Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of surface for arena

Options
  • 04-11-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could tell me an approximate estimate for sand for a 20m x 40m arena. I know it'll depend on whether it's sea sand or 'normal' sand, or if there's fibre/rubber in it.

I'm looking to change the surface on the arena and was thinking of getting sand to replace what's on it now, but I just wanted a rough ballpark figure of what to expect before I phoned up the different suppliers and dropped the phone with shock. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Around 3 k I'd say. Sand is available for around €10 a tonne. You would want 8 loads maybe. Depends on the distance involved then. The transport can be more than the sand. The crushed glass is available in Clare for €15 a tonne. I have seen it in a few gallops and it is good stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GiantJ

You will need aprox 120 - 150 ton of sand, shop around for best prices. i suggest you have a mix of washed sand and grit sand, beach sand only rolls and eventually compacts preventing good and essential drainage, also crumb rubber in Dromiscon co. Louth are suppliers of recycled rubber tyres, you can buy it in ton bags at 200 euro a bag , aprox 8-10 bags maybe less for your arena. I used this its fantastic, freedraining and never freezes and no need to mix with sand, put it on top when sand is finished roughly spread and the horses do the rest . I will take a while to mix in but and you will never flood, not like some professionally done arenas that cost a fortune . The rubber added makes a huge difference and money well spent, trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Thanks for the info guys!

Regarding the sea sand, I've got a light harrow that I can use to harrow the arena, so if I harrow a sea sand arena regularly (but not so frequently that the sand would become compacted from driving on it), would that stop the arena compacting too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GiantJ

Still don't advise sea sand. Even regular harrowing wont make a hugh difference. If anything I would worry about damaging your terraim membrane under the sand which would mean re-doing your arena again. Think about it , sea sand when compacted is a water barrier, just like in the use of sand bags which is used to prevent water getting passed and flooding buildings etc. So think about it it will do the same in your arena and prevent water from draining off quick enough. In my opinion, just dont use in in the first place and save yourself the worry and expense . A mixture of grit sand and washed sand with a mix of crumb rubber does work. Just remember even use of the arena is also important, like lungeing. Don't lunge in only one area and dont keep jumps in only one area without rakeing and moving around or it will eventually wear down. Use your harrow lightly every now and then making sure the harrow doesn,t have prongs that are longer than the debt of your arena or it will catch your terraim membrane. Basically common sense prevails. Enjoy your arena when completed.

Advertisement