Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone think the planners for the Tunnel/Bypass should resign?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

its not closed
    Not yet. It will be soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Kess73 wrote: »
    Has that price been confirmed? Just that it seems high for a toll for such a short stretch.

€4.50 each way would have a lot of peole not using that tunnel and adding to the congestion on the bridges.

:eek: Agree 100%.....if that price is correct I definitely wouldn't be using it or recommending it.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Shame the local politicians and authorities did not make a stand like what happened in Cork when they tried to announce a toll on the Jack Lynch tunnel when it was opening.

In a way, yes - it's annoying that the Corkonians get their equivalent for free.

But I wouldn't mind a reasonable fee for it, e.g. €1 or €1.50 (€15 a week / €750 a year if you're using it to get to work) because you'd probably save that much in petrol at heavy traffic times.

€4.50 (if true) is WAY too high; I'd previously heard that this might be the rate for commercial traffic, with €2 proposed for cars.....not sure how true that is, but even then it's adding to delivery costs and has a knock-on effect for us all......

Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    : but even then it's adding to delivery costs and has a knock-on effect for us all......

Crazy!

My brother is a truck driver , he says it will save him money going through the tunnel for €4:50 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jonski wrote: »
    My brother is a truck driver , he says it will save him money going through the tunnel for €4:50 .

Can see how it'd help trucks alright; sorry - should have been more specific because I was thinking of delivery vans, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

the planners should be taken out and shot. By all accounts its the worst designed stretch of road in europe but they will probably get a bonus for the mess, and in a year another few million will have to be spent fixing the mess at roxboro. And can you even begin to imagine the traffic around the cresent soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

This road is a disaster and has been designed badly on purpose in my opinion. I live in Careys Road and am on the road continuosly with my job and have been using the road since being designed, with continuos traffic chaos ever since, The tipperary interchange is a joke, with more turns off now that the traffic crawls there before it even gets to the bridge with traffic lights....they had years to redesign the road at carew park and have done nothing about it, the Maldron Hotel will suffer as a result and despite it been made clear that they built there for the passing trade they still do nothing about it.

Now they plan on pedestrising william street and o oconnell street bringing the traffic up sexton street and along hyde road...in the moring these streets are bumper to bumper as it is, and in the evening it is exactly the same. The road should be continued to Roxboro shopping centre as originally built and can anyone tell me what the road behind the old swimming centre knocked some years ago was for>??? as its still not used and light adjorn it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'd say it'll be fine. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

mysterious wrote: »
    People need to also get real about the tunnel. It's going to cost 4.50 one way to use it. People are not going to use this daily for commuting, you would be having a laugh. Traffic congestion or no congestion. 9 Euro back to over just to get to work. It's outrageous.

Where are you getting €4.50? It only going to be €1.90 a go for vehicles which is reasonable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Now they plan on pedestrising william street

Not fully, 2 lanes will remain with just loading, bus and limited parking available

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

tech2 wrote: »
    Where are you getting €4.50? It only going to be €1.90 a go for vehicles which is reasonable IMO.

That seems a more realistic pricing tbh, but has it been confirmed and where? The is no mention that I can find on their official website, and any mention of tolls in the papers in the past was purely speculative.

I think if it goes above the €2 or €2.5 each way, then it will be unrealistic for such a short stretch, as I doubt if travelling across the bridge route will cost a fiver or more a day in petrol for the distance of the Dock road to the Shannon dual carriageway, especially if some of the current dock road gridlock has been lessened by other motorists using the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Cars pay €1.60 at 2006 prices:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/huge-shannon-tunnel-project-gets-under-way-75442.html

which means what - €1.40 in today's prices?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

With all the money that must have been made by the speed camera van there on Friday morning you would think they wouldn't need a toll . I reckon they made enough to take the country out of the red .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

CJV between roadbridge, lagan and Strabag operating as Direct Route will be taking the toll for the next number of years. They are currently operating the Fermoy bypass which is €1.90 for cars.

Advertisement