Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patton Flyer (mod warning post #404) SEE POST #659 ALSO

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The whole Patton is cheaper argument is flawed, as posted earlier

Fare Category 2010 Patton 2010 Aircoach 2012 Aircoach 2012 AC Online
    Adult Single €8.00 €8.00 €9.00 €8.00
    Adult Return €16.00 €14.00 €15.00 €14.00
    Child Single €8.00 €2.50 €3.00 €2.50
    Child Return €16.00 €5.00 €6.00 €5.00
    Staff Single €8.00 €3.50 €4.00 NA
    Staff Return €16.00 €7.00 €7.50 NA
    Free Pass €8.00 €0.00 €0.00 €0.00

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The Patton Flyer may well return soon as Aircoach raises it's prices start on Monday.

I'm just curious how other Dalkey residents feel aobut the prospect?

Has he got a licence to operate a route this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

The Patton Flyer may well return soon as Aircoach raises it's prices start on Monday.

What is it about the Patton Flyer that gets you so worked up? Why do you keep posting about this phoenix rising from the flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

As a fellow Dalkey resident, I'm okay with it. At the end of the day, Aircoach are pairing back their services in response to the lack of demand for a half hourly service between 2 and 8 in the morning. This is completely understandable. They are still operating on the hour, 24 hours a day.

You still appear to be anti-multinational organization given that you are clearly reveling at this very minute cut back in service. I really thought that this can of worms had been sealed a long time ago. But alas, the simple-minded xenophobia continues. So very very sad! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

two chances of that: none and none

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jacquesbernis

No chance I'd say, it was a great service but we can't have private companies taking on the status quo. I have found the Aircoach punctuality has gone down hill since they got a free run at it. Or maybe I'm paranoid too!

Maybe due to the effect of extending all departures of Killiney which AFAIK happened a few months after the Aircoach service started.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Unsurprisingly every bus company in the land has been increasing fares recently, so this is no different.

I don't see this as any big issue - the service changes merely reflect the fact that less people are passing through Dublin Airport.

Glad to see you haven't lost your anti-Aircoach bias.

Well if, let's just say for talk's sake in a hypothetical situation, that Aircoach were to cease trading, then it is possible he could return no?

Clearly trading must be difficult, and the cut back of service and price rises seem to re-enforce that. It would be interesitng if anyone has seen their latest accounts?

Then the people of Dalkey will get what they always wanted.

Honestly - since when do you represent the people of Dalkey, it's becoming quite clear that you have some kind of grudge against Aircoach - why don't you let us all in on what it actually is?

In any case can you really see Aircoach closing up? If they were to go south so to speak in the future, I can imagine that the most likely way of doing that would be for First to sell up and someone else would take charge so I can't see any way for Trevor to come back in.

As noted in the other thread - trading conditions are difficult for everyone. As we have seen with other operators, changes and fare rises are unfortunately a side effect of less passengers = less revenue and expensive fuel = higher costs.

Indeed it is, but so far all you have only posted are suggestions/rumours that their finances are not good, rather than posting statements of fact.

From what I can see looking at your posting history a significant number of the posts were exactly the same, posting suggestions and rumours.

I have no bias in favour of/against Aircoach, other than supporting them as the licence holder vs Patton's unlicensed operation to/from Dalkey.

If, however, you have material that is factual and can be backed up then I wouldn't be making the statement that I did. But to date you have not posted any of it. Is it any wonder, consequently, that I suggested that you have a bias against them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

Go and check out cro.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Go and check out cro.ie

Why don't you? No-one else is making statements one way or another, except you. If you state facts, have the guts to back them up.

Go and check out cro.ie

For goodness sakes, how do you expect to be taken seriously by posts such as this?

I have better things to be doing with my time. If you have taken the time to obtain the information why not simply post it here, rather than making childish posts such as this?

Even if they did make a loss, you do realise that if they made a profit in the last 4-5 years prior to this, then that would build up things known as CASH RESERVES. You know, as much as you would like to think it, one loss, if there even is one, doesn't mean the end of a company that has been profitable for several years. It just means that trading may be difficult and the cash reserves may be required to guide them through a time in which is difficult to trade in until conditions improve or the business can make changes to minimize it's impact.

Aircoach have changed the fares and frequency of some routes in order to try and offset some of the factors which is making business difficult. That is what any business should do rather than plodding on regardless and eating up cash at a rapid rate. Whilst treading may be tough now, as the economy improves, the number of people traveling will slowly increase, improving conditions for business. Until then the directors have to do what they can to limit the effect the environment has on the business, something they seem to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DalkeyResident

<deleted>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

devnull wrote: »
    Even if they did make a loss, you do realise that if they made a profit in the last 4-5 years prior to this, then that would build up things known as CASH RESERVES. You know, as much as you would like to think it, one loss, if there even is one, doesn't mean the end of a company that has been profitable for several years.
    Case in point: Luas just dipped into theirs to cover their 2011 losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Alternatively they could cut the salaries of the management, get rid of the additional layers and save money that way rather than taking it out on the public. Cut fares, hike prices, the same trick every time, never any innovation.

In any case if they do disappear or the British company sell out to an Irish company I think that would be the best for all involved especially if they part with the management stucture which seems to have connection with the British. I'd be surprised if they did not send staff over to run the operation from the UK or advise them, which normally would be taken by people over here.

Have you any proof to back up any of your preposterous claims or statements?

In any case if they do disappear or the British company sell out to an Irish company I think that would be the best for all involved especially if they part with the management stucture which seems to have connection with the British. I'd be surprised if they did not send staff over to run the operation from the UK or advise them, which normally would be taken by people over here.

Would you ever stop with your racist bullsh1t. You don't like the foreigners, we bloody get it.

This is a transport forum, not a small-minded xenophobic whinging forum.

Get off your soapbox.

Alternatively they could cut the salaries of the management, get rid of the additional layers and save money that way rather than taking it out on the public. Cut fares, hike prices, the same trick every time, never any innovation.

What exactly do you expect them to do? Their primary business is that they transport people to and from the airport. It's not like they can diverse out into any other areas that easy as their licenses only allow them to pick up and drop off at the airport, airport traffic drops will always hit an operator which is in the airport business.

What makes you think that the management are getting high salaries there? I would be very surprised if they were. Of course you have no evidence to back this up, and just like dub_commuter are posting rumour and opinion and speculation as fact.

Yet once again, you cannot back up your claims. Plus I'd be surprised if it at least one person in the parent company didn't have some kind of input to the operations here, after all, believe it or not, they did spend their money on the company and invest in it. It's kinda normal for companies to do such a thing to their subsidiaries it doesn't mean they are totally ran by people from another country.

This post pretty much confirms that you are anti-British! If the government favor multinationals as you so claim, why do Dunnes Stores have so many outlets nationwide?

More often than not, I find BOTH, multinationals and large scale Irish businesses more professional due to their robust and defined nature. This is due in part to the induction and customer service training which ensures that the customer will be respected by the staff. While a lot of small Irish businesses are well managed, I frequently see other ones get away with being rude to customers because they are either run by snobs or they have no accountability or induction in place. If the latter is the case, I will favor the larger corporation any day of the week.:p

As to your anti-British rant. My advice to you is "Shut the fcuk up!":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DalkeyResident

Post Deleted

Well what a search shows me is that recently he may have been appointed to the board of First companies in the UK. So clearly he must have been doing something right whilst he has been at Aircoach despite the fact your and dub_commuter's continued slamming of the operation.

It also turns on the head your statement about Irish people's jobs being taken by English people. It seems that Irish people who perform well are progressing within the overall company, showing that not only are Irish people welcome, but they are being given chances to progress their career.

Now I think that pretty much answers your question and closes the book on your theory, so do us all the favour and start living in the real world.

Not sure what he was going on about, but I read somewhere that if you Google Allen Parker, the Aircoach MD, you'll find he is now working for First in the UK as well as Aircoach.

Congrats to him on his promotion, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

The whole Patton is cheaper argument is flawed, as posted earlier

Fare Category 2010 Patton 2010 Aircoach 2012 Aircoach 2012 AC Online
    Adult Single €8.00 €8.00 €9.00 €8.00
    Adult Return €16.00 €14.00 €15.00 €14.00
    Child Single €8.00 €2.50 €3.00 €2.50
    Child Return €16.00 €5.00 €6.00 €5.00
    Staff Single €8.00 €3.50 €4.00 NA
    Staff Return €16.00 €7.00 €7.50 NA
    Free Pass €8.00 €0.00 €0.00 €0.00

Good news that you needn't pay more, as long as you switch to booking online beforehand. If anything, should speed the service up a little with fewer passengers paying the driver.

We've still got our 24 hour service and I suspect in most cases, it's still cheaper and more relaxing than driving to the airport.

I have noticed over the last month that Aircoach are using three separate buses to operate the Dalkey/Killiney route. These are:
    • Volvo Plaxton Panther 2011:

6124736662_0af9366a8c_z.jpg
    • Scania Irizar Century 2004:

4541603430_b505d31ece_z.jpg
    • Setra S415HD 2004:

6261102335_ae64d7ec6e_z.jpg

There have been some changes to vehicle alignment in the past few weeks since the timetable changes from what I have seen.

Basically what has happened is that the three 49 seat Scania Century's which have lived on the Cork route for years have been removed from the route because of increasing loadings and people being turned away. The Panther also has less seats as it has a toilet so this has been removed also.

They've been replaced on the Cork route by tri-axle 53 seat Jonckheere coaches which have come off the Ballsbridge/Leopardstown route and others freed up by the Greystones cut backs along with the Scania PB which was always on this route to give extra capacity and to put the newest vehicles on the newest services.

In turn, some of the Setra's from the Dalkey and Ballinteer routes have gone on to the Ballsbridge/Leopardstown route replacing the tri-axle's which are now operating on the Cork Route, although a small number still remain on these city centre routes.

The three Scania centurys have then replaced the displaced Setra's on the Ballinteer and Dalkey routes, presumably as they want to keep their highest spec vehicles on the City routes where there is competition from Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The three Scania centurys have then replaced the displaced Setra's on the Ballinteer and Dalkey routes, presumably as they want to keep their highest spec vehicles on the City routes where there is competition from Dublin Bus.

I believe the Dublin Bus-Aircoach competition issue is somewhat overstated.

The clue lies in the name Aircoach vs Dublin Bus'

It's been my experience that our two customer groupings are not at all alike,which can also be said of the routings.

The Aircoach customer was and remains a higher-end beast,who appreciates the coach aspect of the service.

Items such as Leather Seating,Air Conditioning,Stowed Luggage, Porterage and through routing are what set Aircoach apart from the public Bus service.

Humping one's own luggage around and travelling on what is obviously a double-deck BUS has it's own more cost-conscious customer.

The real competition faced by Aircoach is the Taxi trade and this is where a long running war of attrition continues to be fought on Dublins roads and streets.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what has any of this got to do with the patton flyer:confused:

what has any of this got to do with the patton flyer:confused:

True Cookie_Monster. However, to be fair, it is a thread which started off about The Patton Flyer and slowly evolved into a thread about The Aircoach (Dalkey/Killiney Route that is;)). And yes, I started the thread off at a time when I was naive about the whole route licensing system. Nevertheless, given that The Patton Flyer has been gone for a year and a half at this stage, I don't see how the thread title is relevant to the current scope of the discussion. Therefore, I would recommend a change in thread title or indeed, closure of the thread.

• Advertisement

Sorry to dig this up again, but does anyone know anything about Trevor Patton's new venture.

He has set up a company called
    T.P.F. Cabs and Buses Limited

They appear to be a taxi and bus company.

Advertisement