Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zonda with 8 speed Shimano cassette

Options
  • 04-11-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I've pretty much decided on a set of Campag Zondas. First upgrade on my beginner bike (Lapierre S-Tech 200) with a view to upgrading whole bike in a year or so. Problem is I've got basic Shimano groupset (2200 I think) with 8 speed casette and shifters and derailleur. I'm not going to replace the groupset now - so I want to use 8 speed casette on Zondas and upgrade casette whenever I get a new bike (minus wheels). I need to get new wheels now due to accident providing perfect excuse - so I'm planning to buy from shop rather than waiting for internet delivery. I've found conflicting advice on various forums. Does anyone know if 8 Speed Shimano casette (+ spacers) is compatible with Zonda's? I considered Fulcrum R3's but prefer Zonda price and look - also R3's seem to be 10S compatbile only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As I understand it, this will not work.

Your current Shimano cassette will not fit on the campy hub.

If you got an 8-speed Campy cassette, the offset would be different (fixable with derailleur tweak) but the cassette wouldn't fit on the hub without a great deal of messing about.

A 9/10sp Campy cassette would obviously fit but you'd never get the indexing to work properly since the spacing is different.

Perhaps you could get Zondas with Shimano cassette compatibility, but I don't know if the spines the same for 8sp Sora and 9/10 speed stuff, and I assume you're intending for your next bike to be Campy, so that'll cause issues in the future.

Maybe Marchisio offers a solution, but it sounds like your Zondas would end up as expensive wall art until you buy that new bike.

edit: for what it's worth, I think the spoke pattern on Zondas is a classic case of form over function.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think Shimano use the same freehub for 8/9/10 now, there was a period where they had extended splines for 10 but I think that is no more. as long as you get a Shimano freehub with the Zondas or course. Confirm with the seller.

blorg wrote: »
    I think Shimano use the same freehub for 8/9/10 now, there was a period where they had extended splines for 10 but I think that is no more. as long as you get a Shimano freehub with the Zondas or course. Confirm with the seller.

Yes, Sheldon says

Note: "Shimano 8- and 9- and 10-speed cassettes/hubs are fully interchangeable for wheels with steel Freehub bodies."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Lumen wrote: »
    edit: for what it's worth, I think the spoke pattern on Zondas is a classic case of form over function.
    +1 on that Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

Thanks all. Zondas come either compag or shimano compatible (I presume this means with different freehubs) - So if Sheldon is right I should be grand. I'm going to bike shop tomorrow so will let you know.
    On form over function - I like the form and have heard nothing but good things about performance. Price is nice too.
    Anyone used Michelin Pro3 Light tyre in Irish winter?

• Advertisement

Anyone used Michelin Pro3 Light tyre in Irish winter?
    I haven't, but it doesn't sound like a great idea, they sound like a full-on race tyre of the sort you might stick on only for a hill climb on good quality roads, most people in this country would not even race on these ultra-light tyres never mind winter training.

According to here the Pro3 Light is basically the Pro3 Race with the puncture protection belt taken out to save a few grams. Doesn't sound like a good choice for winter to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Like blorg, I wouldn't, especially not for winter training.

On form over function - I like the form and have heard nothing but good things about performance.

There's a reason normal wheels have the spokes distributed evenly - it's a fundamentally strong design. The Zonda spoke pattern is theoretically poor. As I understand it, it's essentially a paired spoke design which will in theory send the wheel very out of true if you break a spoke, and will be less stiff than a traditionally spoked wheel.

However, I don't doubt that it's possible to engineer around these problems, or that Campag has some technical justification for using this design. Maybe you'll never break a spoke, and maybe the wheel is plenty stuff enough. And I have no personal experience. Just saying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

What if we agree that part of the function of a wheel is to be beautiful? In that regard the triple spoke layout is extremely functional.

sorry, I'm not helping am I? as you were.

The idea with paired spokes is a way to reduce the number of spokes to reduce weight and increase aerodynamics. Basically if you have a lightweight rim and spoke it evenly, as alternating spokes are pulling in a different directions the rim will become wavy going in one direction then the next between the spokes. If you pair the spokes this problem goes away as you have these forces balanced in a small area.

For what its worth I have had entry level Bontrager wheels of paired spoke design and they have been among the strongest wheels I have ever used. They have NEVER needed truing which is not something I can say of any other wheelset I have used including ones far more expensive, both strange factory jobs and more traditional lacings. I think they can work, the key is that if they DO fail in the field the rim will deform completely and the bike will be unrideable.

What the point of the Campagnolo three-spoke thing is I have no idea. I imagine they have double the spokes on the drive side so the same idea except with 1 spoke matched up with 2.

I think the Campagnolo spoking pattern looks like absolute muck myself and would go Fulcrums any day, but aesthetics are a personal thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Campag and it's subsidiary Fulcrum both design their rear wheels along the same principle, which is having a 2:1 ratio of spokes on the driveside versus non-driveside, which it says compensates for the greater level of stress on the driveside. I'm sold enough on this. Why Campag decides to group the spokes in sections of 3 on its own wheels though is a bit of a mystery to me, but hey, it looks good.

Anyway, I've used a few sets of Campag wheels and I find them to be very sturdy, especially considering I'm such a big guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I have Zondas on my bike, with a Shimano 10 speed cassette. I've done about 1500 -2000 km on it without any issue and I know of other guys who've got them and done a lot more km's than me (20,000km + in one case :eek:) )without even needing trueing .

They are a strong wheel (and as other people have pointed out they're also really pretty).

I believe that the Shimano hub will take 8/9/10 speed cassettes without any bother, so can't see you having any problems. Just buy them and enjoy ;).

Can't help you with the tyres though.

Well I got the Zondas this morning. No problem having Shimano freehub fitted - compatible with 8/9/10 speed as per Sheldon. Went for the Continental Grand Prix 4000 tyres. Can wait to try them out over the weekend. I'll let you know how they go.:D

Well, tried them this morning. Great day for a spin. Did an 80 km loop in Kildare. In comparison to my previous Mavic Mach 1's they seemed really smooth, rolled well and felt noticeably lighter. Nice smooth sound to. (apologies for the non-technical assessment). I was bit nervous on a few greasy corners with new tyres but no problems to report. Only time will tell I guess but so far so good.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Glad they worked out for you. I'm still loving mine.

Don't worry about the 'non-technical' assessment. You just need to learn a few words to drop into everyday conversation.

Instead of saying 'they rolled well' you can say ' the rolling coefficient of friction was very low' or instead of 'felt lighter' say ' the rotational inertia was significantly lower due to the reduced mass of the rim'.

That's all everybody else does. It's easy really, you'll soon get the hang of it.:D

(sorry I must be feeling giddy due to lack of sleep or something).

Advertisement