Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volunteering at animal shelter?

Options
  • 05-11-2009 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

anyone hear ever volunteered or thinking of volunteering at the limerick animal welfare animal shelter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Yes, I did a couple of Sundays last year.
    It was a case of just driving up there and either mucking out the dog shelter or taking the dogs for a walk.
    Nice way to spend a few hours on a Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

Millie wrote: »
    Yes, I did a couple of Sundays last year.
    It was a case of just driving up there and either mucking out the dog shelter or taking the dogs for a walk.
    Nice way to spend a few hours on a Sunday morning.

Sounds a good idea, I might do it myself. Where is it based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Sanctuary: Moorestwon, Kilfinane, Co Limerick.

Telephone: 061 336740 and 087 6371044

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

That landline number is gone by the wayside now. ;) You'll get the girls at the sanctuary on 063 91110. Best time to ring is between 11am and 3pm, it gets very hectic with feeding and cleaning before and after those times! :p

We always welcome volunteers. It's a good 40 minutes out from Limerick city but well worth the trip. :) Directions etc. on our website

www.limerickanimalwelfare.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

i would really like to volunteer and i have my own car so transport wont be a problem, are any of the animals vicous or do they bite or anything? just wondering like ha

• Advertisement

Don't be silly :D It's very, very, very rare that we would have in a dog that is so aggressive that it's a danger. And that kennel door would be marked "staff only."

Nor will we send you in to "play" with the feral cats. :D

If you love animals you'll have an absolute ball out there, and it will do your heart good to see the good work being done on their behalf.

It is physical work though - you'll be having very well deserved cups of tea on breaks! And it's wet and dirty work often too, so bring wellies and old clothes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TimeonmyHands

I did some voluntary work out there last year and it really is heart warming to see all the good work being done by both staff and volunteers. I ended up bring one of the dogs home with me to live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

well thats good news ill definitely do it so, ill be in touch soon!

whats the normal amount of time that people come out for how many hours like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

hey boomerang,
    just wondering do ye look for people to volunteer in the shop in town do you know?

We do Harpy. If you'd like to help out a few hours, best thing to do is email Rachel at limerickanimalwelfarequeries@gmail.com and she'll fill you in. She only checks the email account every few days so don't worry if she doesn't come back to you straight awaY. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement