Ollie in over 30 years. i knew him when he was in the mercy. he was a bit of a chancer back then, but liked by all.
    well standard fianna fail fare right there so

a new generation of cute hoors coming through, who said the country was ****ed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement