Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ableton Users: Max4Live Public Beta is out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

I think I stand for everyone here when i say:

Woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

more of a pd man meself, I'll give it a try though.

thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

hubiedubie wrote: »
    This should add a whole new world of fun to Ableton Live:

http://www.cycling74.com/downloads/maxforlive

your right it "should" add a whole new world of creativity to ableton but it wont.

sorry,i dont see the hype.it allows people to make sub par recreations of synths and effects that are available commercially elsewhere.

this will just serve as another distraction to the live users out there.
    anyone who uses ableton as there daw to make complete tracks wont be bothered by this as they should have all they need in there arsenal.

this will be as big a waste of time as looping clips in live is already

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

thats pretty narrowminded sean. anyone who's used max/msp or pd before will vouch for the fact that the possibilities in creating new and original approaches to synths/samplers/effects/dsp in general are endless. max gives so many options in terms of interfacing and processing. another argument would be that in max you can set things up exactly as you want them, just having the features you want laid out in a way that you design.

having a daw that will natively run your max patches is brilliant and will lead to some really interesting live stuff i sure.

ogy wrote: »
    thats pretty narrowminded sean. anyone who's used max/msp or pd before will vouch for the fact that the possibilities in creating new and original approaches to synths/samplers/effects/dsp in general are endless. max gives so many options in terms of interfacing and processing. another argument would be that in max you can set things up exactly as you want them, just having the features you want laid out in a way that you design.

having a daw that will natively run your max patches is brilliant and will lead to some really interesting live stuff i sure.
    i dont think it will offer anything original to be honest.i think whatever you can come up with there will be a synth/effect out there already that can do it.

but thats just me

• Advertisement

sure why even bother making music? surely its all been done at this stage:)

ogy wrote: »
    sure why even bother making music? surely its all been done at this stage:)

thats really not the same as what im saying is it though.

look people can happily noodle around having 8 oscillators on the go if they want.id just much prefer to get the job done.sometimes the best set ups are the simplest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

it'll be like NI reaktor, millions will own it, only a few people will really get into it
    and make something out of it. Likewise with pd and synthedit. All very powerful tools but
    with a steep learning curve, most people will just download other people creations and plumb their audio through them. On a plus side it makes this affordable compared to lashing out for the full max/msp package.

it really is. programs like max add another step in the creative process. a chance to combine processing techniques in new ways, maybe existing techniques/effects in a way that hasn't been combined before, or maybe a new technique altogether. if everyone presumed "its all been done" already there would be no innovation.
    look people can happily noodle around having 8 oscillators on the go if they want

you seem to focus on the additive/subtractive element of synthesis which is just one small part of what max can do. there are many other types of synthesis that can be explored in max. and thats not even the half of it. you could find something new using an existing type of synthesis but by designing a totally new interface (software/hardware) for it, or a new type of effect to process it with, or new ways of treating sampled audio/live audio inputs etc.
    id just much prefer to get the job done.

i get what your saying, you don't feel you need anything more than what ableton/plugins already offer to reach your artistic goals, and thats totally fair enough and im sure you can make great music in this way. but thats very different to your first post, saying that its a waste of time, pointless for anyone, and that all it can do is create "subpar" versions of things that already exist.
    sometimes the best set ups are the simplest.
    absolutely true, theres been amazing music made using simple methods, but theres also been amazing music made using complicated methods, and theres also been ****e made both way:) judge the end results in terms of artistic merit, don't make a "policy decision" as to what your gonna consider good music or not.

as i said i understand that you don't think you've any need for something like max in your setup, but out of interest, sometime your bored or haven't much on, why not download the 30 day demo and try the first 30 or so tutorials. even if you never use it again i bet you'd enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

hmmm. methinks sean isn't too familiar with what max actually is.

For a lot of the big max msp heads this will be very valuable. Don't actually think it's going to get too many ableton people into max (which is unfortunate for Cycling 74 as I think that was their end goal by teaming up with ableton).

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    hmmm. methinks sean isn't too familiar with what max actually is.

For a lot of the big max msp heads this will be very valuable. Don't actually think it's going to get too many ableton people into max (which is unfortunate for Cycling 74 as I think that was their end goal by teaming up with ableton).

ah thats not really it.when i was using ableton exclusively i read up on cycling 74 when it first got announced and have followed the progress of it but i just dont think its gonna catch on to be honest.

ogy im a bit tired and dont feel like replying to the questions you asked but if your excited about it thats good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

seannash wrote: »

look people can happily noodle around having 8 oscillators on the go if they want.id just much prefer to get the job done.sometimes the best set ups are the simplest.
    Max for Live can do whatever the feck you want it to do, that's why a lot of people are so excited about it. Have you seen the step-sequencer patch for the APC and the Launchpad? Looks pretty damn good, and I can imagine people will do more original things with their controllers with max. I think that it will allow a greater amount of freedom - even if people aren't very familiar with programming, it is an understandable (to an extent) interface to play with. If it gets people innovating, and making music they wouldn't normally make, that's exciting to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 thrush

this will enable you to run monome apps from inside ableton right? pretty cool.

Advertisement