Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding in shed floor?

Options
  • 05-11-2009 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hello all,

Im in the process of trying to get a concrete floor down in my shed. The problem is, water is standing on the ground level, about 4 inches. The water comes up to an inch below my foundation level. I can bucket the water away in about 10 mins but im left with 4 to 6 inches of mud:eek:

I cant lay my hardcore down on this because it will just sink, and next time it rains the water will probably raise above the hardcore. From what I gather the flooding is down to a high water table.

Any ideas on how to solve the problem will be much appreciated.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you can pour concrete into water providing itnot running water. as in the concrete does not mix with it.

providing the water is standing it should be alright. just make sure when you finsh there is no sitting water on the surface as this will lead to finish defects.

Concrete "cures" it does not dry out. its a chemical reaction so it will infact go hard under water. if you are a bit worried about this you can up your cement ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Very true, in fact concrete continuously cures, for years after it was first poured.

Anyway, just to say that I poured the base of my workshop/shed in the pouring rain and over a good few inches of puddle water and not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

I understand what your saying :) But I think the mud is the main problem after I bucket the water away. I have 3 ton of hardcore to cover an area of 17x12. I just have to hope the rain stays away for a few days I suppose:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

In the past a lean concrete mix, maybe only 3- 4" deep was placed over muddy ground (where previous excavations were heavily rained on). This was referred to as a "mud mat" and allowed work to progress in bad weather.

its also known as blinding.

i think in this situation you would not like to waste extra money on concrete.

Bail out the water .

line you r excavation with polythene.

so this was the mud will be beneatht the polythene and the water above it.

cheap , cheerful ( bar the rain!!)

then you can bucket out the water again without stirring up the mud

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Good idea with the polythene. At least it will give me a cleaner working surface area. Ill see how I get on with 3 ton of hardcore but something tells me ill be ordering more:rolleyes:

Thanks lads

you should be alright. usually we use a geotextile which is like a thick fabric. which stop mud pushing up through your hardcore. you will find the polythene will have a similar effect. just minimise movement on it and you should be grand. even if you nick a hole in it you should be alright

Advertisement