Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what brands of plain or self raising flour are vegan

Options
  • 05-11-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hope you guys can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I hadn't thought about this. Many E numbes in products are preservatives (like vit C), so your best best is to look them up if you are worried. Raising agents... I think we were worried about animal derived sources in bought bread, but i've never come across the issue.

My Odlums strong white flour has: wheat flour, vital wheat gluten, calcium carbonate and alpha-amylase.
    Hmmm...
    wikipedia
    "α-Amylase is the major form of amylase found in humans and other mammals. It is also an enzyme present in seeds which reserves are made of starch, or in fungi (baking yeast for instance). The enzyme cuts alpha-bonds of large sugar molecules."
    Hmmm

My self raising Odlums flour: Wheat flour, raising agents: sodium bicarbonate, mono calcium phosphate, sodium acid pyrophosphate.
    As a chemistry PhD, the ingredients for the self raising sound grand.

A further suggestion for the plain flour is to use unbleached white flour from Dove's Farm. Available in most health food stores. That company are great and label all their products as Vegan (where appropriate) among other things. If you have a look, let us know the ingredients.

Didn't realise there was some Doves Farm Organic Strong White Flour in the house.

Ingredients: Wheat, ascorbic acid. "the bread and flour regulations also require the following nutrients to be added to all white flour: calciium carbonate, iron, thiamin (vitamin B1) and nicotinic acid."

Advertisement