Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help,...salvaged disk access ?

• 05-11-2009 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a system disk I managed to salvage from my daughters old laptop, it's a 40gb windows xp drive. she has a lot of files on it she needs for her leaving cert so I got my hands on a micro ide to usb adaptor & connected it to my own pc,..so far so good,..the problem is that I can't access any of the files due to access permissions & such, I can see them but I can't open, copy, or move them,..I reckon it's because her old laptop was password protected & these attributes have been assigned to the disk & won't let me access any of the files,...is there a way around this ????
    Thanks in advance.
    **UPDATE**
    sorted it out, I downloaded KONPPIX, it's a bootable linux OS, you burn the ISO file to cd & boot from it, once booted it gives you access to all drives attached to your computer & whats more it ignores all windows security attributes associated with files & folders & so allowing you to do what want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Linux saves the day once more !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ricjoe

I THINK YOU NEED to take ownership of the folders which have the data,eg word files pics etc and individual files if they are scattered in a lot of directorys,
    see here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421 .I think he means download linux iso eg MINT linux or ubuntu ,burn linux boot cd ,boot from cd ,copy over files to drive c:/.
    SEE here http://www.ntfs.com/ active boot disk demo, its a bootable cd that loads windows mini vista os into ram allows you to copy files from any fat32 or ntfs hardrive.ONto drive c : of your pc.
    WHEN my pals pc crashed i used active bootdisk demo to copy over files,
    that should negate the problem of acessing the data.
    You can search for files by file extension eg .docm or .txt .docx if you wanna make sure to find them all.
    THAT PROG allows you to reset the administrator password and user account on any windows hardrive if you wish to gain acess to any file or folder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ricjoe

Ok i just read the update.

Advertisement