Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beamish

Options
  • 05-11-2009 11:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I noticed lately that in my new local (just moved), all the auldfellas in the bar were ordering Beamish instead of Guinness. Anyway I have picked up on this and have started to drink it. It's €3.70 a pint as opposed to €4.35 for Guinness.
    It's absolutely DELICIOUS! Quite similar texture to Guinness but has a bit more of a coffee ice creamy taste off it I think. I refuse to pay an extra 65c for the Guinness. What are your opinions of it Guinness drinkers? Will you be joining the Beamish revolution?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Enjoy it while you can. Its days may be numbered since its home brewery was closed down earlier this year.

I think it tastes exactly the same as Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

I find beamish alot sweeter did drink it for awhile but went back to the ald reliable an its only 3.50 in my local:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's an unsung hero. I sometimes got slagged for being a cheapskate, drinking the 'poorman's Guinness'. However, seeing that it tastes better AND costs less - you'd want to be mad to order Guinness if the Beamish option is there amongst the taps.

The Beamish tastes solid and full of flavour all the way down. The end of a Guinness goes funny on you when left to the air I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Have to say that I do enjoy a pint of beamish when visiting the inlaws in Cork.

Its a divil down there though as all 3 stouts can be getting a good pull so youre always left wondering which one to go for next, should i change or stick with what I'm on?

Head to head I'd nearly go for the Beamish rather than Guinness or Murphys if I had to say which was best.
    It just has more complexity of flavour.
    Lovley pint.

Its supposed to be brewed in Murphys/ Heineken Ireland when the brewery down town closes but whether its the same will be another matter.
    And whether in the long term it'll remain available is also another question.

Big company brewing is about marketing more than the product.
    And if Heineken can eliminate Beamish they'll have more money time and energy to push Murphys.

Its already happened in Europe.
    Beamish was withdrawn as one of the first acts of Heineken taking over the Scottish/ Newcastle gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Poor Man Guinness my arse

Beamish in Cork City
    Murphys in the county

Guinness for when you are in places there be dragons

• Advertisement

Its supposed to be brewed in Murphys/ Heineken Ireland when the brewery down town closes but whether its the same will be another matter.
    If you didn't notice the change, which happened over the summer, then the answer is "yes, it's the same".
    Beamish was withdrawn as one of the first acts of Heineken taking over the Scottish/ Newcastle gig.
    And the discontinuation of Beamish Red, which turned out to have been a boon for Cork's Irish-owned brewery, The Franciscan Well, who now have lots of new customers for their Rebel Red ale.

Like all big breweries, Beamish & Crawford were players of the buy-them-up-and-shut-them-down game. Their own closure is a real live by the sword, die by the sword situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    If you didn't notice the change, which happened over the summer, then the answer is "yes, it's the same".

And the discontinuation of Beamish Red, which turned out to have been a boon for Cork's Irish-owned brewery, The Franciscan Well, who now have lots of new customers for their Rebel Red ale.

Like all big breweries, Beamish & Crawford were players of the buy-them-up-and-shut-them-down game. Their own closure is a real live by the sword, die by the sword situation.

Who did Beamish & Crawford swallow up?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Beamobhoy

Don't care if Beamish was twice the price of Guinness - it'll still be the one I drink!

Who did Beamish & Crawford swallow up?
    Lane's Southgate Porter Brewery for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Are Heineken not trying to set it up a a boutique beer (dunno how they'll manage that though).
    If I'm back in cork my preference would be Murphys and then Beamish cos I think Murphys is the creamier pint.
    I was surprised to find Beamish in more pubs in Dublin than Murphys. Even more surprised when I saw lots of Beamish memorabilia in a few pubs in London along with a picture of the Queen Mother pulling a pint back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Beamobhoy

Even more surprised when I saw lots of Beamish memorabilia in a few pubs in London along with a picture of the Queen Mother pulling a pint back in the day.

You trying to put me off my favorite pint??!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Living in the pale but originally from cork and ther are Beamish pints as nice as i've ever tastted in the Beggars bush beside the labour court. I was always told Beamish was the protestant drink and Murphys the catholic as before being breweries they used to be banks.

Love the stuff anyways. Nothing like a pint of beamish and pack of cheese and onion taytos after a tough day.

Are Heineken not trying to set it up a a boutique beer
    What? What does that even mean? I think its national distribution owes more to it being a value brand. If Heineken want to keep it on, I'd say it'll be as that.
    Even more surprised when I saw lots of Beamish memorabilia in a few pubs in London along with a picture of the Queen Mother pulling a pint back in the day.
    No surprise there: the Beamishes and Crawfords were two good Ascendancy families, loyal to Queen and Country, no doubt. Just like the Smithwicks and the Guinnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

For one who worked in Beamish, tasted it several times a day and the Beamish today (havent tasted it in over a month) and the Beamish of 12 months ago are very different animals. Less roast aroma and nose for one. It is slightly more creamier , that alcohol warming effect is now nearly gone the bitterness is slightly more pronounced than before (which I think is a good think). Must try it over the weekend just to see if it has changed since.
    Personnally my favourite is O'Haras and even when I was working at South Main Street it was O'Haras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Beamish is my favourite drink by a good bit. its cheaper and i find a lovely sweeter taste than guinness. ive always maintained that the only thing guinness has over beamish is their marketing department.

i truely hope the end isnt near for beamish i would be devastated! the red ale was delicious, but was gotten rid of :(

strangely enough i have never had o'haras

topper75 wrote: »
    It's an unsung hero. I sometimes got slagged for being a cheapskate, drinking the 'poorman's Guinness'. However, seeing that it tastes better AND costs less - you'd want to be mad to order Guinness if the Beamish option is there amongst the taps.

The Beamish tastes solid and full of flavour all the way down. The end of a Guinness goes funny on you when left to the air I find.

cheapskate my backside, why pay more for an inferior product ;)

thorpe wrote: »
    For one who worked in Beamish, tasted it several times a day and the Beamish today (havent tasted it in over a month) and the Beamish of 12 months ago are very different animals. Less roast aroma and nose for one. It is slightly more creamier , that alcohol warming effect is now nearly gone the bitterness is slightly more pronounced than before (which I think is a good think). Must try it over the weekend just to see if it has changed since.
    Personnally my favourite is O'Haras and even when I was working at South Main Street it was O'Haras.

making me thirsty with those pictures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

Im currently putting together my old photos of the plant, the processes, the charachters and going to put them up on my flickr page. I will post a link to the page when its up and running.

Cool! Did they use actual real hops?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I picked up a can of the 3 big ones a few weeks ago and the sweetness in beamish was on a crazy level I thought,
    I could literally smell the sweetness from a meter or 2 away - whereas I could drink guinness using my nose without really getting anything other than annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Me and all my friends turned to Beamish cos the pints are delicious in my local.

The fact that it is cheaper did help a little too. I would drink Guinness when in town as its more readily available.

Beamish FTW. :D

Also, does anyone have information on how many hundred micro breweries Guinness swallowed up in Dublin? I heard a figure before but can't remember. But it's BIG!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Murphyt

I tried a few cans of beamish last week and I was not impressed, I realise cans are not a good judge but the cans of murphys had more of a coffee flavour that brought something to the table. I never got to try a pint of Beamish in cork and feel I missed out on something there.
    Had my first bottle of O'Haras stout last night and it was wonderful, beautiful chocolate tone, I also had a bottle of the O'Haras irish red and it is a lovely winter ale good weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

topper75 wrote: »
    It's an unsung hero. I sometimes got slagged for being a cheapskate, drinking the 'poorman's Guinness'.
    This is the sad truth, I have said it in many threads -I think if Beamish increased its price, or rather had always been around the same price as Guinness that it would be more popular.

Beer pricing and perception of quality has always puzzled me, and peoples concepts of pricing with beer and supposed quality. They presume beamish "must be crap" if it is so cheap. I know people who would turn their nose up at many beers simply since they are cheap, the recurring trend now is reducing once "premium" or rather "highly priced" beers to be €1 a bottle, like heineken, bud, coors, corona- since these were once expensive people still consider them "premium" beers, yet still would be illogically snobbish about other "non-billboard" €1 beers.

The making of a pint is probably around 15cent, yet people will irrationally attach a "worth" to a beer, and not question it. Like why does a pint of the fermented grain in one barrel cost €1.50 more than in the one next to it.

All these bud/heineken drinkers are delighted with their €1 bottles, should they really be thinking "WTF, 15-16 years ago I was paying £1.30 (€1.65) for a bottle, they've been overcharging me for years"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

thorpe wrote: »
    Im currently putting together my old photos of the plant, the processes, the charachters and going to put them up on my flickr page. I will post a link to the page when its up and running.

Hi Thorpe

Please PM me when you have them up. I worked there myself for 6 years and I would love to see them.

I actually called into South Main Street during the week. I knew two of my friends were two of the last to leave and I thought I might catch them but it turns out they both finished about 2 weeks ago. It is a very sad sight to see the place empty. I had a great time working there and I would never have left it but myself and my wife want to be closer to our parents and the commute would just be too much.

I always have a few cans of Beamish in the fridge. My local doesn't stock it, but any time I am in a pub that has it I give it a lash. There are a few places here in Limerick that you can get a decent pint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'm absolutely F*CKED up at work now because of Beamish, god I hate it right now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I've only very recently gotten into stout and of the big three i've tasted, Beamish is definitely the best value for money. At E3 a pint in my local, you cant get much better. And only a stones throw from South Main St. It has the creamiest texture, nutty character and sweetest taste of them all. Murphys is ok, it has a very coffee-like texture which i aint mad about. Guinness is just watery $hite. Diageo have done a wonderful job convincing consumers that Guinness is worth spending money on, when nothing could be further from the truth. A case of the emperors clothes me thinks.

*I have noticed that in the offies where i work at in Cork, Guinness is a really slow seller compared to Murphys and Beamish. Long may it continue!

grenache wrote: »
    I've only very recently gotten into stout and of the big three i've tasted, Beamish is definitely the best value for money. At E3 a pint in my local, you cant get much better. And only a stones throw from South Main St. It has the creamiest texture, nutty character and sweetest taste of them all. Murphys is ok, it has a very coffee-like texture which i aint mad about. Guinness is just watery $hite. Diageo have done a wonderful job convincing consumers that Guinness is worth spending money on, when nothing could be further from the truth. A case of the emperors clothes me thinks.

*I have noticed that in the offies where i work at in Cork, Guinness is a really slow seller compared to Murphys and Beamish. Long may it continue!

hear hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Beamish is too much like Guinness down to the temperature it's served at. I was drinking it there a while ago and left it for 10mins to try to let it warm up. Any alternative is good regardless but I'd prefer Murphys. Actually I'd prefer O'Hara's but no chance of seeing that anywhere any time soon.

grenache wrote: »

Same in our place, Beamish outsells Guinness four times over. Murphys is dying a death though, no ones buying it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement