Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for new puppy

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

WSS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

slookie wrote: »
    Oh lucky you!! I know we'll get there eventually. A couple of people have mentioned to me about these pads you can get in pet shops that help with training. Anyone have any info on these? There was one stage last night when he made bout ten different pees in ten different places, in the space of bout 20 minutes!!

Don't know anything about the pads, but while I wouldn't put paper down for the pup while you're there, I'd definitely put it down at the door if you're going out and leaving her for longer than half an hour or so. She's too young to have bladder control and just won't be able to hold it if you're out for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Hey just thought I'd post an update. Firstly, he has grown so much in the 3 weeks, can't get over it. We're not having much joy in the toilet training department, but I put alot of that down to a lack of consistency on our part. We got the pads yesterday and they seem to be working. Another problem is the constant nipping and biting at my ankles when I'm walking or standing. I always shout a firm 'NO', and catch him by the neck and move him away. He growls and barks crossly then but he keeps coming back for more. He never des it to my wife, so I guess he sees it as a play thing. Also in the evenings when I play with him, he just tries to bite my hands the whole time. Would love to enroll him in a puppy class, but am in Tipperary and as usual everything seems to be in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

how old is he now?

He was 8 weeks old yesyerday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hunterwelly

how old is he now?
    I was about to ask the same thing. Looking back at the first post, he was 6 weeks old, so I'm guessing 9 or 10 weeks now.

Still far too early to be worried about housetraining progress. It can take a good 6 months for a lot of dogs. Don't let the "housetrain your pup in 5 days" internet ads scare you. Just keep at it. I'd be inclined to do away with the pads. They only teach the dog that it's ok to go in the house. You'll get there but it'll take longer. Just keep bringing him outside instead. Start as you mean to go on.

Constant nipping and ankle biting - yeah, I know how you feel. This is puppy playfulness. He'll grow out of it. Try not to lose your temper (very hard sometimes). Buy a crate for him and crate train him. Then you can put him in it for short periods when you need a break from him.

Have patience and stick it out. By the time you hit 6 or 7 months things will be a lot better. The first 6 months are the hardest.

try "yelping" when he bites, sounds like he was taken away from the other pups to young and has not learned the bit about not biting, interesting he doesn't do that to your OH - maybe he doesn;t see her as part of his pack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

The yelping when they bite you is good advice, but they are rather chewy at that age, and then when they start teething they'll eat everything :)
    Again as said, toilet training will get better in time - as they can't hold it in until around 12 weeks or so.

Regarding the pup not biting your OH - is she unwell at all?
    I know my dog and pup won't bite my mother as she's sick (she's got a longterm illness) and if they find her finger in their mouth they just push it out with their tongues and lick her gently. Whereas they'll eat me or my dad or my brother no problem.

No she's not sick! But she wouldn't be as fond of dogs as I would and maybe he senses that.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

you can down load a book for free called 'before you get your puppy' by ian dunbar (founder of Apdt, vet and behaviourist)
    Go to www.dogstardaily.com and you can downlaod it there- takes the guess work out of raising a behaviourally healthy pup. covers house training in depth, bite inhibition, sociailisation etc .good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Paul91 wrote: »
    try "yelping" when he bites, sounds like he was taken away from the other pups to young and has not learned the bit about not biting, interesting he doesn't do that to your OH - maybe he doesn;t see her as part of his pack?

Yelping definitely works. We used it with the eldest when she was a pup and her reaction was to stop nipping immediately and then lick her victim frantically. The nipping won't stop overnight but keep yelping then stop playing every time it happens and you'll see results in a couple of weeks.

slookie wrote: »
    Hey just thought I'd post an update. Firstly, he has grown so much in the 3 weeks, can't get over it. We're not having much joy in the toilet training department, but I put alot of that down to a lack of consistency on our part. We got the pads yesterday and they seem to be working. Another problem is the constant nipping and biting at my ankles when I'm walking or standing. I always shout a firm 'NO', and catch him by the neck and move him away. He growls and barks crossly then but he keeps coming back for more. He never des it to my wife, so I guess he sees it as a play thing. Also in the evenings when I play with him, he just tries to bite my hands the whole time. Would love to enroll him in a puppy class, but am in Tipperary and as usual everything seems to be in Dublin.

Where in Tipp are you and I'll see if I can get some recommendations

Hey Toulousse, am in West Tipp bout 8 miles from Tipp town or Cashel. Another problem. Herself is getting sick of him going to toilet everywhere, the utility door is all scratched and walls all paw marks. She wants him out in the shed straight away. He is due to vet this Friday for his second lot of injections...would he be okay out there then in his bed with hot water bottle?

8 weeks a bit young to be outside by itself i would thought - I have 4 outside together but they have a heater on for 15 min every hour over night - plus mine are 10 weeks on thurs and big chunky german shep/newfie's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its definately not ok to put an 8 week old pup in a shed in this weather. Unfortunately thats what pups do, they poo, wee and scratch the place, its part and parcel of having a pup in the house.

Its far too cold at night to have a young pup out there, are you not using the crate? this will stop the scratching and the paw marks on your wall for a start and the mess from going to the toilet.

Pups are a lot of work as we said at the start of this thread so you need to bre prepared to put it in and have patience.

Grand, I'll get onto someone I know down there and see can I get some recommendations for you.

Re: outside. I thought we'd already been through this? It's too cold outside for an 8 week old pup. You said yourself that you're not being consistent with the house training. You need to be watching him and taking him at 5 weeks just prolonged it all for you but we told you that and you did not take any heed. I had hoped that you would take all the advice and read all the links that people were kind enough to supply you with. Seems we're back to square one in just 3 short weeks.

No we're not. I don't want him outside but she does...have to get her to put in some extra work when she's alone with him too. When she sees this she might listen and believe me!!

You're right, she does need to be helping with the training when you're not there and both of you need to be on the same page and doing things in the same way to avoid confusion to the pup.

Hi all...am back after a long absence! Things are going great with the dog. Lead trained perfect, is very good around strangers etc. Couple of questions. I need to get him neutered as my sister in law got a boxer bitch pup (5 months old) and they are constantly playing together. So how much does this cost? If you are on social welfare is it cheaper? He is 2 in September so is he too old?
    Next, how often should I be dosing him for worms and fleas, and the best (cheapest!) place to get this? Thanks in advance.

Glad to hear it all worked out!

He is not too old to be neutered, he could have been done anytime from 6 months. Vet prices vary so weigh your dog and then ring around. Also people in receipt of certain tyes of welfare can get it done on the Dogs Trust Scheme at participating vets so ask when you're ringing around.

Also I know Cottage Rescue in Cashel used to be able to help with subsidised neutering and I think you're in Tipp aren't you? http://www.cottagerescue.ie/spay-neuter.html

You should be worming your dog every 3 months with a good wormer such as Drontal or Milbemax. Only use wormers that you can get in the vets and steer clear of the supermarket ones like Bob Johnson, etc. You can buy them in bulk cheaper on the internet.

Only treat your dog for fleas when necessary. A spot on will last about 6 weeks and good ones to use are Frontline, Stronghold or Advocate. Again you can get these over the counter at the vets or online.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply. I know it seems like a stupid question, but how will I know if he has fleas. Just because he might itch himself wouldn't necessarily mean he would have them?

Well if he's never been treated between now and when you got him then chances are he might. But yeah, scratching doesn't necessarily mean fleas.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2211062_tell-dog-has-fleas.html

Pull back his coat and look at the skin. If he has a heavy infestation they'll be very obvious. They are tiny black things that can move very fast. Also look for little black specs of flea poo which is basically dried blood. If you find any black specs then place on a wet paper towel and they'll turn red.

Invest in a flea comb available at any pet shop. You can just run it through the coat and any fleas there will be caught on it. Be careful though, they move super fast!

Advertisement