Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looks like Rangers FC could be in even more trouble [mod note: read post 1]

• 05-11-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭

mod note: pay close attention to the warning on post 17 here

Seems there was a bit of trouble in their match in Romania at half time. Stewards had to use pepper spray against them and Sky Sports have pics of their fans ripping up seats and throwing them as well as them attacking stewards.

The Chief Executive, Martin Bain, has come out and said that the trouble flared as a result of only two turnstiles being open before the game causing crowd congestion.

UEFA are also thought to be interested in racist singing that cane from Rangers side of the ground, the usual anti-Irish songs were evident as were songs about Gypsies.

Another bad night all round for RFC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I am surprised Bobby it took you this long to post about this! I am I shock, a whole 12 hours since the alledged bad behaviour from the big bad Rangers fans and you are only posting about it now? Did you not have access to your PC last night??! :eek:

It was a bad night for Scottish football and Rangers in so far as the couldn't hold on for the win and bring some bit of credibility back for the SPL....

I wasn't at stadium, neither you were, so how you can comment is beyond me. All though wait a minute, I know exactly why you posted this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Brewster wrote: »

I wasn't at stadium, neither you were, so how you can comment is beyond me. All though wait a minute, I know exactly why you posted this.

I can't quite remember his exact title, but there was a Fan Rep on Sky Sports News last night, at the game, and he admitted the Rangers fans threw seats.

He also stated that there were only 2 turnstiles open, and there may have been misuse of pepper spray before the game, but that is no reason to behave like some Rangers fans did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

IBL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yet another negative rangers thread from BobbySands. Excellent stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The UN are really going to have to get involved and push for sanctions against RFC.

What are the chance they are involved in the Madeleine McCann case too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Here, I happened to not be in downtown Manhattan when the twin towers fell either, so should I not ever be able to comment on September 11th despite researching the news reports.?

I agree that there is too much anti Rangers bias around these parts, but that rationale is ridiculous. The fact remains that Rangers fans went apesh*t last night, and regardless of what their reasons are, behaviour like that can never be justified. (And it's obviously only a minority of fans that acted stupidly, every club in world football has tits like that supporting them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I am surprised Bobby it took you this long to post about this! I am I shock, a whole 12 hours since the alledged bad behaviour from the big bad Rangers fans and you are only posting about it now? Did you not have access to your PC last night??! :eek:

It was a bad night for Scottish football and Rangers in so far as the couldn't hold on for the win and bring some bit of credibility back for the SPL....

It's all over Sky Sports News, youtube and last night Rangers FC released a statement about it. You really claiming it didn't happen?

Mr Alan wrote: »

Yes let's all ignore racism and rioting just because Rangers fans are the perpatrators? They're so hard done by.

I'd comment in the exact same manner if this was Celtic fans acting in this way.

I can't quite remember his exact title, but there was a Fan Rep on Sky Sports News last night, at the game, and he admitted the Rangers fans threw seats.

He also stated that there were only 2 turnstiles open, and there may have been misuse of pepper spray before the game, but that is no reason to behave like some Rangers fans did.

Well its disgusting behaviour for any fan to throw seats I agree, despite the provocation or any spray attacks. I hope Rangers can idendify fans and ban them for life if they caused trouble. Its the attitude of the original poster and deliberate constant negative stories he posts about Rangers fans that annoys me. He doesn't even post positives stories about his own club, rather constant negative stories about his rival set of supporters.

Yes let's all ignore racism and rioting just because Rangers fans are the perpatrators? They're so hard done by.

I don't ignore racism and rioting. I just choose to ignore constant, partisan, point-scoring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The OP is quite right to start a thread on this if he wishes. I am sure a thread like this would have been started regardless what team were accused of these deeds.

• Advertisement

Well its disgusting behaviour for any fan to throw seats I agree, despite the provocation or any spray attacks. I hope Rangers can idendify fans and ban them for life if they caused trouble. Its the attitude of the original poster and deliberate constant negative stories he posts about Rangers fans that annoys me. He doesn't even post positives stories about his own club, rather constant negative stories about his rival set of supporters.

I don't understand... are you now saying it did happen???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

More disgraceful behavior from Rangers fans:rolleyes:

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't ignore racism and rioting. I just choose to ignore constant, partisan, point-scoring.

Next time Celtic fans riot during a match or are caught singing racist songs at a match I'll start a thread condemning them.

Mr Alan wrote: »

How many negative threads about Rangers have I started in the last 4 and a half years on this Board???

To satisfy my own curiosity I've trawled through the amount of threads I've started since March 2005 to see how many threads I started were negative towards Rangers and the answer is 4!

1 of them was a newspaper report on Neil Lennon being physically attacked.

1 was a humorous incident that happened on Coronation Street where Rangers get slagged over what happened in Manchester.

1 was after Maurice Edu got racially abused by his own fans.

and this one is the fourth!!!

So 1 negative thread a year, hardly excessive now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm locking thgis for a very short periodm, I will return to it very shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

This topic can be freely discussed, but make sure you are discussing it, and not the past behaviour of other users or I will be returning to this thread to remove people's access.

You all know better than to indulge in this petty crap, so sort yourselves out or I will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

It really is becoming a huge problem for Rangers tbh, I mean how many more of these incidents can they brush off as ''oh sure every club has one or two idiots supporting them'' its that burying the head in the sand attitude that is feuling the problem, plain and simple RFC have one of the worst reputations and names in European football and UEFA need to act swiftly.

From the Irish Times:

Uefa await report on Rangers game
    Uefa will wait to receive their official delegate’s report later today before deciding what action to take over the supporter unrest which marred last night’s Champions League encounter between Rangers and Unirea Urziceni.

Television pictures showed a number of travelling Rangers fans clashing with Romanian police in the stands while one supporter was seen to rip out a seat during the trouble.

Police used CS gas spray in an effort to disperse Gers fans during what Rangers Supporters Assembly chief Andy Kerr described as a “minor incident”.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain is expected to tell Uefa that he believes poor organisation and over-zealous policing contributed to the trouble, but Uefa’s director of communications Rob Faulkner admitted the reason for the clashes requires further investigation.

“As far as we can establish at the moment it seems there were a number of Rangers supporters who came late into the stadium, and we need to find out why,” Faulkner said.

“Then there was an issue about where they were going to sit as apparently there were banners already placed there, which resulted in the request to remove some banners, which seems to have ended in a clash between stewards and some supporters.

“We’ll wait until we get all the facts in from our official reports and we’ll study those before we decide what to do.”

Rangers chief Bain condemned the “unacceptable” behaviour of some of the Glasgow club’s travelling fans in Bucharest, but was also critical of the shortage of entry access for spectators at the Steaua Stadium.

He claimed a promise that four turnstiles would be open for visiting fans was not kept, causing problems which were compounded, he claimed, by police using CS gas.

When questioned over Bain’s concerns over turnstile access, Faulkner said: “If that’s the case, definitely [we will look at it]. If that’s what had been agreed beforehand... again we’ll have this in the reports.

“If that is the case it will be taken into account should we move into any kind of disciplinary case.”

He added: “We should get the reports in during the course of today, and then we’ll look at those.

“If we need to discuss with people who were there on site we will do that, and obviously we’ll take action after that. In the next couple of days we should know.”

It really is becoming a huge problem for Rangers tbh, I mean how many more of these incidents can they brush off as ''oh sure every club has one or two idiots supporting them'' its that burying the head in the sand attitude that is feuling the problem, plain and simple RFC have one of the worst reputations and names in European football and UEFA need to act swiftly.

Premierstone, Rangers have one of the largest travelling supports in Europe, and as a consequence idiots are always going to be in their midst. To bring some sense of fairness to debate, I contacted a mate of mine who I know had friends at the game. Some of the more pertinent points to note:

1) One turnstyle into ground for 3000 fans in official Rangers end.
    2) Some fans did not get into game until half time
    3) Crushing was inevitable, heavy handed stewards responded with spray before game. Created a negative atmosphere in away section.
    4) A steward decided to hang a tri colour on the glass in front of Rangers fans, a couple of Rangers fan tried to remove it and were baton charged. Very clever steward.
    5) A police officer then removed flag and calm was restored
    6) An elderly Rangers fan, who goes to all Rangers euro away towards front of stand suffers a reaction to spray, Rangers fans rush to his aid and are beaten back. This is footage on news apparently.
    7) ONE fan did rip up a seat in disgust, and was quickly sorted out by other fans. Mass seat ripping did not occur despite what media may have reported.
    8) It was a minor incident lasting a couple of minutes at half time
    9) Situation could have been avoided had turnstyles being opened and had stewards behaved with a bit more responsibility.

Conclusions:
    Moral of story, ban that idiot for throwing the seat. Disgusting yobbish behaviour, regardless of cirumstances
    UEFA, fine Urinea for the handling of the game, unacceptable. There were 5 un opened turnstyles into ground, this is not acceptable. Its a death trap waiting to happen. They should have known there would be thousands of Rangers fans at game, they had issued tickets for crying out loud. Did Urinea as a club think the fans wouldn't bother coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Premierstone, Rangers have one of the largest travelling supports in Europe, and as a consequence idiots are always going to be in their midst. To bring some sense of fairness to debate, I contacted a mate of mine who I know had friends at the game. Some of the more pertinent points to note:

3) Crushing was inevitable, heavy handed stewards responded with spray before game. Created a negative atmosphere in away section.
    4) A steward decided to hang a tri colour on the glass in front of Rangers fans, a couple of Rangers fan tried to remove it and were baton charged. Very clever steward.
    6) An elderly Rangers fan, who goes to all Rangers euro away towards front of stand suffers a reaction to spray, Rangers fans rush to his aid and are beaten back. This is footage on news apparently.
    7) ONE fan did rip up a seat in disgust, and was quickly sorted out by other fans. Mass seat ripping did not occur despite what media may have reported.
    9) Situation could have been avoided had turnstyles being opened and had stewards behaved with a bit more responsibility.

Conclusions:
    Moral of story, ban that idiot for throwing the seat. Disgusting yobbish behaviour, regardless of cirumstances
    UEFA, fine Urinea for the handling of the game, unacceptable. There were 5 un opened turnstyles into ground, this is not acceptable. Its a death trap waiting to happen. They should have known there would be thousands of Rangers fans at game, they had issued tickets for crying out loud. Did Urinea as a club think the fans wouldn't bother coming?

The situation regard's set up before the game was totally unacceptable as was the behaviour of a minority of Rangers fans.

With this being moved to Steua's ground, who would be handling the stadium management? i'm assuming the same crowd that would a Steau game rather than a Urinea one. Could explain the bad management.

It's with Uefa now anyway, so i'm sure it will be dealt with in a totally professional way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

(7) ONE fan did rip up a seat in disgust, and was quickly sorted out by other fans. Mass seat ripping did not occur despite what media may have reported.

They flashed to the scenes at half time in the Arsenal match on sky and i saw at least two seats go flying towards the stewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Conclusions:

TBH Brewster I refuse to engage in a debate with someone who even refuses to acknowledge which team he actually supports, its not even funny anymore tbh why do you think Eirebear and Broxi and treated with more respect on here and are listened to and we can engage in an adult conversation with them :rolleyes:

From...

I wasn't at stadium, neither you were, so how you can comment is beyond me.

to...

Conclusions:

So now are you admitting it did actually happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I wasn't at stadium, neither you were, so how you can comment is beyond me.
    2) Some fans did not get into...

<massive snip>

Conclusions:

Your posts are completely contradictory. He is commenting from what he has seen on tv reports and live footage. You are commenting from what you heard from your mate.

By your own first post, anything you say further on the matter, is completely irrelevant, unless you were actually in attendance.

Damn it bobbysands, you have the fastest fingers.

TBH Brewster I refuse to engage in a debate with someone who even refuses to acknowledge which team he actually supports, its not even funny anymore tbh why do you think Eirebear and Broxi and treated with more respect on here and are listened to and we can engage in an adult conversation with them :rolleyes:

That is your opinion Premierstone and you are entitled to it. However you are misinformed and I can't put it in plainer langauge for you. I support all British clubs in Europe, including Celtic and Rangers. I have never said otherwise. I don't know what more I can say.

From...

to...

So now are you admitting it did actually happen?

Yes, the seat ripping incident happened. I have no reason to believe the first hand reports I heard are inaccurate. As always, its digusting behaviour and I would condemn it as has the Chief Exec of Rangers Football Club.

However, one fan was responsible for this out of 3k fans?? Bout a dozen or so were involved in flighting stewards in stadium?

If soccer fans are subjected to the level of mismanagement that Rangers fans were last night, trouble will follow as sure as night follows day.

It is with Uefa now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It certainly happened, not sure what caused it or how widespread it was but it certainly happened. I work with some guys who are season ticket hoders at Ibrox and whose friends nephews friend was there and he said so ... so there!

Anyhow, it is clear that there is an element of the Rangers support who do not give a **** about participating in trouble and how this impacts the club they support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

bobbysands81 Please send us details of racism and rioting that occurs at games in other European countries as they occur (or the next day) so that we will not be ignorant of it.

• Advertisement

It certainly happened, not sure what caused it or how widespread it was but it certainly happened. I work with some guys who are season ticket hoders at Ibrox and whose friends nephews friend was there and he said so ... so there!

Anyhow, it is clear that there is an element of the Rangers support who do not give a **** about participating in trouble and how this impacts the club they support.

I agree with you A dub in glasgow to a certain extent. Some supporters have to be more restrained and controlled in their behaviour. However, bad organisation and bad stewarding certainly dont help these incidences. If teams from the lesser leagues are to participate in CL, there is an onus on UEFA to ensure games are policed correctly. Any team will a large travelling support should set alarm bells ringing with UEFA. If agreed arrangements prior to game do not happen, home club has to be punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Nothing new from Rangers supporters but the management of the game was poor. You'd think that they'd be better organised for a large away support that has a history of troublemaking.

bobbysands81 Please send us details of racism and rioting that occurs at games in other European countries as they occur (or the next day) so that we will not be ignorant of it.

I think this is a very good suggestion Fr Ted, however, I think Mr Sands would be a very busy boy if he was to report on every incidence of bad behaviour across Europe.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Nothing new from Rangers supporters but the management of the game was poor. You'd think that they'd be better organised for a large away support that has a history of troublemaking.

According to what I have heard second hand from people at the game, I think this pretty much sums up situation. Bad management and stewarding and some drunken idiots reacting to this. However, not sure this has been reported correctly in media.

I think this is a very good suggestion Fr Ted, however, I think Mr Sands would be a very busy boy if he was to report on every incidence of bad behaviour across Europe.

Careful now admin have warned folks to stay on topic.

Careful now admin have warned folks to stay on topic.

Are you a mod now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

the Daily Record are rushing to the old defence of "it was chelsea casuals who did it then ran away".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/8343722.stm

Although I can't find that report on the Record's online site.

the Daily Record are rushing to the old defence of "it was chelsea casuals who did it then ran away".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/8343722.stm

Although I can't find that report on the Record's online site.

I wouldn't exactly put too much heed into what the tabloid press are saying about incident. Reading thread will give you a pretty good account of what happened. But yes, English hooligans do attach themselves to the Rangers support which is unfortunate from the club's perspective.

Are you a mod now?

Whats the value of childish, cheap comments like the above? Its a cheap pop and adds nothing to the debate. No wonder there is a warning in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

i wonder which came first, the anti Irish songs sung by Rangers fans, or the Anti Rangers elements in Ireland?

Another thought occurred to me, what if UEFA decide to ban Scottish teams from Europe, will anybody notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

i wonder which came first, the anti Irish songs sung by Rangers fans, or the Anti Rangers elements in Ireland?

Another thought occurred to me, what if UEFA decide to ban Scottish teams from Europe, will anybody notice?

Everyone would probably notice because of the implications it has for their club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Rangers causing trouble again shock horror!! Shouldn't we follow this up with the knee jerk reaction of " Celtic do it too!" I know there is no reports of Celtic fans doing this type of thing in Europe but the Rangers fans will get upset if we don't. After all, their excuses are wearing thin now. It's never their fault is it?? No of course not, its always the "actions" of the police or the organisers that make them behave like animals.

Poor Rangers. Why can't everybody understand that the bare chested skinhead with the bulldog tatoo on his arm who was ripping up the stadium seats and throwing them at people is just a victim, not a racist thug at all!!

A number of Rangers supporters wearing Stone Island and Burberry and speaking with Cockney accents were spotted before the match in Romania. (Daily Record
    )

Well there you go then, it was obviously a group of West Ham fans who decided to go and watch Rangers rather than watch the match at the Boleyn ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Are you a mod now?

bobbysands81 is not really a mod kind of name to be fair.

Hey bobbysands81, have you the celtic jersey with 32 on the back with Tiocaidh ar la as the name ? If not, youre not really a fan.

Yes becuase Ireland has such a history of hating British football clubs :rolleyes:

You'd never ever see a British football jersey in Ireland would you??

That must be it, Rangers anti-Irish racism was just a reaction to "anti-Rangers" elements in Ireland. It had absolutely nothing to do with hatred of the Irish immigrant community in Glasgow and the " DER Takin ourrrr Jobs!!!" syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

UEFA just charged Rangers for improper conduct by suporters. So maybe its true:eek:
    http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/135171-rangers-charged-with-improper-conduct-by-uefa/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

BolBill wrote: »
    bobbysands81 is not really a mod kind of name to be fair.

Hey bobbysands81, have you the celtic jersey with 32 on the back with Tiocaidh ar la as the name ? If not, youre not really a fan.

that's a bit silly, now.

Rondolfus wrote: »
    Yes becuase Ireland has such a history of hating British football clubs :rolleyes:
    which would be a reasonable response if it were all British clubs singing anti Irish songs, but it isn't, it is specifically Rangers.

Are you trying to imply that Rangers are one of the "British" clubs that are ever so popular over here?
    Rondolfus wrote: »
    That must be it, Rangers anti-Irish racism was just a reaction to "anti-Rangers" elements in Ireland. It had absolutely nothing to do with hatred of the Irish immigrant community in Glasgow and the " DER Takin ourrrr Jobs!!!" syndrome.

probably, i doubt very much if the Anti Rangers sentiments in this country help too much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

UEFA just charged Rangers for improper conduct by suporters. So maybe its true:eek:
    http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/135171-rangers-charged-with-improper-conduct-by-uefa/

Hearing on Nov 12 same day as financial results, judgement day for RFC

BolBill wrote: »

Not fair. It's not an anti-Celtic thing.

which would be a reasonable response if it were all British clubs singing anti Irish songs, but it isn't, it is specifically Rangers.

Are you trying to imply that Rangers are one of the "British" clubs that are ever so popular over here?

Not at all, I was just highlighting that "anti-Rangers" feeling in Ireland didn't just spring up for no reason. British clubs are widely supported in Ireland so it has nothing to do with the clubs nationality.
    probably, i doubt very much if the Anti Rangers sentiments in this country help too much though.

What do you expect? It's by far the most anti-irish club in the world, hence, the majority of people in Ireland will naturally harbour bad feelings towards it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement