Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Setter Pup Wanted

Options
  • 05-11-2009 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi I'm looking for a Red Setter Pup, must be IKC registered. I know it might sound a bit cliche but I want the pup in time for Christmas. No time waster please, the pup will be well loved and cared for. This is not a present for a child it's for me and my other half.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi there,
    Sorry, but you wont find many reputable decent breeders that have litters in time for christmas, and most breeders tend not to have litters around that time as there is so much going on at that time and its unfair on a young pup with all the comings and goings of christmas.

I would maybe contact the IKC and ask for a few contacts in red setters and chat to the breeders, they might have a litter due after christmas which you could a book a pup from.

But i would stay well clear of people advertising pups in time for christmas as they only have one thing on their mind and thats money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

wicklowway wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for a Red Setter Pup, must be IKC registered. I know it might sound a bit cliche but I want the pup in time for Christmas. No time waster please, the pup will be well loved and cared for. This is not a present for a child it's for me and my other half.

are you going to show the Setter? cos if not there is a red setter in need of a new home here http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/adoption.html

although he does have sever hip dysplasia - is this common in setters?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Handsome Timber [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]is a neutered male red setter, approximately 1 and a half years old. He was found straying and half starved and was of a very timid disposition. He has been with a foster family for the last few months and is now looking for his forever home. Timber is very playful and quite strong so he will be looking for a kind but firm owner who preferably has owned a dog previously. He is very sociable towards other dogs, and loves playing with them, so he would easily fit in with a family that already has a dog. He also behaves well around horses and livestock. Timber is a very affectionate dog and loves a cuddle. He is fully house trained. Timber would be ideally suited to a home in a rural setting with a large enclosed area where he can be exercised and trained, and will need someone to be at home with him most of the day. Timber suffers from severe hip dysplasia which will need to be taken into account by his new owners, as he takes supplements for his hips and heavy exercise should be avoided. A home check will be necessary before rehoming. Timber is fully vaccinated and micro-chipped. [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Paul91 wrote: »
    are you going to show the Setter? cos if not there is a red setter in need of a new home here http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/adoption.html

although he does have sever hip dysplasia - is this common in setters?

If this dog is severely dysplastic then he is going to need surgery no two ways about. Severe hip dysplasia cannot be managed with supplements and restricted exercise. Chances are he will need a total hip replacement in the future which is something that this rescue centre should make people aware of as it is a very costly procedure. I know you were only trying to help Paul91 and tht is what i am doing too as I think the OP needs to know this if he considering this dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

merryhappy wrote: »
    If this dog is severely dysplastic then he is going to need surgery no two ways about. Severe hip dysplasia cannot be managed with supplements and restricted exercise. Chances are he will need a total hip replacement in the future which is something that this rescue centre should make people aware of as it is a very costly procedure. I know you were only trying to help Paul91 and tht is what i am doing too as I think the OP needs to know this if he considering this dog.

I had a GSD with severe hip dysplasia, (as in Hip = ball and socket. My dogs socket was so shallow instead of being 'cup' shaped it was more like a saucer and the 'ball' of the leg joint was a triangular shape) diagnosed at 18 months old, vet said he didn't know how the dog was standing, let alone running around like a loony. His muscles did a fabulous job of allowing him the mobility by strengthening and holding the joint in place. He NEVER had surgery, he never ever had any problems either.
    I lost him aged 11 years to CDRM.:mad:

So Hip Dysplasia is not the same in all dogs and you can't write them off because of it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 countryhounds

We have 2 Irish Setters and we are currently in the process of looking for another. There is pups due in the new year from a breeder I enquired about. I doubt you will get any around the Christmas season.

This is our two dogs Ole and Hector.

Both dogs were got in Lurgan....if you want me to ask either of the breeders just send me a pm

Hector 10 months

2A3BB99858E74C9C9C3638EB2D79599B-800.jpg

Ole

2.5 years who loves dry land mushing

21b2kya.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

There is a four year old up for adoption here.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/dublin_homes.html

Ruby, she's second from the bottom of the page.

Doesn't seem to be any problems with here, very nice coat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

funkyjebus wrote: »
    There is a four year old up for adoption here.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/dublin_homes.html

Ruby, she's second from the bottom of the page.

Doesn't seem to be any problems with here, very nice coat too.

i actaully came across her on Dogs in Distress website today. she is beautiful :). OP would you consider a young dog as opposed to a puppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 agusia

hi my name is agata we're intrested in the puppy hector.I would like to take him does it cost something? and where are you locatated? we had a dog a flat coated retriver he was 2 years but unfurtunatly he went ill and he died we really miss him and hector looks like him just he was black and we would like to take him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

agusia wrote: »
    hi my name is agata we're intrested in the puppy hector.I would like to take him does it cost something? and where are you locatated? we had a dog a flat coated retriver he was 2 years but unfurtunatly he went ill and he died we really miss him and hector looks like him just he was black and we would like to take him.

I doubt very much if Hector- beauty!- is for rehoming. I think you need to re-read that post.

We have 2 Irish Setters and we are currently in the process of looking for another. There is pups due in the new year from a breeder I enquired about. I doubt you will get any around the Christmas season.

This is our two dogs Ole and Hector.

Both dogs were got in Lurgan....if you want me to ask either of the breeders just send me a pm

Hector 10 months

2A3BB99858E74C9C9C3638EB2D79599B-800.jpg

Ole

2.5 years who loves dry land mushing

21b2kya.jpg

I'm dying to know, how do the red setters do energy wise against the husky? I used to walk a red setter for a sick neighbour YEARS ago, buy wow, what amazing energy that dog had, he was never tired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 countryhounds

agusia wrote: »

I'm sorry Hector isn't for sale
    Sorry about the loss of your dog
    I'm dying to know, how do the red setters do energy wise against the husky? I used to walk a red setter for a sick neighbour YEARS ago, buy wow, what amazing energy that dog had, he was never tired.

Ole seems to be never tired when he is working. His stamina and energy are growing all the time, the more he does this sport. He loves nothing more to run and once he see's his harness he is popping his head into in before you can get it on right.

He can keep up with the Huskies, but prefers to sprint and try and pass them out lol He works great with that Mal in the photo called Dexter.

That sounds about right, boundless energy. Beautiful dogs you have, good luck with them.

Advertisement