Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying gun parts

Options
  • 05-11-2009 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

hi guys.

I've been wondering. If I were to order an action, a barrel, a trigger and a stock from somewhere, none of these would constiture a gun, but together they'd make one. At which point does one need the licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

At all points there Lordapard.They are component parts of a firearm to which you dont have the liscense.If you were buying replacement parts for the mod and make of an already liscensed firearm.... thats a different bucket of fish.Or so is my understanding .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Taken to its extreme you could be asked to licence a sling :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kowloon wrote: »
    Taken to its extreme you could be asked to licence a sling :D.

Not really, a sling is an accessory not a functional,essential part of a firearm.
    :D
    Try firing a rifle without a stock or barrel.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Not really, a sling is an accessory not a functional,essential part of a firearm.
    :D
    Try firing a rifle without a stock or barrel.

Does the legislation actually state 'functional' though?

Well, a rifle without a stock, action, trigger or barrel can not be fired.
    A rifle without a sling....
    The legislation does not mention functional, but it does mention components.
    I would have a hard time trying to describe a sling as being a component part of a firearm.

• Advertisement

I know, but my point is, the legal definitions can be interpreted in ridiculous ways, like that poor fellow being dragged to court for having a collection spent brass a good while back. Thrown out of court, but hardly the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Does the legislation actually state 'functional' though?
    any object—
    (I) manufactured for use as a component in connection with the operation of a firearm, and
    (II) without which it could not function as originally designed,
    A firearm could function without a stock quite easily and even a magazine, but wouldn't function without a barrel, bolt, action etc.
    Kowloon wrote:
    I know, but my point is, the legal definitions can be interpreted in ridiculous ways, like that poor fellow being dragged to court for having a collection spent brass a good while back. Thrown out of court, but hardly the point.
    Well it is the point. The court did not interpret the legal definitions in a ridiculous way. There's also a world of difference between a lad with a collection of brass that he's collecting (like stamps) and another lad with a collection of brass that he's using to manufacture ammunition illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

In the case of buying a "spare barrel" for an exsisiting firearm of same calibre from a firearms dealer does there need to be any other paperwork shown to dealer appart from firearms cert in order to obtain spare barrel?

ranger4 wrote: »
    In the case of buying a "spare barrel" for an exsisiting firearm of same calibre from a firearms dealer does there need to be any other paperwork shown to dealer appart from firearms cert in order to obtain spare barrel?
    The firearms certificate is proof enough that you have a right to purchase the barrel seeing as the calibre will be stated on the cert. It's a bit like an ammo purchase in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

rrpc wrote: »
    The firearms certificate is proof enough that you have a right to purchase the barrel seeing as the calibre will be stated on the cert. It's a bit like an ammo purchase in that way.

So should be able to collect spare barrel with cert and no need to notify anyone of purchaise of spare same cal barrel.

• Advertisement

ranger4 wrote: »
    So should be able to collect spare barrel with cert and no need to notify anyone of purchaise of spare same cal barrel.

Correct, you should be able to rock up with your Cert (if you have one) and collect the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

any object—
    (I) manufactured for use as a component in connection with the operation of a firearm, and
    (II) without which it could not function as originally designed,
    A firearm could function without a stock quite easily and even a magazine, but wouldn't function without a barrel, bolt, action etc.
    Yeah, but don't forget the bit before that quote:
    except where the context otherwise requires, any component part of any article referred to in any of the foregoing paragraphs and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the following articles shall be deemed to be such component parts:

So technically you could argue that a sling was a firearm.
    But you'd be extracting the urine and the judge probably wouldn't appreciate it.

Sparks wrote: »
    Yeah, but don't forget the bit before that quote:
    except where the context otherwise requires...
    So technically you could argue that a sling was a firearm.
    But you'd be extracting the urine and the judge probably wouldn't appreciate it.
    And a sling couldn't be considered a firearm as it is used in other contexts, which is the reason for that qualification.

A magazine could be considered a firearm under that definition as it doesn't have any other context.

What on earth would you use a single-point sling for other than the rifle it bolts into?

19960001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

An airsoft (less than 1 joule)

What on earth would you use a single-point sling for other than the rifle it bolts into?
    I think that one would make a nice fashion accessory :D. Part of it (if you were the right shape) would do a good job of holding your trousers up.

There are plenty of uses for a strap with holes in it, the Christian Brothers were famous for turning haberdashery items to other uses :(

In which case I point out that the bolt of a .303 makes for a wonderful paperweight as well as being a component part :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

19960001.jpg

Could I suggest one fixed to each corner of the bed????:D

Could I suggest one fixed to each corner of the bed????:D
    Not at over 150 sterling each you couldn't!
    (Besides, there's no interior padding on the loop, you'd chafe pretty badly)

Sometimes it's all about the chafing. ;)

I was just making a point that the law is poorly defined.

• Advertisement

Sometimes it's all about the chafing. ;)

I was just making a point that the law is poorly defined.
    That really depends on your point of view and your purpose. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 a4775

i remember asking someone about this before
    this guy has been in the trade years, and he said that you only need a license if there is a serial number on it

for example, lets say you did what a friend of mine did, and crossed his s/a with the car, you would need a new action
    which would mean altering the license because it is a different serial number
    but if the barrels bulged or something, they can be replaced without having to change anything on the license
    same with the stock, the bolt, hammers, forends whatever

to bring a set of barrels or a bolt into the country yourself however would involved getting import licenses and such as those parts do have numbers on them
    and the manufacturer would probably be reluctant to deal with an end user
    so best to just go to your dealer and let him or her handle all the messy business

a4775 wrote: »
    i remember asking someone about this before
    this guy has been in the trade years, and he said that you only need a license if there is a serial number on it
    So how does he explain moderators then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

If ya saw my missus you'd have no problem spending 150 stlng on them. She weighs 35st balled red head no teeth. Im on my 6th set already in 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

So how does he explain moderators then?

A moderator is also considered a firearm even though no serial number is attached. A bit of a joke really. In fact it may also cost you a further 80 eoros to have one shortly.

thedragon wrote: »
    A moderator is also considered a firearm even though no serial number is attached. A bit of a joke really. In fact it may also cost you a further 80 eoros to have one shortly.
    It was a rhetorical question ;)

It will only cost you 80 euro more if you don't apply with your renewal/application/substitution.

Advertisement