Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What product would do this???

Options
  • 04-11-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

OK a very specific use required.

For a data capture element of a promotional campaign I need around 10 staff to be equipped with some sort of device that can allow the staff to collect members of the public's names and email addresses for a competition.

The unit would ideally be handheld and cheap, and you could do this data entry fairly easily. We would then need to transfer the data at the end of the promotion to a pc or excel file.

Now I know, many phones, iphones, etc would all do this to some extent. BUt we are on a budget and dont need any other use for this device.

Does anyone have any ideas or products that could do this job? An old model pda or personal organiser perhaps?? Any thoughts much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I'll start you off

Pen & Paper

You cannot go wrong, No batteries, viruses etc. to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Ecocabbie

haha thanks for your help...:D

Maybe you could also help with the transcribing 20,000 names and email addresses (many illegible) from the pieces of paper into an excel spreadsheet??;)

Only messing BIG LAR, I appreciate the response- and the suggestion. Unfortunately that aint gonna work in this case:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Whats your budget

Hi Davy,

From experience in this type of operation- i know that units will get lost, broken etc so id prefer the cheaper the better.

If I could get the units for EUR50 each and they did the job well Id be happy enough I suppose, gonna need 10-15 units..

Would prefer cheaper but havent really found any options at all yet. Any ideas Davy?

• Advertisement

Have you looked at anything yet, like even a cheap organiser link

Or something a little different http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00015U89M, these would work fine for storing, but if you need to connect to excel may not be the solution

Hi Davy

Yea I have looked around but am not great with this sort of thing, all i was finding were expensive palm computers etc with functionality far beyond what we would need.

Your links look great. In fact if the second one had any sort of memory card that we could extract the data from on a PC then it would be perfect.

Any ideas about one which you could do this for??

Thanks again for your help

Plenty pda's take memory cards like SD etc. One example: link

oooooooh that one looks nice Davy... ill check that out now.

Youre help has put me on the right track, what do you think of this one?
    http://www.calculators-online.co.uk/prod/2338/organisers/Sharp/ZQP20.htm;jsessionid=1360BBC082E01E1F8F23F3E7EE88164A

It says it syncs to outlook express and has a PC cable. I presume Id be able to transfer the contacts/data across this? Do you think Id be right in assuming this?

Thanks
    Andrew

Ecocabbie wrote: »

Thats the same one i linked to earlier, the amazon link above. Im sure it would sync fine, but the memory isnt big, might want to check how many details it takes, and see how many you would need to put on it. The pda would be able to handle more, but if this one does go for it as its half the price.

• Advertisement

thanks alot again Davy, much appreciated.

Advertisement