Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Waterford Dublin rail timetable

• 04-11-2009 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Bit of good news for the region at last( courtesy of the commuter forum). From the 30th Novemeber there is a new 0710hrs departure from Waterford, arriving in Dublin just 2 hours later at 0910 with just one stop en-route at Carlow, so no more of those awfully long stopovers in Kilkenny on this train at least.

This is in addition to the regular 0610 and 0740 services to Dublin also.

All other trains seem to be around 5/10 minutes quicker presumably as the Kildare Route project works are coming to an end.

I guess IE have to do something with most of the new M9 coming on line before the end of the year. Their passengers numbers would be decimated if every journey was still taking 2hrs 40min to Heuston.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

So the train doesn't stop at Kilkenny?

I guess it'll bypass Kilkenny via the Lavistown Curve.

About time this was done.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

alinton wrote: »
    So the train doesn't stop at Kilkenny?

I guess it'll bypass Kilkenny via the Lavistown Curve.

Yep thats the one. On all the other trains the Kilkenny stopover seems to be down to 5minutes. Good to see IE pushing on with enhancing the timetable despite all their problems of late. Theres now 7 northbound and 6 southbound trains each weekday on Waterford-Dublin.

Waterford-Limerick Junction is down from 4 to 3 trains a day in each direction and Waterford-Rosslare stays at 1 per day:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Yep thats the one. On all the other trains the Kilkenny stopover seems to be down to 5minutes. Good to see IE pushing on with enhancing the timetable despite all their problems of late. Theres now 7 northbound and 6 southbound trains each weekday on Waterford-Dublin.

Waterford-Limerick Junction is down from 4 to 3 trains a day in each direction and Waterford-Rosslare stays at 1 per day:rolleyes:

There is a Waterford Rosslare train?

Good news anyway, I'll def be getting that on my odd trip to the capital. Does it cost the same money though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

is there a direct train Dublin back to Waterford???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Still reckon a direct bus on the M9 would beat those times and cheaper too. Why couldn't IE run this until when suddenly they see a major threat imminent. Neither cheap enough nor fast enough. Still only an average speed of 45-50 mph or so...and that's with just one stop. Not exactly groundbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

anyone ever do Waterford to Dublin via Rosslare? Apparently it's like going on holidays :D

I am being serious here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

old gregg wrote: »
    anyone ever do Waterford to Dublin via Rosslare? Apparently it's like going on holidays :D

I am being serious here

?? how

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

mfitzy wrote: »
    Still reckon a direct bus on the M9 would beat those times and cheaper too. Why couldn't IE run this until when suddenly they see a major threat imminent. Neither cheap enough nor fast enough. Still only an average speed of 45-50 mph or so...and that's with just one stop. Not exactly groundbreaking.

Yeah, but it's not the bus. Can't read or eat or piss on a bus, not really anyway. Can't spread out a paper. No room for your legs. Until the M9 is finished it's a rough ride on a bus as well. The view from the window is pretty miserable too, cars and ditches right through Kilkenny.

Personally, I'd do 2.5 hrs on a train rather than 2 hrs on a bus any day of the week, and I'd pay for the privilege as long as I had the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

merlante wrote: »
    Personally, I'd do 2.5 hrs on a train rather than 2 hrs on a bus any day of the week, and I'd pay for the privilege as long as I had the money.

No doubt about this. Comfort on a train outweighs a cramped bus seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

daftdave wrote: »
    ?? how
    well, ya go from Waterford to Rosslare. get off and wait for the Rosslare to Dublin train that takes you up through wexico, wicklow, bray, etc and you end up coming into Connoly station.

btw, where in Sydney? Bronte boy myself before moving to Rainland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

How much is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Was on the new 0710 service this morning. It was one of the newer trains which was a plus, only 3 carriages though so they won't be expecting huge numbers. I'd say it was about half full when we left Waterford and 3/4's full after Carlow. Was looking forward to seeing that Kilkenny bypass part but fell asleep :o

But despite all that it was delayed 15 minutes in total. Mostly waiting for the Dublin-Waterford service at Athy and a few stop and starts around Newbridge too. Good old IE :rolleyes:

Advertisement