Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PR spam texts

Options
  • 04-11-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the right forum but it seems the most appropriate.

I've been getting unsolicited text messages from a company called "Anticipation" advertising nightclubs around Dublin, mainly Trampco and the Turks Head (neither of which I have ever been to or ever intend to go to.)

I can't for the life of me find out how they got my number - I usually put down a number with only 6 digits for the free stuff. I've tried texting STOP back to the sender but the message always fails.

What can I do to stop these texts? Has anyone else had texts from the same company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Most info you need to know can be found here: http://regtel.ie/

You can put in the shortcode and it will tell you the senders details. If you didnt sign up for it, you can make a case against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I had a similiar issue with a nightclub in Limerick. I'm from Dublin, never been out in Limerick, never mind this particular spot. Like the OP, I tried replying with STOP but no joy. Contacted the Data Protection Commissioner, lodged a complaint. The sender got fined and the texts stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Like irlrobins, I was receiving spam text promoting a Limerick nightclub. I couldn't reply back with STOP, as they weren't being sent from a number (a name was displaying instead).

I've lodged a complaint with the DPC - am awaiting the outcome. The DPC have been very nice and have asked for copies of all texts received, even while the complaint is ongoing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

how did they get a name into your contacts ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    how did they get a name into your contacts ???

They don't. They use certain web text services which allow a name rather than a number to show up (I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

ShooterSF wrote: »
    They don't. They use certain web text services which allow a name rather than a number to show up (I think).

Yep, this is correct - you send from services in Africa or Asia such as Clickatel where you can enter anything into the sender area - numbers, letters etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

dudara wrote: »
    Like irlrobins, I was receiving spam text promoting a Limerick nightclub. I couldn't reply back with STOP, as they weren't being sent from a number (a name was displaying instead).

I've lodged a complaint with the DPC - am awaiting the outcome. The DPC have been very nice and have asked for copies of all texts received, even while the complaint is ongoing.

I may have to do just that. How do I lodge a complaint? I haven't kept any of the messages except the latest one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

THis is definitely one for the Data Protection Commissioners office and not REgTel. The 'STOP' message only applies to premium sms subscription services and not all advertising messages. However, marketers are obliged to include an opt-out method for recipients so if they are not including these on the nightclub messages they could be subject to a fine/penalty from DPC.

I agree the DPC are very good in investigating these matters.

Advertisement