Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do i stand with Argos? Their price went up...

Options
  • 04-11-2009 11:41pm

Hey all,

Bought a 1TB external HDD from argos on the 30/3/09 and it has unfortunately passed away yesterday :( (taking 500GB of my data with it, the bastard! :mad:)

I looked after it, it's still in perfect condition physically, the box, receipt etc. all in fine order.

Argos currently have one in stock in the store I'll be dealing with and I have reserved it (just in case).

However, my question relates to the cost of the item.

When I bought it, it was €125. They changed over catalogue since then, and it's now €160. Will they expect me to pay the difference?

I'm half expecting them to tell me I'll have to pay the difference (which there is not a hope in hell of me doing) and in the event that they do such, is there anything I can do to push them into a refund instead?

I'm hoping for a nice clean and easy straight replacement, but knowing my luck... :(

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I doubt it, but even if they do, just take your money and run. You'll find better and higher capacity drives online anyway.

Well if they do offer me a refund (which I'll obviously be pushing for), is there any way I can try to get it in cash off them? or will I have to settle for Argos vouchers?

Is it even likely I'd be offered a refund so much time later? (it's about 7 months old)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well if they do offer me a refund (which I'll obviously be pushing for), is there any way I can try to get it in cash off them? or will I have to settle for Argos vouchers?

Is it even likely I'd be offered a refund so much time later? (it's about 7 months old)...

I've often had no problems getting a cash refund from Argos, even months making the purchase. They're usually pretty good.

You should try and get cash back. €125 is too much for a 1TB drive, €160 is just taking the piss. You'd get one on Komplett for about €90 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

jor el wrote: »
    I've often had no problems getting a cash refund from Argos, even months making the purchase. They're usually pretty good.

You should try and get cash back. €125 is too much for a 1TB drive, €160 is just taking the piss. You'd get one on Komplett for about €90 delivered.

They'll probably offer an exchange for the new drive, even though the price has gone up. They are unlikely to offer a cash refund after over 7 months.

You can get a 1TB drive in Easons for 89euro

Yeah, I'm aware that a cash refund would be hugely unlikely (though obviously favourable, as Elara have the same exact HDD for €90 or thereabouts) but if I can get a straight swap I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

I had a power washer from argos die on me last month , the price had gone up by €40 and they gave me a new one without any extra money changing hands , and the guarentee for the replacment started on the day it was replaced which was handy as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bought a 1TB external HDD from argos on the 30/3/09 and it has unfortunately passed away yesterday :( (taking 500GB of my data with it, the bastard! :mad:)
    What make is it, and how did it die? Clicking, or something else?
    When I bought it, it was €125. They changed over catalogue since then, and it's now €160. Will they expect me to pay the difference?
    Doesn't matter. If it went cheaper, do you think they'd pay you the difference? I think not. If within 12 months, they can replace, repair, or refund. As the hard-drive is one of those parts which there is no point in repairing (most of the time), and most companies just replace it.

the_syco wrote: »
    What make is it, and how did it die? Clicking, or something else?

It's this one:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6757852/Trail/searchtext%3E1TB.htm

"Buffalo 1TB JustStore".

I don't know how it died. I kept getting "Windows needs to check this disk for consistency" messages, for about two days before hand, but it always said it was OK at the end.

Then one day i tried to access the HDD and it gave me an error saying that the "master file table" is corrupt and unreadable. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You dont have to accept vouchers as a refund, because thats technically not a refund. If you are getting money back though, they usually insist its in the same format you gave it to them, ie refund to laser etc.

Oryx wrote: »
    You dont have to accept vouchers as a refund, because thats technically not a refund.

That's what I was thinking, too.

Does anyone know if there is there anything in Irish consumer law or anything that I could quote to them to try and get them to give me real money (I paid in cash)?

I know if I look for a refund they'll merely tell me it's their Store Policy to only give out vouchers, but Argos vouchers worth €125 are worthless to me, as they're not enough to buy me another 1TB from their store and they've nothing else I want anyway. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

They are obliged to give you repair, replacement or refund [not vouchers]. If one of those three can't be agreed between you and them, a court can decide. A refund is ultimately cash. Whether it's cash in your hand, cash in your laser or cash in your credit card is irrelevant. Legally they cannot force you to take store credit as a refund.

You're warranty is for up to 6 years. The actual duration is unknown. A court can decide on a case by case basis. My main point is that standard one year warranty is wrong in law.

RangeR wrote: »
    They are obliged to give you repair, replacement or refund [not vouchers]. If one of those three can't be agreed between you and them, a court can decide. A refund is ultimately cash. Whether it's cash in your hand, cash in your laser or cash in your credit card is irrelevant. Legally they cannot force you to take store credit as a refund.

You're warranty is for up to 6 years. The actual duration is unknown. A court can decide on a case by case basis. My main point is that standard one year warranty is wrong in law.

Well It's under a year old anyway, so i'm within the waranty time anyway.

Thing is, i rule out repair staright away, because due to the nature of the product (external hard drive), i think a repair is a little unlikely to do much good.

A replacement I rule out too, because they don't have any more of the same in stock, and I'm not paying their prices for a more expensive 1TB Drive.

Which only leaves refund from what I can see :confused: And I've been told before (a while ago, admittedly) that once a product is older than 30 days old, they will only give you vouchers as a form of refund, but I believe that i'm entitled to cash.

Will have to argue my point I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Thing is, i rule out repair staright away, because due to the nature of the product (external hard drive), i think a repair is a little unlikely to do much good.

A replacement I rule out too, because they don't have any more of the same in stock, and I'm not paying their prices for a more expensive 1TB Drive.

It's not your choice. They have to give you one of the three options, but they choose.

They probably won't repair it though. That costs more than a new one would cost.

If they don't have the same size in stock I'm assuming they'll offer you the next available model. If they tried to charge for the price diffeence then they're not offering a replacement, so just say I'll take a replacement with no extra cost (your right) or a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Buffalo 1TB JustStore".
    I'm led to believe that they use decent drives in them, but not sure.
    I don't know how it died. I kept getting "Windows needs to check this disk for consistency" messages, for about two days before hand, but it always said it was OK at the end.

Then one day i tried to access the HDD and it gave me an error saying that the "master file table" (MFT) is corrupt and unreadable. :(
    If the master file table is corrupted, formatting the drive should fix this. Saying that, it's usually a sign of imminent failure. If there are files on the drive that you want (or need badly), running CHKDSK on the drive may get the MFT back, or if that fails, look into Active@ File Recovery. There's a demo which you run, and if it sees the files you're looking for, you'll need to buy the program to recover them. I've used this in the past, and was able to retrieve CV's, and other documents that I needed, as well as a few other files. http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodiskrecovery/index.html is also usefull.

I don't really want to pay for software that will just put off the inevitable death of my HDD for another day or two, though.

I've a question though, what happens if it says on the Argos receipt that after the 30 days they only refund int he form of Argos vouchers? I don't have the receipt on me, but inthe event that it does say something along those lines, must i then conform to their store policy (as the receipt is essentially the contract between us)?...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I don't really want to pay for software that will just put off the inevitable death of my HDD for another day or two, though.

I've a question though, what happens if it says on the Argos receipt that after the 30 days they only refund int he form of Argos vouchers? I don't have the receipt on me, but inthe event that it does say something along those lines, must i then conform to their store policy (as the receipt is essentially the contract between us)?...
    Store policy cannot override your statutory rights. Repair/replace/refund(not vouchers) is your statutory right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I have returned many things to Argos over the years and never had a problem getting a cash refund when i needed it.
    In fairness i would say they are one of the best to take things back in my experience.

I once even took them in an electric shower that had a burnt motor i think and the inside of the box was black and they gave me a refund without a receit!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The voucher refund that you keep referring to relates to Argos' own goodwill policy i.e. you can return unwanted goods for store credit.

In your case, as the item is defective, you are entitled to a repair/replacement/refund (and refund means money).

If they offer a replacement, then I can't see how they will ask for more money.

Just go in, present them with the drive, state what's happened and let them make an offer. Don't suggest anything yourself. From other posters' experience, Argos are generally pretty good in this department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bh988

if u still have your receipt which i read u do, and u still within one year of the purchase date, argos will do a direct replacement for u, meaning u will not hav to pay the difference at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

had a problem with a wireless adapter about two months ago and they point blank refused to give any replacement as the same one had gone up in price so i would have to pay the extra! they took it off me for 24hour testing which im sure involves one of their store staff trying to fix it and after that they insisted on giving me a gift voucher but i stood my ground insisting on a repair, replacement or a refund as per my statutory rights, got on to the head office in the uk who were no use but tha shop eventually saw sense and gave me a refund.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055703940

Thought I'd just post back here to give some closure.

I brought it back to Argos, and whilst i was initially gonna try and screw them into a refund, decided to go the honest and sensible route and just went for an exchange.

Was in the shop for less than five minutes and got my exchange with no issues whatsoever. They didn't even mention the price difference.

So yeah, overall, great service.

Advertisement