Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone think the planners for the Tunnel/Bypass should resign?

Options
  • 05-11-2009 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

With immediate effect?

Dublin Rd = Full with tailbacks
    Tipp Road = Full with tailbacks
    Kilmallock Rd = Full with tailbacks

The common ground on all of these is the Childers Road where all the roads meet. The place where all the traffic has now been forced.

The reason I was given for the closure of the in road past the Maldron = Most of the traffic going through Limerick is on the way to Galway.

NRA/City Council/County Council *golf clap*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Jumpy wrote: »

The reason I was given for the closure of the in road past the Maldron = Most of the traffic going through Limerick is on the way to Galway.

That is one of the most stupid decisions ever made on roads around Limerick.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

does anyone know when this is due to kick on fully?? im working next to the maldron and come in from the adare side every day...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

does anyone know when this is due to kick on fully?? im working next to the maldron and come in from the adare side every day...

Ouch, guess your drive to work will get that bit longer, both in terms of distance and time, once the change comes in.

Not sure when the change officially kicks in. There was paper talk a while back saying before Xmas, but that would be madness to do that at that time of year, so I reckon next year at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I'm not entirely sure I understand what the problem with the road works is. The truth of the matter is that most of Limericks congestion problems stem from the fact that there is no option to cross the Shannon from the north or south without going through the city center. The traffic volume taken care of by the bypass will be huge.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what the problem with the road works is. The truth of the matter is that most of Limericks congestion problems stem from the fact that there is no option to cross the Shannon from the north or south without going through the city center. The traffic volume taken care of by the bypass will be huge.

The congestion at present is at the other side of town and not heading on towards the bridges over the river, and it is congestion that has only gotten really bad in the last year or two.

Plus they will be making the end of the current motorway from Adare into a one way system, so all traffic coming towards Limerick from the Cork side will have to either turn onto the small road by Rosbrien and come in through Greenfields/Ballinacurra Gardens, or head out to the Tipperary road and come in that way, which will cause massive tailbacks in those areas.

• Advertisement

You'll have to go up through Dooradoyle.

Which will only cause more congestion in an already congested area at peak times.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The congestion at present is at the other side of town and not heading on towards the bridges over the river, and it is congestion that has only gotten really bad in the last year or two.

I don't follow you man, theres congestion all over Limerick all because of lack of river crossing options.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

There should have been a clause inserted in the contract for these works that two lanes be maintained in each direction during construction.

This worked during the widening of the N7 and M50

I don't follow you man, theres congestion all over Limerick all because of lack of river crossing options.

There is plenty of congestion in areas where the traffic is not heading to or from the bridges.

Blaming the bridges for the congestion is too simplistic.

The congestion on the bridges does not cause the congestion at the Tipperary bridge junction for example.

The river bridges are not causing the congestion that traffic heading from Cork/Kerry towards the Dublin road are getting.

• Advertisement

There is plenty of congestion in areas where the traffic is not heading to or from the bridges.

Blaming the bridges for the congestion is too simplistic.

The congestion on the bridges does not cause the congestion at the Tipperary bridge junction for example.

The river bridges are not causing the congestion that traffic heading from Cork/Kerry towards the Dublin road are getting.

Now I follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

a lot of misinformation here.

The locals in the carew pk/roxboro area fought tooth and nail at the planning stage to insure the access road at the maldron was a temporary road whilst the ring road/tunnel were being completed.

12 years later they are now shouting loudest to keep it. Considering the road layout and infastructure in place and currently being built there is no way the link road can stay open in both directions.

All in all this should be used as example to all of the pit falls of parish pump politics.

mitresize5 wrote: »
    a lot of misinformation here.

The locals in the carew pk/roxboro area fought tooth and nail at the planning stage to insure the access road at the maldron was a temporary road whilst the ring road/tunnel were being completed.

12 years later they are now shouting loudest to keep it. Considering the road layout and infastructure in place and currently being built there is no way the link road can stay open in both directions.

All in all this should be used as example to all of the pit falls of parish pump politics.

Says more about the so called qualified planners that they would bend over for the parish pump politics.

So basically we will have a motorway that if you are driving from the Cork/Patrickswell side towards town that you cannot drive to the end of and get to town as you will have to turn off and drive in through Dooradoyle or the Rosbrien road/Greenfileds to get to the town, creating more congestion in an area that already suffers from inbound congestion, or you can go right at the end of the motorway and head to the Tipperary flyover to try and get to the Ballysimon road to get to town, another road that already suffers from horrific inbound congestion.

Brilliant stuff by planners who no doubt get paid big money for their planning or lack of it.

Why they just could not have gone and looked at how the link roads and tunnel are set up in Cork is beyond me. We are much smaller than Cork, yet I find it much easier to get around Cork at peak times than Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 thehungrysloth

Surely when the road is finished anyone coming from the Cork side can join the new stretch as far as the Dock Road and head into town that way?

For anyone unfamiliar with the city that would be much more straighforward than the current route - left onto Childers Road, turn right up by Lidl, wait at the lights there, turn right onto O'Connell Ave and into town (or the Carey's road alternative)

People travelling from Dublin can come off at Finnegans or the Tipperary Road or go all the way to the Dock Road depending on where in the city they're headed.

And for the record, I use the link road now and think they should have found a way to keep it open as well. I'm just not convinced that things will be as bad as people are making out (with the exception of the person working near the Maldron)

HS

Surely when the road is finished anyone coming from the Cork side can join the new stretch as far as the Dock Road and head into town that way?

For anyone unfamiliar with the city that would be much more straighforward than the current route - left onto Childers Road, turn right up by Lidl, wait at the lights there, turn right onto O'Connell Ave and into town (or the Carey's road alternative)

People travelling from Dublin can come off at Finnegans or the Tipperary Road or go all the way to the Dock Road depending on where in the city they're headed.

And for the record, I use the link road now and think they should have found a way to keep it open as well. I'm just not convinced that things will be as bad as people are making out (with the exception of the person working near the Maldron)

HS

Maybe it is better for people who are unfamiliar with the city to take a longer route, but what about the thousands of cars that use the route as it is the quickest way to work? Should they go down the Dock road way or the O'Connell Avemue way to? That way they can add extra traffic to the cars that will need to use those routes anyway and in turn further clog up the Dock road area.

You should try driving on the road to the Malrdon at the moment at peak times to see the amount of cars that will be diverted onto the other roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 thehungrysloth

@ Kess73

I think we agree in general. I'm just trying to work out where the cars coming from the Cork side and using the existing link road by the Maldron are ultimately going.

And the congestion on the Dock Road should drop significantly when people start using the tunnel.

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

@ Kess73

I think we agree in general. I'm just trying to work out where the cars coming from the Cork side and using the existing link road by the Maldron are ultimately going.

Limerick Enterprise Development Partnership Ltd. (old Krups building)
    Maldron hotel
    C.I.E/Bus Eireann (or whatever it is) on Roxboro road
    Galvone Ind Est

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What about someone working in Lidl or living on O'Connell Avenue ?

Not an issue.

The Dooradoyle exit is already crazy, and the Rosbrien Road is too narrow.

Someone going from Adare to Tesco or the Roxboro Garda Station, or the companies mentioned above, or - for example - Fedamore or Ballyneety - is being seriously put out by the change, especially as the Roxboro Road is only a flyover and doesn't have any slip-roads to the motorway, and the Old Cork Road goes under (again with no slip-roads).

One of the two was definitely required - either proper access at the Maldron or even 2 upward-only slip-roads to the Roxboro flyover.

Which will only cause more congestion in an already congested area at peak times.

Yes I agree but I used to live at the Crescent working in Shannon I now quite a few others in the same situation who don't want to go near the city center with the bypass surely (and I know this is anecdotal) they won't have thereby relieving congestion at least by that amount. I live in Clonmacken now if I'm still in Limerick when the bypass is finished I'll move closer to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Or you could alternatively take N7 west toward the N69 (dock rd) interchange turn around and head back up taking the slip to the maldron from the N7 heading east. I reckon going through Dooradoyle would take just as long. Driving an extra km wont hurt anyone.

Does anyone else reckon the N7 could potentially be dualled at finnegans towards UL. The road has plenty of space to do so and could help increase the flow of traffic at peak times.

• Advertisement

my other option is to come in the doc road and come onto the motorway there and then come off my the maldron...were moving to castletroy on jan 14th anyways so wont be a problem for long :P

h3000 wrote: »
    Limerick Enterprise Development Partnership Ltd. (old Krups building)
    Maldron hotel
    C.I.E/Bus Eireann (or whatever it is) on Roxboro road
    Galvone Ind Est

The LEDP must have 4-500 people a day going through it...
    e-net
    lets do coffee
    upc
    bord failte
    and a most of 1-5 people companies...

the bypass was great for giving directions to visiting customers/suppliers..gets complicated now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Lets not forget people living in the this quarter of the city , Janesboro , Carew Park , O Malley Park , Weston , Kennedy Park . If we want to go anywhere outside of the city it made it very easy for us to get back home without clogging up Childers Road . If I want to go to the Crescent or to B&Q or to UL it keeps me off of the inner link roads both going and coming ... can you imagine what it will be like when you put all of us back onto them . So it's not just getting to work it's getting home from work as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No the planners shouldnt resign, they did their job, showed the plans to the authorities and all agreed!

So take it up with your local authority if you have something to say!

tech2 wrote: »
    Driving an extra km wont hurt anyone.

Thats true but then some people in other junctions wont turn left, go around a roundabout and carry on, instead they sit there like fools waiting to turn right while traffic builds up behind them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The Dooradoyle road that is a nightmare will become hell. It just will not take all the south M20/Kerry traffic through a suburban road. The Dock road is nasty too far out of the way for traffic enetering the city from this entrance.

People need to also get real about the tunnel. It's going to cost 4.50 one way to use it. People are not going to use this daily for commuting, you would be having a laugh. Traffic congestion or no congestion. 9 Euro back to over just to get to work. It's outrageous.

I agree with the opening post. The bypass is the worst bypass ever designed. Every interchange on it is inadequate. The M50 in Dublin are removing all the roundabouts and traffic lights off them. While they are making the M50 mistakes here. I just don't where else to start with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Closing the Carew Link road by the Maldron is fcuking suicide. Just how intelligent are these planners? A slip road into Roxboro would not be that difficult. Talk about the blind leading the blind! How on earth can the Greenfields road cope with all the traffic that will be thrown its way!

grenache wrote: »
    Closing the Carew Link road by the Maldron is fcuking suicide. Just how intelligent are these planners? A slip road into Roxboro would not be that difficult. Talk about the blind leading the blind! How on earth can the Greenfields road cope with all the traffic that will be thrown its way!

its not closed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I was thinking about it, and a low tunnel could be an option, one only suitable for cars and vans, and not for trucks. this way they stop the commercial traffic they fear, and still get the cars into the maldron exit. they need to get under the slip road for traffic rom galway to adare/cork

• Advertisement

mysterious wrote: »
    The Dooradoyle road that is a nightmare will become hell. It just will not take all the south M20/Kerry traffic through a suburban road. The Dock road is nasty too far out of the way for traffic enetering the city from this entrance.

People need to also get real about the tunnel. It's going to cost 4.50 one way to use it. People are not going to use this daily for commuting, you would be having a laugh. Traffic congestion or no congestion. 9 Euro back to over just to get to work. It's outrageous.

I agree with the opening post. The bypass is the worst bypass ever designed. Every interchange on it is inadequate. The M50 in Dublin are removing all the roundabouts and traffic lights off them. While they are making the M50 mistakes here. I just don't where else to start with this.

Has that price been confirmed? Just that it seems high for a toll for such a short stretch.

€4.50 each way would have a lot of peole not using that tunnel and adding to the congestion on the bridges.

Expecting anyone who commutes to and from work that way to pay €45 a week is a bit much

Shame the local politicians and authorities did not make a stand like what happened in Cork when they tried to announce a toll on the Jack Lynch tunnel when it was opening.

Advertisement