Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spaying

Options
  • 05-11-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

just booked Tilly into get "done" on the 20th of this month. Poor baby hope she'll be ok. I have read some horror stories on this when it goes wrong! Some good stories please make me feel better! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

She will be absolutely fine :) I sometimes think it's harder on us.

Your vet will give you a care sheet when you pick her up but from my own experience I'll give you some pointers.

May sure you have an emergency number for your vets. You won't need it but being prepared and knowing it's there will make you feel better.

She might be a bit groggy and out of sorts when you pick her up. All perfectly normal after a GA. Make sure you get the vet/vet nurse to show you the stitches and take a good note of what they look like. You'll have to inspect them twice a day until they come out so make sure you know if there are any changes in them. Feed her lightly that evening, chicken and rice or some scrambled eggs, don't give her a huge meal as she will have been fasting since the day before. Give her access to plenty of water, I always find they are very thirsty after and if she coughs a little don't be alarmed, it's from the tube. She will have been given a long lasting painkilling injection after the op so you more than likely won't have any pain relief medication to give her. However if you would feel better having some to hand in case then ask your vet. Keep her warm and quiet and only bring her ourside on the lead for toilet breaks. Lift her in and out of the car, bed, seats, etc. You don't want her bursting her stitches. Also make sure that she has her elizabethan collar on at all times unless under very strict supervision, she's not to lick or tear at the stitches so if you can't see her, collar on!

You will probably have a check-up at the vets on day 3 to check everything is in order. No strenuous exercise until the stitches come out. You might want to research some mentally stimulating games you can play with her in the meantime to keep her occupied. Stitches come out in 10 days and you're good to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks for the info, thats very helpful. I have just changed the appointment to next Friday now. I have to go down home to my mam the weekend of the 20th and so I want her to have a bit of peace in our house after and not have to deal with the dogs down home. Getting it done on the Friday seems to be the best bet, we will have the weekend to keep an eye on her.

will she be ok in the car after? we have to drive from Castlebar to Oranmore approx 1 hour 15 mins depending on traffic. its our regular vets and want them to do it instead of getting someone we dont know in galway.

Thanks again :D its a stressful time!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tilly Tally

I was exactly like you this week - my poor babies (one male, one female) were "done" this week. I was nearly sick all day waiting to hear how they were but everything went really well. They were very sleepy and kinda miserable that evening but by the time I put them to bed, they were starting to perk up, had a small bit to eat and plenty of water. I gave them a hot water bottle wrapped up in their bedding as they were feeling cold - they happily snuggled up with it. By the next morning, they were back to normal - demanding food and looking for cuddles. Do just mind that she doesn't get too active too quickly and hurt herself. I've noticed that my girl is more cautious at the moment and isn't jumping around as much as her brother - she knows to be careful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

felt the same when i had Tyson done, but he jumped over a shed the day after! she'll be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

TillyGirl wrote: »
    will she be ok in the car after? we have to drive from Castlebar to Oranmore approx 1 hour 15 mins depending on traffic. its our regular vets and want them to do it instead of getting someone we dont know in galway.

She should be fine in the car, but she may vomit. Quite a few of them vomit after the anaesthetic, and bobbing around in the car won't help. Usually, they just want to sleep after they have had an op. If you are worried, it might be a better idea to leave the drive until the next morning, as opposed to the night she comes home. Also, if you are going to drive, don't feed her until you arrive at your destination - will prevent any dodgy stomach moments in the car.

The ladies tend to be more affected then the boys - it's a bigger operation for them (although, if you ask any bloke he will disagree!). Just try to keep her as quiet and calm as possible (easier said than done), check her stitches daily and keep the lampshade on her at night and any other time you cannot supervise her. You can take it off and keep a close eye on her, a little licking is ok but if she is at the stitches it is probably best to keep it on all the time (this really depends on the dog). If, at any point, her stitches seem very red, swollen, hot, oozy or sore to touch then you will need to bring her back to the vet (it tend to be a minor infection that a course of antibiotics will clear up). She might get diarrhea from the anaesthetic for a day or two afterwards, this is totally normal. Try feeding her little meals more often as opposed to one big meal to ease her belly.

It is very true that it is worse for the owner than it is for the pet when they are going under the knife. If, at any point, you are worried about her ring your vet - that's what they are there for!

Well done for getting her spayed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

The only problem I ever had after getting dogs spayed was in keeping them from running round like lunatics as if nothing had happened the day after the operation. Tilly will be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Maybe for your peace of mind you could call the vets and just ask them or the nurse just to quickly talk you through how they do the procedure as it does seem to vary vet to vet.

We had our family cat neutered about 6 weeks ago and they used internal disolvable stitches so no need for a lampshade collar or a return to the vets to have stitches removed, They also wake the cats up properly so when you collect them they are wide awake and in good form.

In any event I'd say the main thing is to make sure they have somewhere quiet and cozy to rest and only feed them little amounts. If any doubts definitely call the vet.

thanks for all the replies guys very helpful. just listening to gerry ryan (not by choice its on at work!) they are saying that all animals can show signs of agression after bring spayed.

anyone any experience of this?

I can't say thats i've ever noticed that. Its a week since my two were "done" and if anything, they are more affectionate. I grew up with cats and dogs as well and never saw any agression. If anything, they are more aggressive before being neutered with all the raging hormones!!

Thats what I would have thought. Just said I would ask! Just hoping it will all go well.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

No problem. Is it this Friday she's going in? Best of luck with it, hope it all goes well!!

Yes this Friday the 13th, good job I'm not superstitious! I'll be a wreck for the day, just cant wait for it to be over. Poor baby she is so tiny.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hi all,

just a quick update, Tilly got the op done yesterday, she was in good form when we collected her, more awake than I thought but she then slept all the way to galway. has been fine since, mostly sleeping. had a bit of trouble keeping her away from the stitches, had to go get her a cone this morning, she hates it. only had it on a few mins, there is no need when we are here. just for bedtime and for when we are at work.

Thanks for all the info, it was very helpful. she seems to think she is fine and nothing happened yesterday. jumping up on the couch, stairs etc but trying to limit it. is it a week before she can go for walks again?? she will be going mental in the house all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

For a minute I thought the OP was talking to themselves then realised the names were just similar lol.

"thanks for all the replies guys very helpful. just listening to gerry ryan (not by choice its on at work!) they are saying that all animals can show signs of agression after bring spayed.

anyone any experience of this?"

That show gets worse and worse after hearing the rubbish on it the other day I would take anything he or the listeners say with a grain of salt.

None of our animals showed a difference in personality after spaying, except for the rabbits who become more calm and less hormonal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vagante

When it comes to spaying cats-be careful afterwards, they can put on weight very easily.

Advertisement