Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for new puppy

• 05-11-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi all, we have a 6 week old boxer cross pup arriving to us next week. We both always wanted one, and after lots of discussion we took the first steps. We have a newly built house in the countryside so space is not a problem. We are getting him off a neighbour - free to good homes. However we have a couple of questions.
    • We don't want a dog sleeping in the house, and we have a kennel in an area on the lawn fenced off. I realise that I can't have him in the kennel for the first few nights. Would it be ok to section off an area in the garage, and put down bedding and blankets for him for the first few nights? :confused:
    • We want him in around the house during the day (come and go as he wants), but not at night. Will this be a problem for him to get used to? Am going to try and house train him straight away.
    • We have to get him his injections. Do I need to know which ones or do I just bring him to the vet who will know?
    Any other general advice for 2 enthusiastic newbies.....Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok, firstly, are you getting the pup aged 6 weeks? as this is too young to be taken from the mother, they should be at least 8 weeks.

Why dont you want the pup in the house at night? do you know how cold it is out there at nights now? I wouldnt be putting any pup outside to sleep now.
    I dont understand why it cant be in the house during the day but not at night. I think its very unfair to ask a young pup to sleep outside on its own when its after being taken away from its mother, plus as i said its very cold at nights out there.

You will find it hard to house train him if hes outside at night or in the garage. i would suggest crate training as this will help with toilet training.

The pup should already have some injections so the vet will give the next set. You should get a vaccination card from the breeder when you get the pup and it will show what vaccinations it already has.

The pup will need to be wormed regularly too until its 6 months then every 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

The pup needs to be 8 weeks before it leaves his/her mother. This 2 week period is very important in the pups development so I would advise you to leave the pup with the breeder until then.

Secondly I would not be leaving a pup outside or in a garage at night. I don't understand why people get dogs and then leave them outside. If he's allowed in during the day then why not at night? It's not a massive leap.

If he's coming at 8 weeks then he should at least have had his parvo shot. Your vet will tell you what he needs. Also remember that he needs to be wormed every fortnight until 12 weeks old, every month until 6 months old and then every 3 months after that. Please get all your worming and defleaing preparations from your vet, you can buy them over the counter and steer clear of the supermarket brands. Also find out what the pups owner has been feeding him as switching food brands too suddenly can cause stomach upset.

Some good info here http://www.dogstardaily.com/training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I had the exact same plan when I was getting my pup - he'll sleep out at night, but be free to go in and out during the day.

That changed pretty quickly after we got him and we used a childs play pen to crate train him and prevent him from chewing the furniture in the kitchen. 15 months later and its still his bed.
    He loves being outside, but would hate the thought of having him sleep out there.

Our fella is a cocker, so the pen keeps him in, not sure if it would work for a boxer cross, as he's probably a lot taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Thanks for the replies. There are other threads here which say that it is actually better to take the pup at 6 rather than 8 weeks. Anyway we have agreed to take him on this date so that's that. As for not wanting him inside at night, well to be honest, our house isn't even built 12 months, alot of work went into it and there are alot of expensive items in it...suites of furniture etc. I don't want to wake up one morning with something destroyed. I was told by good few people that if you let a dog in at all, that your house will be destroyed over time. And to be honest there are loads of people out there that don't let a dog inside their front door....

There are very few threads here that advise taking the pup at 6 weeks, its is highly advisable to leave a pup until 8 weeks or more.

So you have a new house and you dont want the dog destroying it, so why get a dog if its not going to be part of the family and household? what happens when it destroys your garden from being locked outside and not allowed in to have company?

I really dont know why people get a dog if they want to keep it outside. Dogs are pack animals and dont do well being left alone.

Dogs chew and stuff, thats what puppies do. My dog is 3 now and still wrecks/breaks things, but thats part of being a dog owner. If you commit to getting a dog then thats part of partial of the lifestyle of a dog owner.

You will have things that will be destroyed either way so you may get used to that, even if the pup has to stay outside.

If you crate the pup inside at night you wont have furniture etc being chewed.
    If the dog sleeps out at night you are liable to have the dog barking/howling as it is bored or lonely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Cupcakes

slookie wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. There are other threads here which say that it is actually better to take the pup at 6 rather than 8 weeks. Anyway we have agreed to take him on this date so that's that. As for not wanting him inside at night, well to be honest, our house isn't even built 12 months, alot of work went into it and there are alot of expensive items in it...suites of furniture etc. I don't want to wake up one morning with something destroyed. I was told by good few people that if you let a dog in at all, that your house will be destroyed over time. And to be honest there are loads of people out there that don't let a dog inside their front door....
    Get a cat instead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

You can expect a load of replies saying that 8 weeks is the earliest to take a puppy. The 2 weeks are crucial for development with its litter mates.

As for the new house thing, I also have a relatively new house, with all the massive outlay on furniture etc. If the puppy is taught properly to know its limits, you should be fine.
    I also think having him inside and using a crate will get him house trained quicker.
    Couldn't he sleep in the utility room, or in his crate?
    That way you're not going to wake up to a destroyed house - he'll be restricted in where he can go.

I don't mean to sound preachy, but I was getting pretty much the same advice on here before I got my fella, and was against having him inside. He was so cute I quickly dumped that plan, and accepted I could never put him out in the cold.

So can anyone recommend a good website for crate training, as I know nothing about it....and best place to get a crate?

I gave you a link in my post above.

Any good pet shop will have crates or you can get them online. Shop around and get a nice sturdy one and it'll last forever. I find the Savic brand ones very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Honestly, +1 to what cupcake said. Don't get a dog. You don't have the facilities for a six week old puppy - you can't get a dog like that, play with it for a couple of hours during the day, then leave it outside, and expect it to bond, adjust or grow up as a good-tempered animal. You also can't bring it into your shiny new house and expect it not to toilet on your floors or chew things while it's teething.

Apologise to the breeder - they won't care, they'll just sell it to someone else. Enjoy your house for a while, and make a decision again at a later date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I just got a boxer pup 2 weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bullit2k to see vids.

There is no way that little thing could survive outside until at least 1yr old+.
    Even then she should be in at night (except summer if you want).
    Boxers aren't built for the cold - look at the short hair on her.

I recommend you fence off an area of your house for the dog. Utility room or something. Or go with the cat option...

http://www.puppiesanddogsinfo.com/ have great starter videos / podcasts.

re: vaccines - the vet will take care of that for you. Expect 2 sets of €50+ for the visit and vaccine. + some worming advice and tablets.

Make as much space as you can in your life for this dog.
    I'm up an hour earlier to play and tire ours out before work.
    Plus total bill for getting her and all the bits added up quite rapidly...
    Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

We have outside dogs who we first crate-trained as young pups, then moved outside (they have a kennel within an insulated outbuilding) after they were c. 6 months. We got our first at just 6 weeks old as he was a rescue pup - it makes it more difficult for you as an owner to deal with the younger pup so if you can negociate with your neighbour to keep the pup with the mother for another 2 weeks min that would be better for you and the pup. Maybe offer some feed or whatever expense it puts him to - it will be worth it in the long run. Ours don't come inside much - maybe for a couple of hours in the evening for company and to sleep occasionally in very cold periods but they have each other for company and warmth so I would suggest that you consider a partner for yours as it will make your life easier if he has doggy company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

So can anyone recommend a good website for crate training, as I know nothing about it....and best place to get a crate?

try these guys £60 (incl postage to Ireland) for 42" crate, with matt and lint roller

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Foldable-Dog-Puppy-Crate-Cage-Car-Carrier-42-XXLarge_W0QQitemZ220504603131QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item33571939fb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

If you take a pup at 6 weeks, chances are you'll be back here in a month looing for advice on how to stop the puppy biting and growling over his food/with a toy.
    These are things a pup learns to not do fom its mother and siblings. By taking the pup at such a young age, you're leaving yourself open for huge problems. 8 weeks is an absolute minimum for a pup to be parted from its litter.

Ok we got the pup yesterday, and everything is going ok. He is very playful and friendly. He sleeps nearly every second hour. The only problem was last night when he was whining when left in the utility...went on at all hours of the night. Was up then at 7 this morning, took him for a walk and then he slept again. This toilet training lark is alot of work....how can so much ****e and piss come out of something so small!! Anyone have any ideas on how to stop him from crying at night?

Unfortunately thats what pups do, they pee, poo and cry and chew, so you may get used to it :)

With the crying, the pup will cry as its all new and different to them. The trick is to be consistant, and when the pup is crying you have to ignore it, even if it is hard. If you go to the pup when it cries it will learn that it gets your attention by crying and it will continue to do so if you go to it when it cries.
    You will have a few sleepless nights initially but the pup should settle over the next few days once it has a routine so try stick to the same routine each night.

Try tiring the pup out just before bedtime and it should sleep easier then.

Toilet training can take weeks, even months so again you need to be consistant. Take the pup out after every mealtime, when it has a drink, when it wakes up from a sleep and then after a play session too.

Lots of praise when the pup goes outside and it will eventually learn that outside is the place to go. Dont give out too much if you catch him going in the house, just say a firm no, and pick him up and bring him outside to finish.

He's missing his mum and siblings! You'd be crying too. Thought he wasn't coming until next week?

Try a warm hot water bottle wrapped up well so he won't burn himself, this will emulate the mothers heat. You can also try a ticking clock wrapped up too to emulate her heatbeat.

If he's 6 weeks you'll be toilet training for a while yet. Also don't walk him outside if he hasn't had any injections. And the rule for walking is 5 mins per month of age to protect growing joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

if you dont mind me saying you dont sound very prepared for this dog. You have taken him too early, hes a boxer cross so will probably be medium to large when fully grown with high energy levels, but you have a brand spanking new house you dont want messed up and you have him one day and are already asking how to stop him crying :rolleyes:
    he's barly 6 weeks and jsut left his mother and siblings so he's confused and sad and lonely as he's never been on his own at night time.
    give him warm blankets, maybe an old t-shirt/jumper with your scent on it and a little ticking clock. tire him out before bed time also.
    best of luck with him, put up some pics if you can
    oh by the way, his bladder is TINY so there will be a lot of peeing

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with you that we weren't fully prepared. I was under the illusion that I could leave him outside in a kennel at all times....I know now that I can't! We are getting there slowly. Another question....is he too old to have his tail cut off. It just doesn't look right on him. I know that vets won't do it, but I have a friend that breeds them that would do it(He's on hols at moment so haven't asked him yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with you that we weren't fully prepared. I was under the illusion that I could leave him outside in a kennel at all times....I know now that I can't! We are getting there slowly. Another question....is he too old to have his tail cut off. It just doesn't look right on him. I know that vets won't do it, but I have a friend that breeds them that would do it(He's on hols at moment so haven't asked him yet)

this is a joke right?? you want to cut a 6 week old puppys tail off? I thought it was bad reading this all week but what you have just said is ridiculous. did you ever think that there are rules for a reason? you arent supposed to take a pup at 6 weeks, all the reasons that have been mentioned already and you havent taken any heed of. but now you want to get a "friend" to do it as the vet wont? the vet dont do it because it is cruel and a horrible thing to do. what if your mother though your ears didnt look right and cut them when you were a baby?!! :mad:

Oh sweet jesus, i cant believe you just asked that:confused::confused:

DO NOT GO NEAR THAT PUPS TAIL FOR ANY REASON!!!!!!!!!

YES he is way too old now for that and that is down right cruelty if you touch that tail now, its barbaric if you do anything to his tail now.

If and only if you were getting a pups tail docked, its only to be done at a very young age, like 2-3days old and by a vet.

I would urge you to think twice about keeping this pup as if you are consider hacking his tail off now then you are definately not cut out to be dog owner if you are considering cutting this dogs tail off now.:mad:

you should read this, I am guessing you wont so I have picked out a few bits that might be usefull

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/documents/why_taildocking_should_be_prohibited.pdf

"Tail-docking involves the amputation of most or part of a dog’s tail. The amputation is usually done when puppies are between two and five days old"

"The tail is an appendage that forms the hindmost part of the dog’s backbone and usually consists of between 6 and 23 mobile vertebrae, enclosed in muscle that is served by 4 to 7 paired nerves. The tail muscles (located on the hind part of the dog’s back as well as on the tail itself) are attached to the tail vertebrae by tendons. Docking length varies, but short-docked dogs such as Rottweilers may be left with only 1 or 2 tail vertebrae. Tail-docking therefore involves the cutting through or crushing of skin, muscles, up to 7 pairs of nerves and bone and cartilage connections"

Sound nice???

Why would you want to butcher a 6 week old pup? You are aware that docking is now illegal in the UK. I wish they would ban it here. Seriously, if the vet won't do it does that not tell you something???

I would seriously hope that your friend doesnt do this to 6 week old pups, if and i mean if they are to be docked they should be done at a very young age, as in 2 or 3 days old.

At this age if someone decides to cut their tail off id imagine the poor pup would bleed to death or be in serious amount of pain. If a dog needs a tail amputation it has to be done by a vet and under anaesthetic and not just hacked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

i am begining to think (hope against all hope) that this is a wind up!!! HIS TAIL DOSNT LOOK RIGHT???? what is wrong with you? First you take a pup you have no idea how to look after then you moan when he does puppy things and now you want to disfigure and butcher him by some 'friend' who does home jobs! OP do the right thing and either give the pup back to the breeder to find a new home or get him a new home yourself imediatly. Dogs are NOT accessories that you can dickie up to look how you want them. If you didnt like the look of the dog in the first place why on earth did you take him. :mad:

Phenix wrote: »
    i am begining to think (hope against all hope) that this is a wind up!!!

thats what I was thinking when I read that. no-one would be that stupid surely?! and if they are, they dont deserve the dog. really hope if they are serious with these questions they wont keep the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

The poor poor pup. We got our pup at 8 weeks and he has been trained not to eat the furniture and (touch wood) to date hasnt done any damage... If you spend the time training him it will pay off in the future...

DO NOT attempt to do a back street operation on his tail.

Ok ye might all like to keep ye're knickers on. There's a reason I asked the question - to get the answer. I didn't know it had to be done in the first 2 or 3 days - Obviously I wont be getting it done now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Look, you seem very lost. Instead of worrying about the dog's very lovely, natural tail "looking funny", you should be doing the following, as a new puppy owner-

Taking some time off work/college to socialise him and get him used to a daily routine.

Set a firm feeding routine. Make sure you've investigated the best food for your dog. Decent dogfood is not cheap.

Get him to the vet to get his injections up to date, worming tablets and get a microchip fitted, if he doesn't already have one.

Puppy-proofing the house. A puppy, especially one that young, will chew anything including electrical cables.

Buy toys, chews, treats (for training), a collar, nylon lead, ID tag (required by law. Oh, and you'll need a license for him once he hits four months).

Start lead training in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Secure your garden. A pup that young will easily squeeze through the smallest of gaps.

Investigate and book puppy obedience classes in your area. A Boxer cross will most likely be a fairly big, muscular dog and will need discipline. It doesn't sound like you have any experience of training or owning a dog before so get professional help to do it right.

Stock up on washing powder, wet wipes, Febreeze (for wet dog smell on furniture), little treats, poo bags (for when he's a little older, has all his vaccinations and you're able to take him out on walks), toys (a mix of soft, chewy and squeaky) and towels.

Advertisement