Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp Room In Georgian House

Options
  • 05-11-2009 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi There,
    My room in Rathmines gets a bit damp in this weather. I have single glazing etc. How do I undamp a damp room without leaving a heater on all the time? Ive been leaving the window open a crack which seems to undamp it a bit. However I think there might be something im missing? Should I close the window fully at night and just leave it open during the day.

Im also trying to avoid leaving damp clothes and cups of liquid lying around in case they add to the problem. Ive also started leaving a candle burning quite a lot.

Add advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,037 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

jogoeire wrote: »
    Hi There,
    I have single glazing

SG = PITA;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

i dont see what a wheat flatbread will do for the OP . I think he may be better off with a dehumidifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jogoeire

Hi Guys. Well theres no way the landlord will change the windows. I was hoping for some old schools tactics the dehumidify the room. Like leaving a sheep in there during the day or something like that. (no sheep in rathmines)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A dehumidifier, without a doubt. We don't have a damp Georgian anything and our Mitsubishi pulls about 4-5 litres out of the air in the house per day.

You can use a dehumidifier to dry clothes in a room, rather than use a dryer, and according to the manual, doing so will use a lot less electricity than a dryer would. Not as quick but have used it for this on occasion and it works a treat.

I only mention this as an example of how effectively they can pull moisture from anything wet in a room.

Advertisement