Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Fortress 2

Options
  • 05-11-2009 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭

Do may people here still play it?

I recently got into it, despite not being great at it, it is a very good game.

With it popping up for so cheap at times (was only €2.50 at stages the weekend gone past) there really isn't any excuse for someone who likes online FPS to give it a go.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's still a fairly good community for this, try over on the Half-Life forum
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=15

If you add the users names to your friends in Steam, you can see when people are playing and just join in with them

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Biggest turn off for me is right now the balance is askew. Soldiers Demos and Engineers are still waiting on Updates. I wish they'd hurry up and do them.

The other thing was it seemed like the first few class packs were great then all throughout 09' they start to get a bit silly - Taking suggestions from the community has been a 2-edged sword. That started with the Heavy. Some of them are great ideas (Natascha, the Force a Nature, the Hunstmen) and others have been just - bad. It was all downhill from the Sandvich. Dont get me on about the Jar of Urine either.

Who knows though. Once they finally get it all done it might feel like a Whole game again. Playing TF2.5b is just not that appealing right now though. And selling the game for 2.50 screams of a nosediving community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Overheal wrote: »
    Biggest turn off for me is right now the balance is askew. Soldiers Demos and Engineers are still waiting on Updates. I wish they'd hurry up and do them.

The other thing was it seemed like the first few class packs were great then all throughout 09' they start to get a bit silly - Taking suggestions from the community has been a 2-edged sword. That started with the Heavy. Some of them are great ideas (Natascha, the Force a Nature, the Hunstmen) and others have been just - bad. It was all downhill from the Sandvich. Dont get me on about the Jar of Urine either.

Who knows though. Once they finally get it all done it might feel like a Whole game again. Playing TF2.5b is just not that appealing right now though. And selling the game for 2.50 screams of a nosediving community.
    TF2 is not meant to be realistic FPS were you play with real weapons. Hint: It's cartoon. I say it took them long enough to come up with ideas such as the sandvich and jarate. If you want a 100% serious 100% bland game, try CS:S.

CutzEr wrote: »
    TF2 is not meant to be realistic FPS were you play with real weapons. Hint: It's cartoon. I say it took them long enough to come up with ideas such as the sandvich and jarate. If you want a 100% serious 100% bland game, try CS:S.
    I have no problem with weapons being funny like boxing gloves and hadoken kills. Its that these weapons, gameplay wise, are just awful. The sandwhich being one example of a highly situational device. but give me a choice between a flaregun and I actually have to give it some thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

The sandvich is great to have. I nearly always use the sandvich intead of the shotgun with when playing heavy no need to go looking for health packs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have no problem with weapons being funny like boxing gloves and hadoken kills. Its that these weapons, gameplay wise, are just awful. The sandwhich being one example of a highly situational device. but give me a choice between a flaregun and I actually have to give it some thought.
    I don't know, I think items like the Sanvich or Jarate have a good balance to them; they're very situational, no question, but intended to counter a known weakness in that class - that they also take away a weapon from the class helps. Plus the sandvich usually gets me some easy kills ;)

If anything it has been the direct weapon replacements that have driven me up the wall. The sniper's bow & Scouts Force-of-Nature have been painful to play against, particularly that damnable bow. I hate that fscking thing, it's too cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Payload makes the game tbh :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the razorback was the best thing to happen to the game imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

No way !

Heavys Boxing gloves...they are Epic !

It only ever happened twice to me...but if you ever manage to kill someone..and there is a bunch of enemys...and they all nearly die in 1 hit, cause every other hit is a crit for 10 secs...its Hillarious :D:) ...i think i boxed about 7 people to death in a row :D:)

I then put down my mouse and keyboard, turned off my pc, and retired from TF2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Yeah I play the game the whole time OP, it's unreal!

Yeah I agree with what some of you guys are saying about needing the upgrades, but valve playtest everything into the ground, which is working so far IMHO.

and also thank got they released the KOTH maps, cause the areana mode was just plain balls!

What servers do you guys play on? I normally stick to the PC Gamer UK server or the uberium public server.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

killing people with taunts is where you get the most fun.....

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I play on pcgamer server the odd time, but my favourite are the ucks servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

How is the game unbalanced?

Grimebox wrote: »
    How is the game unbalanced?
    Soldiers Demos and Engineers are still waiting on Updates. I wish they'd hurry up and do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I bought the game for a tenner from the shop there a few months ago. It actually had the CD Key in the display case and it wasn't stolen. The Cd was scratched to bits too. But it worked.

I haven't played it much at all. The first time I started it up I found this Karaoke server where an audio clip would play and the words would come up on the screen and people would use their headsets and croon along. That was ****ing epic. Never did manage to save that server IP, and you know steam with server favorites, there one minute....

Good game though. The graphics/style and the netcode really impressed me. I might give it a whirl soon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

1 <3 TF2.

My steam name is theusual5uspect. Add me to your friends list OP if you want to play a few games.

As regards balance, it's still pretty good. I play soldier most and I do quite alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

plan on geting this of steam soon enough, looks like a decent game

Mister Man wrote: »
    plan on geting this of steam soon enough, looks like a decent game

What are you waiting for!? Go buy now! CONSUME!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Lol im still kinda thinking of just saving money and building a gaming PC and keeping my laptop for normal use (most powerfull normal usr laptop ever lol) i really cant get the hang of PC gaming, can someone recommend a good keyboard and mouse for gaming?

Mister Man wrote: »
    can someone recommend a good keyboard and mouse for gaming?

Well I use a Logitech G15 Keyboard, I really like the keys on it (handy little screen at the top allows me to handle iTunes from inside a game + do other things) and for PC gaming the simply the best mouse you can get is the Razer Deathadder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I quite enjoy a bit of TF2 (although not much recently), I mainly play Spy as my aim is rubbish and I'm a compulsive liar.

My steam nick is tba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Still play it, its great. Loads of fun.

The sandvich is a great weapon picking up from earlier argument, you just have to use it.

The Razorback is the biggest waste TBH as a spy, I'll just use Ambassador and let the sniper scope then headshot and body shot kills him.

I personally despise the bow because of its hitbox though. Bow snipers just spam corners, if anything ruins the game for me, its this although usually I just find another angle of attack on sniper if he's watching a corner.

So far the best updates have been medic/heavy and the others have been fun but a bit of a mess TBH as they can throw off the balance.

The jarate is a good weapon subsituite IMO as it can really save a team if a pyro is about to charge and the team are about to lose a point. Splash and kill. Problem solved :D

I don't even use the ambassador, and wouldn't swap for it against razorback snipers.

3 revolver shots ANYWHERE and they are dead.

Ok, a distracted sniper who is scoped.

1. You shoot
    They fumble
    2. You shoot again
    They are out of scope and look around and move
    3. You shoot
    They die

All happens in less than 2 seconds, and it rocks. Even if there are multipile snipers (works well on.. ctf_well) you can kill one and then kill the other one. Not as noisy as ambassador.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Soldiers Demos and Engineers are still waiting on Updates. I wish they'd hurry up and do them.

I see you have just rewritten your previous post with an (imo)irrelevant arguement. The fact that some classes have been updated and others haven't has nothing to do with the balance of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It still has a strong online community, currently 16K playing online (higher than L4D). Future content updates also promise that the community will stay active.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't even use the ambassador, and wouldn't swap for it against razorback snipers.

3 revolver shots ANYWHERE and they are dead.

Ok, a distracted sniper who is scoped.

1. You shoot
    They fumble
    2. You shoot again
    They are out of scope and look around and move
    3. You shoot
    They die

All happens in less than 2 seconds, and it rocks. Even if there are multipile snipers (works well on.. ctf_well) you can kill one and then kill the other one. Not as noisy as ambassador.

The ambassador is much better for taking down snipers who are much more aware of their immediate area. I have found the problem the revolver is that it's only accurate for the first shot and outside of short-medish range, it's inaccurate and they have a good chance to get away. Aware snipers usually have headphones and can hear you approaching especially if you uncloak nearby. Hence, the ambassador works better for at least dealing a large bit of damage at range.

Davidius wrote: »
    The ambassador is much better for taking down snipers who are much more aware of their immediate area. I have found the problem the revolver is that it's only accurate for the first shot and outside of short-medish range, it's inaccurate and they have a good chance to get away. Aware snipers usually have headphones and can hear you approaching especially if you uncloak nearby. Hence, the ambassador works better for at least dealing a large bit of damage at range.
    I wouldn't switch to the ambassador anyways, I use the revolver very often, even for taking down buildings from semi far away like the top of well down to the spawns.. Work's great.

Also, I don't ever think I've had a sniper kill me while I was killing them using the revolver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I wouldn't switch to the ambassador anyways, I use the revolver very often, even for taking down buildings from semi far away like the top of well down to the spawns.. Work's great.

Also, I don't ever think I've had a sniper kill me while I was killing them using the revolver.

Your playing on the wrong servers so :P

Any decent sniper knows how to deal with spies :(

lucky if you can get the shots in especially if overhealed if you don't have the ambassador. Either they'll kill you with melee or they will run out of their cover and risk whatever is out there since your just going to kill them anyway if they stay so staying far from melee isn't always an option and you won't get the hits in with the standard revolver all the time.

I mix it up but I only play spy occasionally. I play a bit of everything, playing spy makes spy checking easier when you play pyro :D

Must say I don't play as spy very much but the good ole revolver looks to be the best to me. it's powerful and still has the chance of a crit on a normal shot. + a faster acurate firing rate if I'm not mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That's the thing, the Ambassador is a one shot wonder. The revolver is better for the double or triple tap.

Advertisement