Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 on a solid state drive good idea?

• 05-11-2009 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Anyone out there using a ssd for their OS ?
    If so any issues ?
    Good or bad idea ?
    Whats the best way to put the OS onto the drive, can you clone the OS and entire contents of existing normal hard drive onto a solid state drive and be ready to go that way .
    OR better to do clean Install?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yes, Win7 on an SSD is a good idea. It knows when its running on an SSD and will optimise itself for it. Always better to do a clean install too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You may have to format the drive in XP and set up the BIOS to SATA as IDE Compatibility mode instead of ACHI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ok thanks guys one more quick question .
    How do i know what version of sata my motherboard uses
    all of the ssd i see use Sata 300
    I looked on the mobo manufacturers website and cant see any thing its a msi p45 platnium all it says is sata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It will be backwards compatible with older SATA standards anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Being using one since the launch of windows 7 its the Intel SSD 160G

this is were I got it
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1801684&productID=S6868198

Its the best upgrade I have ever done windows 7 install around 12 Minutes
    boot up really fast 40 seconds with virus scan all program load in ms
    Microsoft word 2007 load less then 1 second
    no noisy clicking no defrag of drive shutdown 5 seconds
    its great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement