Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 wireless signal issue

• 04-11-2009 10:18pm

Yet another Windows 7 thread here...

I installed Windows 7 Professional on my laptop recently. All is going well except for one thing, my wireless reception is rubbish. Right now I'm about 1.5m away from my router with no obstructions and the signal is at 4/5. That's not a major issue, but when I was at my brother's house I was getting a fluctuating signal of between 3/5 and 1/5 (with poor performance) while his laptop which was right beside mine had a full signal - both laptops have the same wireless LAN adapter. The router would have been about 3m away though behind a wall. When running XP both scenarios mentioned above gave me a full 5/5 signal.

My laptop has an Intel 4965AGN wireless adapter and I tried the drivers released by Intel on 7's launch day but they didn't help at all. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pcman

Connection strenght will vary depending on what router and what config you have

some of the variables are

1. wireless channel (1-11) can be set on both the router and card
    2. Wireless technology (A,B,G,N)
    3. power management
    4. roaming agressivness
    the list goes on

it could simply be that you have a better router than your brother

I have a 5 GHz router on channel 48 but that's besides the point. Windows XP works fine in either situation - it's only since I installed Windows 7 that I've had this particular problem. The range seems to be greatly reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Have you got the correct and most up to date driver installed for your wireless network adapter?

Edit: I have the same adapter in my laptop. Latest driver seems to be:

Driver Date - 26/03/2009
    Driver Version - 12.4.1.4

What version are you on if you look in your device manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

one other possible issue is perhaps one of the 2 antenna wires for the intergrated wifi card has become loose. Should be a panel similar to memory access panel at base of laptop. Or you could rule out a hardware issue by booting off a ubuntu cd and seeing how it picks up the wifi strength.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if the problem only occurs since windows 7 install then it's most likely to be a software setting and I'd say power saving is the main one to check

5 GHz so unlikely to be someone else near by, and if there is you should pick up the name in windows, and all you'd have to do is change channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I installed Windows 7 on a laptop and I also noticed the wireless signal wasn't as strong as it was on XP. I had two laptops side by side, one with XP and one with 7. The XP one found the router and connected whereas the 7 one couldn't find the network or it found it intermittently with poor signal.

It was the most up to date driver aswel. Infact, I got better performance from the old driver than with the new one so I'm fairly sure its got something to do with the driver but I haven't been able to fix it. Its a Dell 1390 802.11g Mini Wireless Card.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Karsini wrote: »
    I have a 5 GHz router on channel 48 but that's besides the point. Windows XP works fine in either situation - it's only since I installed Windows 7 that I've had this particular problem. The range seems to be greatly reduced.
    Unistall the drivers and connect to your router with the LAN cable, then run Windows Update and let it install the drivers for you.

Soundman wrote: »
    Have you got the correct and most up to date driver installed for your wireless network adapter?

Edit: I have the same adapter in my laptop. Latest driver seems to be:

Driver Date - 26/03/2009
    Driver Version - 12.4.1.4

What version are you on if you look in your device manager?

I had the same driver, it's the one which is bundled with Windows 7. Intel also released a newer driver on Windows 7's launch day but this did the same thing. I also checked the power management setting for the wireless in the power options but it was set to maximum performance. As a test I just tried installing the 64-bit XP driver and it seems to be working but it's too early to say if using an XP driver has caused any other problems.

Advertisement